Rochester Post Bulletin Faceoff: Have you caught Fleck fever?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Post Bulletin:

FELDY: Phersy, are you feeling elite today? We haven't had a chance to chat much in this space yet about the state's newest salesman, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck. I say "salesman" not in a negative way; I'm buying into this guy in a way I never could with Tim Brewster, who turned out to be exactly what his resume said: A guy who was in way over his head as a college head coach. Fleck has proved himself at the D-1 level. Now he's going to try to do it here. Can he turn his group of 3-star recruits into a Big Ten contender?

PHERSY: Here's what I'll say about those comparing him to Brewster — how many casual football fans knew Western Michigan had a Division I program before Fleck took over? I'm guessing very few. Fleck has proven himself, as a recruiter and a coach. So, the blind negativity of a few elderly curmudgeons is simply sad, and it's a bit odd to write him off before he ever coaches a game in the Land of 10,000 Lakes. I'm skeptical, but I'm not cynical; that means I'll give the guy a chance before labeling him as nothing more than a snake-oil salesman. And frankly, he's doing well so far. Generally, when a new coach is hired, the recruiting class takes a major hit. With Fleck, the recruiting class has jumped 20 spots nationally, and it has moved past Iowa's incoming class. That should speak volumes to Minnesota fans.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_8a47d921-f998-5b7c-a540-1930fa4dcf85.html

Go Gophers!!

per the Post Bulletin:

FELDY: Phersy, are you feeling elite today? We haven't had a chance to chat much in this space yet about the state's newest salesman, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck. I say "salesman" not in a negative way; I'm buying into this guy in a way I never could with Tim Brewster, who turned out to be exactly what his resume said: A guy who was in way over his head as a college head coach. Fleck has proved himself at the D-1 level. Now he's going to try to do it here. Can he turn his group of 3-star recruits into a Big Ten contender?

PHERSY: Here's what I'll say about those comparing him to Brewster — how many casual football fans knew Western Michigan had a Division I program before Fleck took over? I'm guessing very few. Fleck has proven himself, as a recruiter and a coach. So, the blind negativity of a few elderly curmudgeons is simply sad, and it's a bit odd to write him off before he ever coaches a game in the Land of 10,000 Lakes. I'm skeptical, but I'm not cynical; that means I'll give the guy a chance before labeling him as nothing more than a snake-oil salesman. And frankly, he's doing well so far. Generally, when a new coach is hired, the recruiting class takes a major hit. With Fleck, the recruiting class has jumped 20 spots nationally, and it has moved past Iowa's incoming class. That should speak volumes to Minnesota fans.

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_8a47d921-f998-5b7c-a540-1930fa4dcf85.html

Go Gophers!!

Huh! He reads GopherHole.

Generally, when a new coach is hired, the recruiting class takes a major hit. With Fleck, the recruiting class has jumped 20 spots nationally, and it has moved past Iowa's incoming class. That should speak volumes to Minnesota fans.

Spot on.

Top Bottom