Rivals post season MN Top 10

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere...can't remember the exact list before but I believe there are a few changes.

1 Andre McDonald
2 Nick Davidson
3 Philip Nelson
4 Jonah Pirsig
5 Will Johnson
6 Isaac Hayes
7 Maxx Williams
8 Nick Rallis
9 Jonathan Harden
10 Mitch Leidner

Looks like we have 6 of the top 10 and may get WJ still.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/Minnesota/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2934

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere...can't remember the exact list before but I believe there are a few changes.

1 Andre McDonald
2 Nick Davidson
3 Philip Nelson
4 Jonah Pirsig
5 Will Johnson
6 Isaac Hayes
7 Maxx Williams
8 Nick Rallis
9 Jonathan Harden
10 Mitch Leidner

Looks like we have 6 of the top 10 and may get WJ still.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/Minnesota/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2934

Interesting, maybe i've missed something in the games that i've watched, but I can't believe there are 10 players in the state better than Webb.

Interesting, maybe i've missed something in the games that i've watched, but I can't believe there are 10 players in the state better than Webb.
Where does Webb have offers from though?

Just Toledo, but the consensus is that is because he has to get his grades up a bit, that'd change. His HS coach said something along those lines as well.

I don't know, I could just be way off too. But if you ever want to see some impressive tape watch Webb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzRMkHX8EZc
Ya but I doubt the evaluators at Rivals really hit Minnesota hard when they are scouting. They likely haven't watched anyone play unless they have a BCS offer. (just assumptions but it doesn't seem unreasonable)

Does he ever have a nose for the football. Something you can not teach. He would look good in the M&G!

Reminds me a bit of the honey badger the way he goes for the ball.

If it were up to me I'd have offered him and just prayed he got those grades up.

Reminds me a bit of the honey badger the way he goes for the ball.

If it were up to me I'd have offered him and just prayed he got those grades up.
A recruit can't help us if he can't stay in school!!! I firmly believe, that Coach Kill has developed a sense of what a kid needs to graduate, and is passing on kids that don't have it ie; Webb and Morris.

Webb's senior highlights are really impressive.
Hopefully he can get himself figured out academically.
I'm hopeful Coach Kill has had discussions with him that might find him in a gopher uniform at some point.

There must be some serious red flags with Webb if his only offer is Toledo. Could he be a preferred walk-on candidate?

The staff has done a great job of keeping the top MN kids at home. Keep in mind, Pirsig is rated #1 on Scout and Hayes is #1 on ESPN, so McDonald isn't exactly the consensus #1. I don't consider Davidson a MN kid since he's been here less than a year and Harden wasn't offered, so as of now we've got commitments from 6 of the 8 guys that we have targeted with the chance to make it 7 of 8 if Johnson decides to stay home.

There must be some serious red flags with Webb if his only offer is Toledo. Could he be a preferred walk-on candidate?

The staff has done a great job of keeping the top MN kids at home. Keep in mind, Pirsig is rated #1 on Scout and Hayes is #1 on ESPN, so McDonald isn't exactly the consensus #1. I don't consider Davidson a MN kid since he's been here less than a year and Harden wasn't offered, so as of now we've got commitments from 6 of the 8 guys that we have targeted with the chance to make it 7 of 8 if Johnson decides to stay home.
I agree on Davidson, how many games did he actually play in Mn? He may be one of the best five prospects living here, but I think there is more evidence this year based for the other kids on the list.

I really wanted to see Harden here. I feel like he's going to be very good at whatever non-aq school he's headed to

I'm so impressed with Kills recruiting efforts so far! I don't think we are going to have many or any guys drop their verbal at the last minute. I believe he knows the type of kid he wants and is only offering to kids that seem to really want to be interested.

Webb's senior highlights are really impressive.
Hopefully he can get himself figured out academically.
I'm hopeful Coach Kill has had discussions with him that might find him in a gopher uniform at some point.

Actually those are highlights from his Junior Season. He's the best Dback out of MN for as long as I can remember. I think he was better than Farrow (Va Tech).

Yeah, there must be red flags.

Ya but I doubt the evaluators at Rivals really hit Minnesota hard when they are scouting. They likely haven't watched anyone play unless they have a BCS offer. (just assumptions but it doesn't seem unreasonable)

I agree. I was just saying that for me, I would have ranked him right near the top and i've seen almost all of the metro kids play (and Nelson). I'm obviously pretty far from being an expert though.

Kim?

Brandon Robinson?

Dom?

Shevlin?

Gotta agree with Bob. Chevy and Robinson were both better offensive players in high school. Dom wasn't highly regarded at all - a lot of people thought he'd be a bust. I played against Kim and he was plenty good, but I'll give Webb the advantage here.

Why haven't we offered Harden a scholly? Aren't we in need of defensive line help? Having another big body can never hurt.

Just thought of another - Mike Lehan.

Well I didn't pay tons of attention to local recruiting when I was 11, but Mike was pretty darn good. He also worked at the Davanni's I frequented, which I'm sure made him the player he was.

Why haven't we offered Harden a scholly? Aren't we in need of defensive line help? Having another big body can never hurt.

God do we need help on our interior d line. Some have speculated size as to why we haven't offered Harden. Kill seems to know the exact type of player/kid he wants to bring into the program and it doesn't look like Harden is it. Probably not a slight against the kid, just not what big Jerry wants.

But these are the kids I like bringing into the program - undersized locals with a chip on their shoulder. Nick Rallis will be very easy to root for IMO. Same would have been true for Harden.

God do we need help on our interior d line. Some have speculated size as to why we haven't offered Harden. Kill seems to know the exact type of player/kid he wants to bring into the program and it doesn't look like Harden is it. Probably not a slight against the kid, just not what big Jerry wants.
I think you hit the nail on the head. He's a pure 0 technique DT and lacks the versatility Kill demands. He will be a good player for a team that uses a lot of 0 technique.

I think you hit the nail on the head. He's a pure 0 technique DT and lacks the versatility Kill demands. He will be a good player for a team that uses a lot of 0 technique.

Definitely a good player, but yes probably can't slide up and down the line like Kill and Claeys would prefer. He is also legit 5' 8'', maybe 5' 9'' not many DT's are that size, even in FBS/FCS programs. Very good luck to him, hope he has a great career at WMU.

Kim?

Brandon Robinson?

Dom?

Shevlin?

I wasn't really trying to speak in hyperbole as I did say that I thought he was the best that i'd seen in a long time.

Robinson and Dom were awhile ago. I thought Webb was a really similar player to Dom in HS. I actually think Webb is better in coverage than Dom was at that time.
Robinson...as someone else pointed out, I remember Robinson on offense (i was in college at that time so I didn't watch HS football as closely), but I really never noticed him much on defense.

Kim was really good in HS. I kind of forgot about him. I would put Webb right up there with Kim in HS though. They both play physical and Kim was more of a ball hawk in HS too (like Webb). I don't think Webb will ever be the physical player Kim is but I also think he has a higher upside in coverage. (No disrespect to Kim).

Shevlin...not as good of a DB as Webb. Shevlin was kind of like Nick Rallis. I think it was pretty apparent he would end up at LB and he was decent in coverage, but was much more of a LB type (who in HS was fast enough to play S).

Lehan is older than me, I don't remember him in HS.

I don't think of Harden as a 0 technique player. I am fine with Kill not offering, they know more about the limitations of a 5'9" DT than I would. But Harden's game is getting up field and being quick off the ball. I think he can do more than simply clog up the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2goDyOSQ1Gs&feature=related

PS: If people are annoyed at the clips, let me know, I don't know who has seen what.

I don't think of Harden as a 0 technique player. I am fine with Kill not offering, they know more about the limitations of a 5'9" DT than I would. But Harden's game is getting up field and being quick off the ball. I think he can do more than simply clog up the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2goDyOSQ1Gs&feature=related

PS: If people are annoyed at the clips, let me know, I don't know who has seen what.

Bob- Have you watched him go against any bigger time offensive linemen? He went to summer camp at the U right? i wonder if he struggled against some of the bigger and talented guys. Maybe a theory, his leverage is great in those tapes, but some of the center/guard combos he played against were legit 5'8-5'10 themselves.

Bob- Have you watched him go against any bigger time offensive linemen? He went to summer camp at the U right? i wonder if he struggled against some of the bigger and talented guys. Maybe a theory, his leverage is great in those tapes, but some of the center/guard combos he played against were legit 5'8-5'10 themselves.

I've never seen him at camps or anything, but i've seen in big games against a lot scholarship level OL. He just seems to dominate the line of scrimmage in every game i've seen him play. A lot of people only saw him his SO year when he dominated EP's line in the Prep Bowl, and I really think he plays like that every single game.

Now, if I had to guess what the issue is that they think when these 6'6" 270 lbs kids (like a Ben Lauer, Chandler Wright, Bjorklund) fill out and add strength, they will be able to minimize him because of his arm length. I don't think he gets manhandled at all right now, I think it's that with his frame he doesn't project to show a ton of improvement.

As short as Harden is I was projecting him into college. I can see him firing low and fighting the center to a stand still or sliding off into the gaps. I just don't see him being able to get around the wingspan of a guard. If he came along a couple of years ago I could see him in Cogrove's scheme not in Claeys.

Just Toledo, but the consensus is that is because he has to get his grades up a bit, that'd change. His HS coach said something along those lines as well.

I don't know, I could just be way off too. But if you ever want to see some impressive tape watch Webb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzRMkHX8EZc
I'd probably have him at 8. Harden at 9. Rallis at 10. Leidner out.

I think Harden might be worth another look. Hadn't seen him in person until towards the end of the year. I know he is undersized but guy can play. He might have the speed to be a rush end.

Top Bottom