Rob Reeves

Reaction score
I noticed that Rob Reeves is no longer listed as the TE coach at Eastern Michigan. Does anyone know if he has taken another position or what the scoop is? I know his family stayed here while he coached at EMU. That has to be a big challenge as a dad.

He was offered a position coach job a Illinois but turned it down...Any insight on why?

Complete unrelated to anything but it amazes me how unaware common fans are about football and who knows and doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Pete Bersich is listened to on the radio by thousands every week as a football authority...head coaches at hill Murray....can’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

Another guy shows up at hill Murray and in a 6 game season puts up the most wins they’ve had since 2013

Yet people will still listen to what bersich says on the radio

Complete unrelated to anything but it amazes me how unaware common fans are about football and who knows and doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Pete Bersich is listened to on the radio by thousands every week as a football authority...head coaches at hill Murray....can’t coach his way out of a paper bag.

Another guy shows up at hill Murray and in a 6 game season puts up the most wins they’ve had since 2013

Yet people will still listen to what bersich says on the radio
I’m not necessarily saying it’s the case with Pete Bercich but it is possibly to know what you are talking about and still be a horrible coach/teacher.

I’m not necessarily saying it’s the case with Pete Bercich but it is possibly to know what you are talking about and still be a horrible coach/teacher.
Exactly. Many people have a hard time with this. I have known hundreds of coaches over 7 decades, some as clients, some as friends, most casually. They generally know the same things but their teaching ability varies from inept to brilliant. Another factor is recruiting which is simply not just about getting the most talent, blue bloods do that. It is seeing what is not so obvious that fits what you teach so well. Very few people are truly great at either and even less are great at both. Being a extraordinary teacher is a near magical experience for the student player. Nearly everyone can recall some sort of gift at least one of their teachers and coaches had that made a difference. They are like a force of nature. They have more than knowledge, they have wisdom.

It’s also possible he doesn’t know what he is talking about

If you are an awful coach/teacher then color commentator is a really strange job

“I am an awful teacher of how to build bridges”
“What do you do for a living”
“I guest lecture at the university engineering school”

Yeah perticularly with complicated leadership roles.

There's no meritocracy tied to volume of knowledge and outcomes.

Yeah perticularly with complicated leadership roles.

There's no meritocracy tied to volume of knowledge and outcomes.
Even so, color commentator is a strange job

Communication of football ideas is his job. And everyone argument to defend him is “maybe he has a lot of knowledge he just can’t communicate it to his players”

Even so, color commentator is a strange job

Communication of football ideas is his job. And everyone argument to defend him is “maybe he has a lot of knowledge he just can’t communicate it to his players”
Maybe you should apply for his job?

Maybe you should apply for his job?
I am not qualified to commentate on pro football.

Neither is he. He might not be qualified to commentate on football generally: he belongs on a message board with us

I've listened to enough Pete Berchich to be willing to bet a bit of money it's both issues for him.

I am not qualified to commentate on pro football.

Neither is he. He might not be qualified to commentate on football generally: he belongs on a message board with us
I wish they would swap him for Leber.

I wish they would swap him for Leber.
Leber is really good. I almost feel like he will unfortunately become a national guy instead

Good for him, but bad for the local market. He is good at college and pro analysis.

He was offered a position coach job a Illinois but turned it down...Any insight on why?

Can't say for sure but I would guess it was a family decision. Kids are in high school/middle school and don't want to move them. Wife and kids stayed in MN when he went to Eastern Michigan.

Can't say for sure but I would guess it was a family decision. Kids are in high school/middle school and don't want to move them. Wife and kids stayed in MN when he went to Eastern Michigan.
Yeah that's pretty clear

“This was just the right time and the right fit. Spending two years away from them and trying to do the best I could with the back and forth was just hard. And family is first with me. So, I’m excited to be back and excited to be home with everybody.”

Leber is really good. I almost feel like he will unfortunately become a national guy instead

Good for him, but bad for the local market. He is good at college and pro analysis.
My guess is Leber becomes a top national broadcaster in college football.

He isn’t “hot take” enough to be a national show guy. But I could see Him becoming one of fox’s big time sideline guys for the Romo team

He isn’t “hot take” enough to be a national show guy. But I could see Him becoming one of fox’s big time sideline guys for the Romo team
You don't think he could be a national level color guy for Fox or whoever? I think he could.

You don't think he could be a national level color guy for Fox or whoever? I think he could.
Color guy I could see. He currently doesn’t do color though so he would have to start doing some probably

I couldn’t see him being a national daily radio show guy though. He is too rational in his takes.

Color guy I could see. He currently doesn’t do color though so he would have to start doing some probably

I couldn’t see him being a national daily radio show guy though. He is too rational in his takes.
Agree. National radio sports guys are hard to listen to though. Most anyway.

Color guy I could see. He currently doesn’t do color.

Ben Leber absolutely does color commentary.

He works for FS1 and does a tremendous job. He had a national college game on TV almost every week this past season, including some Big Ten games.

He also does color commentary on Westwood One radio national broadcasts, both college and NFL.

So, he already is a national broadcaster.

Last edited:

He works for FS1 and does a tremendous job. He had a national college game on TV almost every week this past season, including some Big Ten games.

He also does color commentary on Westwood One radio national broadcasts, both college and NFL.

I’ve only seen him be sideline reporter guy

not shocked I am wrong

Yep. He's been fairly regional in the college games he has worked, but I could see him become a top one in the future who does most the big national game broadcasts.

Yep. He's been fairly regional in the college games he has worked, but I could see him become a top one in the future who does most the big national game broadcasts.

I don't know about him ever elevating to "Tier 1" type Joel Klatt/Spencer Tillman status at FOX, but he certainly could get into "Tier 2" Brady Quinn territory. Currently, he is working what I would categorize as "Tier 3" or "Tier 4" games. I think he had Nebraska-Iowa this year which was a nice stand-alone Black Friday game. I also don't think he gets a game every week, just most weeks.

Not to nitpick, but his work on FS1 is not regional. FS1 is a national cable outlet that hits 80 million+ households in the US and is not regional. Leber has done games in the Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, and Mountain West, so basically all over.

As you've mentioned, he is very good. Does his homework.

Last edited:

Not nitpicking. What I mean is he's mainly working regional broadcasts for a national outlet. He definitely moves around the country but the broadcasts are mostly regional. I'd trade Leber for Klatt in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom