rivals 250

Assuming you're referring to this: http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...k-2868/2012;_ylt=AtsE.bf4hm4ibYUSqEpybt5GPZB4

Looking at the midwest guys that haven't verballed, we've got offers listed to the following:

#29 Tommy Schutt
#70 Ryan Ward
#78 William Mahone
#100 Faith Ekakitie
#140 Jaleel Johnson
#152 Kyle Dodson
#194 Amara Darboh

In addition, we've got offers out to these non-midwest guys (although some are Pennsylvania and Missouri):

#13 Noah Spence
#32 Durron Neal
#55 Keith Marshall
#80 Brian Kimbrow
#118 Ty Darlington
#184 Greg Garmon
#221 I'tavius Mathers
#242 JJ Denman
#246 Ondre Pipkins

A lot of linemen (offensive and defensive) and a lot of running backs.

Star rankings are based solely on quantity and quality of offers. Surely a prospect with offers from most of the Big Ten and the defending national champions is worthy of at least a four-star. Rivals must not have received the memo.

Other 4-Star Minnesota Rivals Offers

Minnesota has 16 offers out to Rivals 250 players who have not committed yet, plus Andre McDonald who is a Minnesota verbal. The problem is who knows how good these guys are because stars mean nothing!

If you agree with this, I have a bet that I would like to make with you. The bet would be that the percentage of the 2012 Rivals 250 players drafted in the first round will exceed the percentage of 2012 Rivals 3-star players drafted in the first round. Since I am a generous guy I am giving two to one odds.

If you don't think this is a fair bet but you still don't believe there is a correlation in the star ratings as to where a player is drafted by the NFL, please don’t waste anymore of our time on why the star system doesn't mean anything.

Pirsig could still be a 4 star, just not top 250, which is surprising still, but either way, I'm pretty Kill isn't in his office going "AHHH crap, forget him then" LOL.

Having a 4-star kid in there already is a nice start for Kill when it comes to perception about his recruiting acumen.

Any good articles out there on what D1 coaches think of the "star" rating system? Also, why does the Rivals brand carry so much weight?

Any good articles out there on what D1 coaches think of the "star" rating system? Also, why does the Rivals brand carry so much weight?

Any coach will tell you they love their recruits regardless of their ranking. If they rank high, they consider it validation. If they aren't as high, they probably brush it off, just like we do as fans.

They probably have the most resources I'm guessing and put their site together the best lol. Theirs is no more valid than anyone else's IMO, but they are the one cited the most that I see when it comes to people evaluating recruiting.

Pretty sweet we already have more 4 star recruits than last year.

That means we will have the top minnesota recruit 2 years in a row. Just got to keep adding to it. :clap:

Minnesota has 16 offers out to Rivals 250 players who have not committed yet, plus Andre McDonald who is a Minnesota verbal. The problem is who knows how good these guys are because stars mean nothing!

If you agree with this, I have a bet that I would like to make with you. The bet would be that the percentage of the 2012 Rivals 250 players drafted in the first round will exceed the percentage of 2012 Rivals 3-star players drafted in the first round. Since I am a generous guy I am giving two to one odds.

If you don't think this is a fair bet but you still don't believe there is a correlation in the star ratings as to where a player is drafted by the NFL, please don’t waste anymore of our time on why the star system doesn't mean anything.

No takers on your offer?

Although maybe it should be based on # of NFL starts not on who is selected in the first round.

No takers on your offer?

Although maybe it should be based on # of NFL starts not on who is selected in the first round.

Not necessarily ... getting drafted in the first round means you had a successful college career. That is what is being argued, if stars mean college success and the NFL draft is a measure of college success.

If the argument was "do recruiting stars equate to NFL success", then yes, starts would be the stat to look at.

It is just statistics

No takers on your offer?

It is not surprising there are no takers because the odds are STRONGLY in my favor. They would also be STRONGLY in my favor me for your proposal but it would take longer to determine the results. When I read some of the comments here on the star system I am always amazed how little people understand statistics. Maybe they understand it a little more than they let on since there were no takers.

Top Bottom