Rickey Foggie resigns as coach of Minnesota's AFL team as league faces questions; blame put on former Gopher Lee Hutton

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This got ugly fast:

The 2024 season began last week as the Myth picked up a dominating win over the Philadephia Soul at the Target Center in Minneapolis. There have since been a handful of decisions that are putting the league's future in question.

The Iowa Rampage announced the team had no other option than to discontinue operations immediately. The team's owners questioned the league's financial practices, calling for Minneapolis attorney and AFL commissioner Lee Hutton to resign.

“Lee Hutton and his team have destroyed not only the revival of the AFL, but they have destroyed the hopes of players all over the U.S.,” the owners said in a May 2 statement announcing the liquidation of the team.

Foggie retweeted a user on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, who wrote: "I can't wait to see [Lee Hutton] get what's coming to him for orchestrating this mess that hurt so many players, coaches, and staff members who worked tirelessly for nothing."

Go Gophers!!

Honestly, will be an excellent Netflix special if people are willing to talk. I am endlessly entertained by terrible business ventures, delusional and/or questionable characters, broken promises. Counter-allegations, the truth may or may not follow behind.

Not everybody with the new league is rueing the collapse of the AFL’s partnership with NFL Network. Take Pat Johnson, president of the Oregon Blackbears. Johnson seemed sincere when he said he was glad the contract got scuttled. To him, the arrangement reduced AFL game broadcasts to infomercials. Costly ones.

“It was a terrible deal for the league. A bad deal,” said Johnson, a former track and football star at the University of Oregon who played seven seasons in the NFL for Baltimore and Washington. “We would pay the NFL $1.3 million a year for three years, and would get none of the advertising revenue” from the network broadcasts, Johnson said. “You don’t even own the finished product. You’re going to have a net operating loss over three years of $4 million. I think it’s in the best interest for it not to happen.”

Johnson was the only guy I could find still unconvinced the revamped league’s future is the pasture. Then again, Johnson only got his AFL job two weeks ago.

Anthony Rossi, who was listed on the AFL website as president and CEO of the league when the reboot was first announced in February 2023, has clearly fallen out with Hutton. Rossi, asked by Defector to comment on the state of the AFL, instead sent a screenshot of a tweet he posted Friday. In it, Rossi accused Hutton and other AFL officials with using trademarks associated with the league without permission.

“They signed a [licensing] agreement and than never paid for it; which means they never had the rights,” Rossi said in his post.

According to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office database, the rights to “Arena Football League” are currently owned by G6 Sports Group LLC, a corporation registered in Delaware. Rossi said he has a substantial ownership interest in G6, but declined to provide proof of that claim.

Rossi said Hutton has been "lying to fans, sponsors, partners and team owners" about having the right to use AFL trademarks, and that he continues to ignore demands from Rossi and his partner regarding that usage.

"Everyone associated with these lies will be held accountable in short order," he said at the end of his Twitter screed.

Last edited:

With PJ the odds of low character players @ Minnesota are extremely low. The same can not be said about the majority of fans, students, professors & administration. Make Minnesota Great Again

Give it a rest
I was finally to the point of calling for a ban for this clown's incessant Trump-spamming and thank GH for finally putting a stop to it and banning him.

No shiite. Lee seems like a good guy but was overmatched in the first 10 seconds.

Also, in the hierarchy of indoor football, this league, in regard to quality and viability, were and are dead last. There are plenty of other football jobs in the other leagues.

He tried to go cheap and rigged it. Maybe not such a good guy…

I was finally to the point of calling for a ban for this clown's incessant Trump-spamming and thank GH for finally putting a stop to it and banning him.
Dude was an inane bot from day 1. Comments that made zero sense, at times reeked of some ChatGPT nonsense.

Wish those kinds of bans could be made say the first day they show up.

Last edited:

Some of it (my impression) was pretty clever meta meta trolling by a someone maybe less than serious but dry humor often falls flat.

way back in the day, when I was living in Iowa, I remember watching the Iowa Barnstormers Indoor team on TV when they had some guy named Kurt Warner at QB. the games were pretty entertaining - lot of scoring.

way back in the day, when I was living in Iowa, I remember watching the Iowa Barnstormers Indoor team on TV when they had some guy named Kurt Warner at QB. the games were pretty entertaining - lot of scoring.
I do wish whatever this might have been ... got going.

Not sure if it would have been good, but would have liked to gone.

I do wish whatever this might have been ... got going.

Not sure if it would have been good, but would have liked to gone.
Under funded, under talented, under managed, and under brained.

These leagues hardly ever make it. Minor league football is just not sustainable

Who starts a business venture knowing upfront they are under funded? Especially people who allegedly have some level of intelligence?

Who starts a business venture knowing upfront they are under funded? Especially people who allegedly have some level of intelligence?
Lee Hutton wanted fame without fortune.

Top Bottom