Rocky Top

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
FWIW, I know a few GHers were yapping about this earlier in the summer...Band does have the music for Rocky Top. Whether we use it or not remains to be seen, but the band got it this week.

I say play it only if we're going to win. If we're getting blown out, it won't have the same impact.

I say play it only if we're going to win. If we're getting blown out, it won't have the same impact.

Agreed. It'll have the reverse impact IMO (like, "Really? You're playing that now?"). I knew folks in the band back in '03 and I remembered how bummed they were after the Michigan game. Not only did they have to watch the same thing we all did, but they had prepared and practiced a rendition of Little Brown Jug for when we won. Here's hoping this year's band doesn't have to face the same disappointment. :)

Don't play it. Tacky and stupid. At least when it was played at the MCB against Alabama there was the guise of honoring the state of Tennessee by playing their state song, against USC it would just be unsporting and amateurish.

I say play it for the very reason SKI-U-Mah say's not to

Lane Kiffin treated college football and the University of Tennessee with a lot of disrespect saying and pulling what he did. If anyone deserves a good old does of Rocky Top it is Lane Kiffin.
Lane Kiffin = Pete Carrol.

Lane Kiffin treated college football and the University of Tennessee with a lot of disrespect saying and pulling what he did. If anyone deserves a good old does of Rocky Top it is Lane Kiffin.
Lane Kiffin = Pete Carrol.

Going after an individual is a waste of the band's effort and it is incredibly immature.

Going after an individual is a waste of the band's effort and it is incredibly immature.

So instead the band should sit on their hands and let music be pumped in?

This is college football - it's always enjoyable to poke fun at the other team/coach. I love the idea!

The Gophers, or at least the Minnesota Marching Band, would pick up about 4 million fans from the state of Tennessee if they played Rocky Top as Lane Kiffin ran onto the field.

I bet the Stanford band would do this if they had the idea first. PLEASE play 'Rocky Top,' perhaps several times. The best, I think, would be as USC comes into the stadium. Then maybe after every USC score (hopefully less often than we fear).... -Joe :)

I agree.....this needs to be done.

As Banya would say to Jerry, "That's Gold!"

I don't get it.

Playing the fight song from opposing head coaches' former school is considered "funny" even though he was there for one year? They didn't even fire him - he left for one of the top coaching jobs in college football.....at the age of 34.

Did the band play the Florida fight song when Illinois played here last year? Or the Cincinnati fight song when MSU visited?

This sums up my thoughts on the issue:

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: *Let's do it*!

I bet the Stanford band would do this if they had the idea first. PLEASE play 'Rocky Top,' perhaps several times. The best, I think, would be as USC comes into the stadium. Then maybe after every USC score (hopefully less often than we fear).... -Joe :)

No, you only play it if we win.

The only time to play it is pre-game when the teams are warming up and when USC runs on the field.

What would be the point of playing it at any time other than after you've just won the game?

Top Bottom