Ridiculous BT Overview from Katz

underground629

Reaction score
This probably isn't worthy of starting a thread, but I wasn't sure where to post and it's really bothering me. Has Andy Katz gone insane?

Taken from http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4641135&name=katz_andy

"Big Ten: Michigan State and Purdue start the season as potential No. 1 seeds. Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan should be nipping at their heels with Northwestern not that far behind. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Penn State are possible NCAA tournament teams as well. That brings the count to nine teams that enter the season thinking they can make the field. That's nine of 11 members."

This probably isn't worthy of starting a thread, but I wasn't sure where to post and it's really bothering me. Has Andy Katz gone insane?

Taken from http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4641135&name=katz_andy

"Big Ten: Michigan State and Purdue start the season as potential No. 1 seeds. Ohio State, Illinois and Michigan should be nipping at their heels with Northwestern not that far behind. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Penn State are possible NCAA tournament teams as well. That brings the count to nine teams that enter the season thinking they can make the field. That's nine of 11 members."

Yeah, it seems like he was in a hurry and just spit out some half-hearted article without any thought. Usually Katz knows his stuff though. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not that it matters, but Northwestern hasn't received 1 vote for the top 25 in either poll. I predict that NU will not make the show this year.

He's usually pretty good, but NW? Isn't it pretty generally accepted that they won't be very good at all? And to basically put them ahead of us and say they'll be right behind Ohio State, Michigan, and Illinois, and we'll be fighting for a spot in the tourney? I don't understand.

Northwestern needs to replace Moore, but they have Coble and some other pieces back. Don't see enough improvement to get off the bubble, though, unless something really changes.

Northwestern may have more talent in its program than ever, but so does everyone else. It'll be tough for the 'Cats to make it into the NCAAs. It's just not meant to be. Too many Division II-type players trying to compete in the Big 10. Sure, they have some decent players, but this program has never landed a 4-star recruit and has a hard time luring in 3-star guys it seems like.

Consistency

This isn't actually all that ridiculous coming from Katz. This is basically the same thing that he spouted in his feature article about NW which came out Nov. 1, before the news of the suspensions. Not a lot of love for the gophers from Katz.

Katz has never been a huge Gopher supporter. He is a Wisconsin grad.

The Big Ten is going to be very competitive this year. The margin between third and ninth could be very, very small. It is not a slight, just an opinion.

There is not one "expert" picking the Badgers in the top 4. Ryan has never finished out of the top 4 and the Badgers return a very experienced team and have been to the tournament 11 years in a row.

The bottom line, who cares what these idiots think. The games are won and lost on the court.

The Big Ten is going to be very competitive this year. The margin between third and ninth could be very, very small. It is not a slight, just an opinion.

There is not one "expert" picking the Badgers in the top 4. Ryan has never finished out of the top 4 and the Badgers return a very experienced team and have been to the tournament 11 years in a row.

The bottom line, who cares what these idiots think. The games are won and lost on the court.

I agree with GVBadger. I don't care about what a talking head says in the preseason, and the only thing I care about the preseason rankings is that it raises expectations and gives some national attention. I say..."Let the games begin", and then we'll see how it all pans out.

Go Gophers!

Very true GV. Last year two games separated 2nd place from 8th place. Likely the same this year. Any team that gives away a game or two this year could certainly regret it. It literally could be the difference from being in the NCAAs or not even making the NIT.

The reason I started this thread was not because I necessarily care about what Katz had to say, I was just simply blown away by what he said and I almost thought it had to be a typo to put NW that high. Yeah, preseason rankings don't mean a whole lot and they inevitably end up looking somewhat crazy at the end, but comments like NW being right behind Ohio St. and the Gophers fighting for an NCAA bid seem a little outrageous.

Also, sometimes topics are brought up not necessarily because someone cares but because they have a strong reaction and are curious to hear what other people think.

No problem with the thread

Also, sometimes topics are brought up not necessarily because someone cares but because they have a strong reaction and are curious to hear what other people think.
I wouldn't read any of the comments as implied criticism of your posting it ... almost every article about the B10 and its teams is fair game, IMO.

Now if you were going to post about U of Ky .... ;)

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound defensive. Although I don't really like it when people basically say who cares? wait until the games are played. If we did that, this board would get pretty boring.

I wouldn't read any of the comments as implied criticism of your posting it ... almost every article about the B10 and its teams is fair game, IMO.

Now if you were going to post about U of Ky .... ;)

Top Bottom