Richard Pitino: “I’ve always said, if you play the games, they’re going to want you to win. And if you don’t win enough, you’re going to get fired."

didn't mean to be confusing - just wondering who would have been hired at MN if Pitino had not been an option. (assuming if he was not Rick P's kid, he would have not have been hired at MN). how far down the ladder would Mega Tongue have had to go before landing a coach. (and he had all those Villa 7 connections..........)

September 16th, 2021 Link to team rankings with Gopher connections.
Xavier at #15 without Ben
New Mexico at #29 with Richard
St Thomas at #64 with Lee
and the Gophers still not rated at all. What the heck? We would/should be Top 25 if they'd just rate us against who they have listed to date. No idea where we are when they get everybody analyzed but many of those ranked Top 70 right now will drop like a rock.

It’s a consuming job and it’s possible that RP will follow the same career path as Monson. Both had young kids while they were here and had other priorities than the job. Like RP, Monson was overmatched while he was here but has gone on to coach just well enough at a backwater job. Presumably, he’s kept his sanity and his family intact. Hard to argue with that. Maybe the same kind of future for RP.
In the meantime, like many people here, I wish RP the best. He’s probably one of a handful of people in all of sports who I would want to invite over for drinks and dinner.

Last edited:

In my opinion if Pitino were still here we would be excited about the upcoming season. Most of last years players would still be here and we probably would have pulled a couple of decent players from the portal. But that is water over the dam. As a big basketball fan I hope things work out well for RP and the Gophers.
I agree we would be better. But we would be a team hoping to be on the right side of the bubble in our “up” year.
So I guess we will take the L this year in hopes of a good 2023

It’s a consuming job and it’s possible that RP will follow the same career path as Monson. Both had young kids while they were here and had other priorities than the job. Like RP, Monson was overmatched while he was here but has gone on to coach just well enough at a backwater job. Presumably, he’s kept his sanity and his family intact. Hard to argue with that. Maybe the same kind of future for RP.
In the meantime, like many people here, I wish RP the best. He’s probably one of a handful of people in all of sports who I would want to invite over for drinks and dinner.
Both had dads who coached college ball and are introverts. Interesting comp on many levels

You don’t believe they are? Ask anyone who’s seen them outside of press interviews.
Well, I ran into Pitino several times while he was coach here, and spoke with him on several occasions, so I'll disagree with you, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

Well, I ran into Pitino several times while he was coach here, and spoke with him on several occasions, so I'll disagree with you, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
When I was still in school, I was a bartender at a fundraiser and Rick Pitino was there, he was extremely nice and tipped well, but I would not call him an introvert. I can't speak for Richard.

I've also met him and he was cordial then too. Being an introvert doesn't mean you can't handle social situations. It just means you don't like them and it's not your preference. Pitino also has said in numerous interviews himself that he is one. So you can choose to have your opinion with your evidence and I'll have mine with my evidence.

Honestly would've been Flip I think. Hoiberg had serious interest as well. Think Buzz and some others would've been interested too.
Flip wanted certain things that Teague wasn't willing to give him, I also don't think Flip liked Norwood and wanted those things knowing he'd decline and that the T-Wolves were about to open up where he'd have full control of basketball operations there. Hoiberg was just using Doogie to get more money in Ames and played him like a fiddle. The next call might have been Muss, he was an assistant at ASU at the time and probably would have jumped on it.

Flip wanted certain things that Teague wasn't willing to give him, I also don't think Flip liked Norwood and wanted those things knowing he'd decline and that the T-Wolves were about to open up where he'd have full control of basketball operations there. Hoiberg was just using Doogie to get more money in Ames and played him like a fiddle. The next call might have been Muss, he was an assistant at ASU at the time and probably would have jumped on it.
Yeah I had misread the question as to if Norwood wasn't here, not who Norwood was going to go after next. I have other intel on Hoiberg not Doogie as to that they would've considered it if not for Norwood as well. You could totally have been right about Muss? Who knows with that Teague though. He was a clown

For a group that couldn't wait for Pitino to get fired, you sure are obsessed with talking about him....

I so enjoy gopherhole especially regarding hoops...however I am tired of this thread.

Again, not hatred for the man. Plus he did not do anything to me. Just poor coaching, poor judge of character. Poor job for the program. Nothing to do with me.
Sorry to extend this thread, but I've heard built say this about the guy being a poor judge of character a few times. Beyond Lynch, who is an obvious one, who else fits the bill that built is talking about here? I've not been dialed in enough to the bball program over the full 8 years to know if there were a lot of others. One dildo in 8 years doesn't make you a bad judge of character.

Sorry to extend this thread, but I've heard built say this about the guy being a poor judge of character a few times. Beyond Lynch, who is an obvious one, who else fits the bill that built is talking about here? I've not been dialed in enough to the bball program over the full 8 years to know if there were a lot of others. One dildo in 8 years doesn't make you a bad judge of character.
Daquein McNeil

Top Bottom