Road Trip to Illinois

huntster17

Reaction score
Gopher fans who is going to Illinois? where are you planning to tailgate? I do know that the lots open at seven. Any input would be appreciated.

I'll be there, and planning on tailgating. Myself and 4 other alum buds will be meeting up in Chicago on Friday evening and driving down that night. Staying in some town to the south of campus called Tuscola. Planning on going out for some drinks on Friday as well (anybody got any recommendations on that front?)

Not sure on where we'd be tailgating yet, trying to figure out the lot situation as well. Would be good to know if there is a lot popular with opposing team fans.

I was just checking out the drive details. It's a greater distance than I was expecting, and I like your idea of flying into Chicago and renting a car, Bandana guy. Should be a fun game.
Can anyone chime in on whether the atmosphere at Champagne is decent?

I'll be there, and planning on tailgating. Myself and 4 other alum buds will be meeting up in Chicago on Friday evening and driving down that night. Staying in some town to the south of campus called Tuscola. Planning on going out for some drinks on Friday as well (anybody got any recommendations on that front?)

Not sure on where we'd be tailgating yet, trying to figure out the lot situation as well. Would be good to know if there is a lot popular with opposing team fans.

All of the bars on green st are very collegey. That means dumpy and cheap. This weekend is also Dad's weekend for the students so all the dads come down and party with the students. I always suggest KAM's even though it is a complete S***hole, just because of the atmosphere.

I'm doing a same day fly in & out/rent car to the game. There are some cheap flights and rental car deals. Beats driving from MN and probably not much difference in cost.

Go Gophers!

Champaign is a fun town - maybe not upper echelon in the Big Ten, but fun, though there will be little interest in the football game since the Illini are so bad. If you're a beer fan, the Blind Pig is a must. Not a ton of seating, so try to get there earlier in the evening to grab a table. If the weather is as nice as the forecast claims it will be, the patio at Cowboy Monkey is an excellent spot to check out the scenery. Esquire Lounge is good for cheap pitchers and free peanuts.

Champaign is a fun town - maybe not upper echelon in the Big Ten, but fun, though there will be little interest in the football game since the Illini are so bad. If you're a beer fan, the Blind Pig is a must. Not a ton of seating, so try to get there earlier in the evening to grab a table. If the weather is as nice as the forecast claims it will be, the patio at Cowboy Monkey is an excellent spot to check out the scenery. Esquire Lounge is good for cheap pitchers and free peanuts.

That's the kind of help I was looking for Jike! But any tailgating info out there? Huntster17's original question seems to have gotten lost in the wash...

I'm buying tickets today. What section are the Gopher fans in?

I will be there in section 110. Going down to Evanston friday night and Champagne saturday morning.

There are several tailgate lots around the stadium. I'm sure there is an "official" Gopher lot, but I don't know which one it is.

I'm buying tickets today. What section are the Gopher fans in?

I think they moved the visitors section to the upper deck this season, so I just went on StubHub and picked something better.

Thinking of going to my first away game. Looking at the map it really is not that far. When going to the east coast and avoiding Chicago I have made it to the I-39/I-80 interchange in just about 6 am, it is not much farther depending upon how fast you drive. I have also made it to Chicago in 5 hours and some change. The game starts as 230 so heading out at 4 sounds like a plan. I had thought about going to Northwestern would also be fun. I have no desire to go to Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thinking of going to my first away game. Looking at the map it really is not that far. When going to the east coast and avoiding Chicago I have made it to the I-39/I-80 interchange in just about 6 am, it is not much farther depending upon how fast you drive. I have also made it to Chicago in 5 hours and some change. The game starts as 230 so heading out at 4 sounds like a plan. I had thought about going to Northwestern would also be fun. I have no desire to go to Nebraska, Iowa, or Wisconsin.

Look into spirit airlines into o'hare for a day trip

yeah, looks like $200 rt msp to o'hare. Only Sunday return is ~7am.

FYI. Hotels are all booked up because of the Basketball game and Dad's weekend.

That's the kind of help I was looking for Jike! But any tailgating info out there? Huntster17's original question seems to have gotten lost in the wash...

I'm not so sure there is an "official" tailgating lot for Gopher fans. The Goal Line Club doesn't even have anything listed for Illinois. There are a lot of contract lots around Memorial Stadium, but the game day lots next to the baseball field are basically connected and you can wander from there.

Folks, still looking for a tailgaiting lot suggestion. I would to not be the only one who waves a gopher flag at a road game.

Folks, still looking for a tailgaiting lot suggestion. I would to not be the only one who waves a gopher flag at a road game.

Well, I'll be tailgating in some lot, somewhere (vague as that is). The lot map shows a lot of spaces, and it seems like tailgating is allowed at all lots (at least the way the Memorial Stadium website makes it seem.

I'd say Lot C is a pretty likely destination for our crew, with respect to its 'Game Day parking' and passes not required status. We'll shoot for there first, so maybe you'll spot us.

I'm curious about your comments. I've been to all the Big 10 stadiums you listed, plus Michigan and Indiana. I would rank Illinois at the bottom. Barely ahead of Indiana. To each their own, I know. I think you're missing something if you don't get to Iowa, Wisconsin or Nebraska. My next away game wish is Ohio State.

My sister/bro in laws used to live in Urbana and we would make that drive at least a time or two per year. I believe the roads are better now and it is a somewhat faster drive. We used to always budget 9 hours for the drive so I would think it would be a bit faster now. I loved the campus and it always seemed like a fun town, although I never made the trip for a football game.

I think it is about a 2-3 hour drive from Chicago so by the time you mess with airports, parking, rental cars, etc., plus the flight... It just seems like the trip would be best spent with a road trip. But that's me. I don't mind road trips at all.

Champaign is a really good time. In 2010, we had 16 of us there and we tailgated in what is called the Motorola lot according to the parking plan off Oak & St. Mary. I believe it was called the Atkins Building lot when I was there. It was full of Illinois fans(my group prefers to tailgate with the other team's fans). Many were season ticket holders who didn't want to pay the season ticket holder parking pass fees(sound familiar). There were a couple very large setups there, many who didn't go to the game but rather partied the whole time. This was in 2010, when they were bowl bound, so there was probably more buzz, plus the basketball team had a home game that night.

On Friday and Saturday, we went to Legends Bar & Grill for a relaxed feel and then went to Firehaus to make it more interesting. Firehaus is pretty cool, but it is a college bar. We also went to Murphy's Pub and KAM's.

I would definitely recommend going to a game there if you can. Sadly, I will not be there this year.

I went to grad school in Champaign and made the drive a lot. I agree with those who say budget 9 hours. Driving through Iowa adds only about an hour so if you want a change of scenery on the way home that's an option (or if you're leaving from AV, Eagan, Rosemount).

I haven't been back since they changed the stadium. The tailgate lots are fun. The bar scene is fun. Have a great time. Don't forget to get a La Bamba burrito as big as your head.

I think I am going to drive and it looks to be even faster going down 35 to Mason City, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, to I-80 and then over to I-39 and south. I love road trips and have driven this way going to the east coast. You drive through lots of nothing but there is no traffic.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boarding a plane in a few short hours and making the 8 hour flight into O'hare. Dr. Lloyd Christmas and another buddy will be picking me up in the sweet custom van we just purchased - group investments in tailgating rigs are the way to go, you guys.

We're planning to hit DeStihl brewery and the Blind Pig for a craft beer drinking contest on Friday - seems that there is a Stone Brewery anniversary going on and pitchers of Arrogant Bastard are $10. Sleeping in the rig, wherever it ends up being parked before the festivities begin. Hotels are for suckers.

:cool02::cool02:

that would be great, ill be in a gray jeep but have a kick butt flag pole with the correct flag on top of course

ive gone both ways but its faster to go to madison and take a right and go down through bloomington/normal.

Boarding a plane in a few short hours and making the 8 hour flight into O'hare. Dr. Lloyd Christmas and another buddy will be picking me up in the sweet custom van we just purchased - group investments in tailgating rigs are the way to go, you guys.
:cool02::cool02:

Boarding a plane from Ireland? What flight takes 8 hours to Madison? I appreciate your dedication either way.

Top Bottom