Rival Team Rankings

ncgo4

Reaction score
Does any one know how rivals compares teams? Minn has 3 four stars and 20 three star recruits. Ariz has 3 & 15. They have 966 points and we have 792. What do I not understand? Let me rephrase, What do I not understand about the Rival team rankings?

Does any one know how rivals compares teams? Minn has 3 four stars and 20 three star recruits. Ariz has 3 & 15. They have 966 points and we have 792. What do I not understand? Let me rephrase, What do I not understand about the Rival team rankings?

The missing factor is the position ranking and the rr value. So for instance a four star reciever whose considered the 30th top WR will get more points that a 40th ranked four star WR.

Seantrel is the grand prize.

Thus when huff left we got docked a bunch, and when green arrived we got very little since he has not been given a position ranking since he was a Tennessee Gray shirt until a week ago.

rivals has a blurb on how they do it, they won't give out the formula but it tells the factors involved. look on the team rankings site and theres a button that will get you there.

hopes this helps.

It's like saying our 3* players are more like a 'B-' than a 'B', per se.

I have actually seen the formula and it is quite amazing. I think I have it on my work computer so if I think of it I'll post it tomorrow. Whatever it is, I figured out that Seantrel Henderson would be worth in excess of 300 points alone.

I have actually seen the formula and it is quite amazing. I think I have it on my work computer so if I think of it I'll post it tomorrow. Whatever it is, I figured out that Seantrel Henderson would be worth in excess of 300 points alone.

I figured SH points would be around there. Isn't the formula trade secret though, not that any math student couldn't extrapolate it, how'd you get it?

I figured SH points would be around there. Isn't the formula trade secret though, not that any math student couldn't extrapolate it, how'd you get it?

Schnoodler- write fast. Since I don't know the answer to your Q, I will play it safe till I can figure it out.

Got it saved safe and warm, thank you sir.

One noteworthy thing- you will see that being above an average of 3.00 stars increases your team total. Thus, when Doral Willis decommitted, we actually went UP in the rankings.

yeah I caught that. It really is an amazing formula. Captures strength and depth quite nicely. I will be studying this to see how I might use it in my own team strength formula. One thing this formula does is to seperate teams, put spaces between them. In my team strength stuff I don't want that, so I will be seeing what I can add, alter and use. this will be quite useful. Thank you very much. a great xmas gift.

I had it saved on my old computer.. too bad it crapped out.

Well apparently it's not much of a secret.

I wonder though if the real formula is ((n + 1)/(n +50)) * h or utilizes a default of 1/50 * h if n=0

One noteworthy thing- you will see that being above an average of 3.00 stars increases your team total. Thus, when Doral Willis decommitted, we actually went UP in the rankings.

This is correct. I think it's also important to note that the H and L variables are determined by using only the top 20 recruits for each team. Therefore, while dropping recruits like Willis off the bottom of our list will raise our ranking, it doesn't change the maximum (or minimum) amount of points we can get. This can only be affected by movement (inward or outward) inside our top 20.

Here is the real Rivals formula, it comes from a highly placed source at Rivals:

W > L = GR or L > W = BR + CF

That is all you need to know. Rivals has it down.

Here is the real Rivals formula, it comes from a highly placed source at Rivals:

W > L = GR or L > W = BR + CF

That is all you need to know. Rivals has it down.

Still not funny or clever. Not even once.

Here's my formula:

GVBadger = Arrogant (and there are so many other not so nice words I could use, but it's Christmas :)

Maybe GVBadger just saw the video on

Beau Allen getting his ass kicked by a 180# center.:clap:

Here's my formula:

GVBadger = Arrogant (and there are so many other not so nice words I could use, but it's Christmas :)

Why is it arrogant to believe that the results on the field are more important then recruiting rankings?

Rankings, stars, RR values, ESPN ratings are kind of silly to me. What isn't silly is video, or watching a prospect live. If indeed Beau Allen got himself worked by an "unrated" center, that would be concerning.
Watch video and analyze it for yourself, you can usually see what the coaches are seeing when they offer a kid. Gjere in his videos is amazingly nimble and quick for his size. Edwards has unmistakable speed and power. Whaley and Bryant Allen had the most impressive videos I've seen, they literally just cut through defenses like butter. Stoudemire looked great as an option QB, great open field moves in his HS tape, Mcknight had a few impressive highlights of going up and getting the ball. Both were 2 stars.
When you get down to it, whatever your team is "ranked" only matters 4-5 years later when it is ranked in the polls. It's fun to see how we stack up against other teams recruiting classes, but keep some perspective and try to use the resources of these recruiting sites to see for yourself how impressive a kid is on the field, then get excited. Just my opinion.

For amusement I ran the Gophers current class through the formula and got 719 pts. Rivals shows 790.

I found H=1695, L=172, N=28

If anyone else did this too and would care to tell me where I went wrong I'd appreciate it.

I didn't get 790 but 788. Your H and L are the same as mine but I got 34 for N. Edwards had 8, Gjere had 8, Parish had 8, Ferguson had 6 and 4 points for being .04 over 3 star average. That was way too much work though from now on I'll just trust rival's team ranking site.

Top Bottom