Ricky Stanzi is one smart cookie....

gopherguy05

Section 246 Row 4
Reaction score
I know most athletes take it easy....but this might be pushing it to the limit:

From an artice in the Quad City Times:

Stanzi is finishing up a few final credits on a degree in interdepartmental studies, which he defined as meaning "you're not smart enough to get into business school."

He is taking only three classes this semester, and one of them lasted only half the term. He has an art class, a course called Alcohol in Your College Experience and another called Making a Vocational Educational Choice.

"Nothing too strenuous," Stanzi said. "I have a lot of time, which is great. I don't have to put much into school and that has given me a lot of opportunity to watch more film, be here and have a better idea of what's going on with each defense that we play."

http://qctimes.com/sports/college/big-10/iowa/article_aa3814d0-dcbb-11df-b08c-001cc4c03286.html

Wow.. LOL Alcohol in Your College Experience. Sounds Iowan..

All I can say after reading that is "Bring back General College!"

I don't see what the big deal is. This happens everywhere. Stanzi is a 5th year Senior. In order to be eligible you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits, however, if you need less than 12 credits to graduate, you only need to be enrolled in that number. Stanzi probably graduates in December and only needs a few electives to do so. This way he can concentrate on football almost full-time. Again, this goes on everywhere. It's fairly common....

I don't see what the big deal is. This happens everywhere. Stanzi is a 5th year Senior. In order to be eligible you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits, however, if you need less than 12 credits to graduate, you only need to be enrolled in that number. Stanzi probably graduates in December and only needs a few electives to do so. This way he can concentrate on football almost full-time. Again, this goes on everywhere. It's fairly common....

Actually, in order to be eligible, you need a certain number of combined credits from the past two semesters - 24, I believe. If you've already reached your graduation requirements, you would only need to be enrolled in one class.

I believe Matt Leinart only took a Ballroom Dancing class his last semester

These are the kinds of things that sometimes make me wonder if our whole "student athlete" system is not the way to go. Maybe kids should just be part of club teams, then we can do away with the make-believe academics?

Food for thought: here are the stats for average accepted students at UCLA:

The average admitted applicant to UCLA for Fall 2010 had a weighted GPA (a GPA that includes all extra grade points for honors or AP coursework) of 4.38, an unweighted GPA (no extra points) of 3.87, an SAT Reasoning Test score of 2028, SAT Subject scores (we use highest scores from any two of five subject areas) of 734 and 685, 21 semesters of honors/AP course work completed between 10th and 12th grades, and 51 semesters of college prep course work overall.

Where do all of the kids that get in for other reasons (i.e. football scholarship) fit into the academic profile of this school? What classes do they take?

I think it is a good thing because I'm sure a lot of kids step up their game when they reach college and receive a fine education. However, when I see these guys taking these kinds of classes it really trivializes the purpose of college. It turns it into a revenue game rather than an education game.

Just my brief thoughts.

I know most athletes take it easy....but this might be pushing it to the limit:

From an artice in the Quad City Times:

Stanzi is finishing up a few final credits on a degree in interdepartmental studies, which he defined as meaning "you're not smart enough to get into business school."

He is taking only three classes this semester, and one of them lasted only half the term. He has an art class, a course called Alcohol in Your College Experience and another called Making a Vocational Educational Choice.

"Nothing too strenuous," Stanzi said. "I have a lot of time, which is great. I don't have to put much into school and that has given me a lot of opportunity to watch more film, be here and have a better idea of what's going on with each defense that we play."

http://qctimes.com/sports/college/big-10/iowa/article_aa3814d0-dcbb-11df-b08c-001cc4c03286.html

Alcohol and Your College Experience is a 1 semester hour course. I am a political science major, mass communications and history double minor and am a Senior at The University of Iowa. I am taking this class just to add 1 more SH. Of course, this class is easy but this is not a full-scale 3 or 4 SH class. One attends this class twice a week for 50 minutes and the class is only half of the semester. Stanzi is a 5th year Senior, he is essentially done with everything.

Actually, in order to be eligible, you need a certain number of combined credits from the past two semesters - 24, I believe. If you've already reached your graduation requirements, you would only need to be enrolled in one class.

Incorrect. Unless it's your last semester or if you've already completed your undergrad work - you need to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits regardless of what you did the prior semester(s).

Top Bottom