Robin Revealed as Bisexual in Batman Comic Book: 'Tim Drake… Do You Want to Go on a Date with Me?'

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Is nothing scared? I blame the Teletubbies!!!!

Instead of Batman, it's his sidekick Robin's storyline that now has DC Comics fans excited.

In the most recent issue of Batman: Urban Legends, a new chapter for Tim Drake, also known as Robin, unfolds when it's revealed he's bisexual.

The sweet moment has been building for a couple of issues.

In part 1 of the Sum of Our Parts story, Tim meets up with his old friend Bernard for dinner. But their plan goes awry when Bernard is kidnapped by Chaos Monster, according to Entertainment Weekly. Fast forward to part 3, featured in the current issue of Urban Legends #6, and Bernard has been rescued. He tells Robin that he wishes he could have finished his date with Tim, not realizing they were one and the same. Later in the story, Tim knocks on Bernard's door.

for better or worse, the comic book industry is doing a big push to be more inclusive - more characters who are minorities, LGBTQ, different religions, etc. The same goes for comic book creators, who for years were almost entirely an 'old boys club.'

on a slightly different tack, there was a big to-do online recently after an animated "Harley Quinn" episode was edited to remove a scene where Batman was giving 'oral pleasure' to Catwoman. the people behind the decision claimed that they thought it would hurt merchandise sales........

for better or worse, the comic book industry is doing a big push to be more inclusive - more characters who are minorities, LGBTQ, different religions, etc. The same goes for comic book creators, who for years were almost entirely an 'old boys club.'

on a slightly different tack, there was a big to-do online recently after an animated "Harley Quinn" episode was edited to remove a scene where Batman was giving 'oral pleasure' to Catwoman. the people behind the decision claimed that they thought it would hurt merchandise sales........
You're probably right here. At the end of the day, regardless of the industry, companies are going to do what they think best impacts the bottom line. It's about profit and loss, and if they feel a move towards more diverse characters is ultimately going to improve that, they are most definitely going to do that. I have zero issue with this, it's what has driven the way our capitalist country has operated for over a hundred years. You have to do what you think is most positively going to impact your company's balance sheet.

They must be selling too many comic books.

Is nothing scared? I blame the Teletubbies!!!!

Instead of Batman, it's his sidekick Robin's storyline that now has DC Comics fans excited.

In the most recent issue of Batman: Urban Legends, a new chapter for Tim Drake, also known as Robin, unfolds when it's revealed he's bisexual.

The sweet moment has been building for a couple of issues.

In part 1 of the Sum of Our Parts story, Tim meets up with his old friend Bernard for dinner. But their plan goes awry when Bernard is kidnapped by Chaos Monster, according to Entertainment Weekly. Fast forward to part 3, featured in the current issue of Urban Legends #6, and Bernard has been rescued. He tells Robin that he wishes he could have finished his date with Tim, not realizing they were one and the same. Later in the story, Tim knocks on Bernard's door.

In other breaking news: Water is wet.

I didn't think a person's sexual background was a big deal any more. Surprised there is a thread on this.

I didn't think a person's sexual background was a big deal any more. Surprised there is a thread on this.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't Ace.

Batman is one of the most popular comic books of all time, so that's why it was covered by the media.

It is a harmless thread in the dog dayz of August.

What I do is if a thread doesn't interest me, is not to click on it, let alone reply to it. I'm wondering if you find the subject matter offensive and/or you're one of those guys who likes to bitch/complain about things, as it make you feel superior than actually posting any threads yourself (a quick peek shows no thread started by you on the front page of any forum!).

Hint: Robin is also a fictional person

I never really understood the comic book craze. I never bought one, and thought they were dumb. JMO.

I never really understood the comic book craze. I never bought one, and thought they were dumb. JMO.
The books I get as a niche/hobby/collectable.

F'ing comic book movies ..... do not F'ing get it. Do not want.

(Dark Knight was great, don't get me wrong, but they immediately spoiled it with the sequel)

As you can tell from my avatar, I am a comic book person. Started reading them casually back in the early to mid-1960's. I have been collecting seriously since about '91. (Marvel - not DC).

For me, it's just another form of entertainment. I see no difference in watching a story on TV or reading a story in comic book form. I tend to approach books from the writing aspect - I can appreciate the artwork, but I'm mainly there for the story and dialogue.

As far as comic book movies, like any movie, some are better than others. it's still telling a story about different characters - only the characters happen to wear costumes and have powers. I do prefer Marvel's approach to DC, and now Marvel is branching out with the Disney+ shows like "Loki."
it all gets back to that suspension of belief. if you can believe that Bryan Cranston is a meth dealer on "Breaking Bad," you can believe that Peter Parker can climb up walls and shoot webs. a good story is a good story, no matter which format it's being presented in.

As you can tell from my avatar, I am a comic book person. Started reading them casually back in the early to mid-1960's. I have been collecting seriously since about '91. (Marvel - not DC).

For me, it's just another form of entertainment. I see no difference in watching a story on TV or reading a story in comic book form. I tend to approach books from the writing aspect - I can appreciate the artwork, but I'm mainly there for the story and dialogue.

As far as comic book movies, like any movie, some are better than others. it's still telling a story about different characters - only the characters happen to wear costumes and have powers. I do prefer Marvel's approach to DC, and now Marvel is branching out with the Disney+ shows like "Loki."
it all gets back to that suspension of belief. if you can believe that Bryan Cranston is a meth dealer on "Breaking Bad," you can believe that Peter Parker can climb up walls and shoot webs. a good story is a good story, no matter which format it's being presented in.
Yeah, I’m not anywhere to the point you are on comic book movies or series, but I really like them. Daredevil, The Punisher, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, etc on Netflix. The Boys on Amazon. Was always anxious for the next season arrival so I could binge through.

SON, I also wanted to ask you about Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
You didn't ask me. But I'm definitely excited. If nothing else, we are finally getting a new big budget, Hollywood martial arts film. We haven't gotten that since the Jackie Chan and Jet Li craze.

SON, I also wanted to ask you about Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

I am only somewhat familiar with the character. In the comics, he has teamed up with the Avengers a few times. never collected any of his solo titles.

the character was created as a response to the martial arts buzz in the 70's with Bruce Lee and the "Kung Fu" TV series. he is supposed to be the best martial artist alive - at least with no super powers. In the comics, he has trained other heroes including Captain America and Spider-Man.

Interestingly enough, in the original version, Shang-Chi was the son of Fu Manchu - but Marvel has ret-conned that out to avoid the cultural stereotypes and inherent racism with the Fu Manchu character - the "Yellow Peril," which dates back to the creation of Fu Manchu in pulp literature in the 1920's. (Marvel also lost the rights to use Fu Manchu, so that has something to do with it)

the "10 rings" part is a little odd. In the Comics, the 10 Rings are used by The Mandarin, an Iron Man villain. Each of the rings in the comics has a different power. the Mandarin found/stole the rings from a dead alien (outer-space variety, not illegal alien). so it sounds like the movie version is doing a mash-up of a couple of characters - and the rings are not the same as the comic version.

Top Bottom