Riddle me this

pregameatblarneys

Reaction score
Why was Gray's TD run in the 4th reviewed (and subsequently overturned- rightfully), but then Lamonte's 4th down run that looked like a TD wasn't reviewed (even though on TV, according to my buddy who was watching, he was definitely in)?

I was at a wedding, so I didn't see the plays in question, but wouldn't that be on the coaches to call a timeout and/or challenge the play?

Why was Gray's TD run in the 4th reviewed (and subsequently overturned- rightfully), but then Lamonte's 4th down run that looked like a TD wasn't reviewed (even though on TV, according to my buddy who was watching, he was definitely in)?

I was wondering the same thing myself. It looked close enough to at least review the play. I thought he was in for sure.

I can't remember for sure but I thought they did call a timeout. However when they came back from the break the announcers never mentioned if it was reviewed. Thought the entire game was poor officiating anyway.

He looked in to me.

I can't remember for sure but I thought they did call a timeout. However when they came back from the break the announcers never mentioned if it was reviewed. Thought the entire game was poor officiating anyway.

This! Don't forget the Royston pass interference call on the INT or McKnight being grabbed on the sideline or the refs running the clock even though the NMSU runner ran OOB with 2 minutes left. Having that extra timeout might have come in very handy on that last drive, no?

Definitely poor officiating today, way too many blown calls that would have changed the outcome of the game.

This! Don't forget the Royston pass interference call on the INT or McKnight being grabbed on the sideline or the refs running the clock even though the NMSU runner ran OOB with 2 minutes left. Having that extra timeout might have come in very handy on that last drive, no?

The first and last calls were definitely the right calls. Not sure what you're referring to on the middle one, so you might be right there

It's easy to blame officiating... and I have no doubt it was bad and even against us, the USC game was(I didn't get to see the game today, stupid employer) but this was NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY AGGIES! They could have flagged us on ever play and we should have won by 28pts......

Don't forget the Royston pass interference call on the INT

Absolute game-changing call. Terrible call.

The refs running the clock even though the NMSU runner ran OOB with 2 minutes left.

That's the rule. When players go out-of-bounds the clock only remains stopped until the ball is spotted and ready to play. Once there is only two minutes left, then the clock remains stopped until the snap. Had that play ended with 1:59, the clock would have remained stopped. Since it was like 2:05, then the clock was going to start once the ball was spotted and ready to play.

It's easy to blame officiating... and I have no doubt it was bad and even against us, the USC game was(I didn't get to see the game today, stupid employer) but this was NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY AGGIES! They could have flagged us on ever play and we should have won by 28pts......

You are right in that we should have won by 28 points.. But you missed a key bit of information. We should have won by 28 points about 8 years ago.

But lets be real here.. We aren't that good of a team, Big Ten Conference member or not. This is the largely same team that lost to the University of SOUTH DAKOTA last year. While I admit I let last week's game against USC raise my expectations, I was reminded once again by the football Gods that this is still Minnesota football. The football Gods HATE Minnesota football.

I'm so far away from hitting the panic button, but with posts like yours (which isn't a bad one) makes it seem like we as a fanbase ARE mashing the panic button. No no, our expectations need to be lower than they are.

I wondered the same exact thing. It wasn't a well balanced officiating game. I was VERY surprised they did not review the Edwards run. I thought he was in no doubt, however I was also in the second deck on the other side of the field. The officials placed the ball as close to the goal line as physically possible.

I just watched the game on my DVR. I thought Edwards was in. But the camera angles didn't provide "clear evidence" that the ball would have crossed the line for a touchdown. As for why they didn't review it farther, that is a good question.

Makes 0 sense to me. At that point in the game, on 4th and goal, and no review. I hope that crew gets chewed out for that.

I agree it warranted a review, but from my angle (right down the goal line in section 135) it actually didn't look that close. Im actually surprised that folks who watched the replay say it was as close as it was.

It looked VERY close on TV. The decision to review is made by an official in the booth who alerts the on-field official that it is happening. I'm surprised they didn't take another look at it.

They look at EVERY close play in the booth and if at first glance it appears VERY close they will stop the game. They felt the play wasn't close enough to warrant a review.

They look at EVERY close play in the booth and if at first glance it appears VERY close they will stop the game. They felt the play wasn't close enough to warrant a review.
If that's the case that's horse*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, the stakes of that play were huge, late 4th quarter, 4th down, goal line, possible tie game, all of those factors should have warranted more than a 'first glance' decision.

The official in the press box reviews EVERY play. When he feels it's something that is questionable, he signals the referee to stop play for video review. My assumption is that when reviewing the play, he had no angle/evidence to encourage video review -- since it was essentially a hog pile. I otherwise agree with the fact he looked like he was in and it could have been reviewed.

Top Bottom