Richard Peters

Longshot at best... another BIG Canadian (originally from Trinidad).. had a stress fracture in his foot last year which is a little bit concerning... and academics (first time taking the ACT was to be Saturday) will determine if he's able to be a 2011 or if he will be a 2012. He wasn't with them this weekend with the workouts in Arizona, but I think the plan is for him to run with CIA Bounce this summer... at least until a classification is determined...

Lots of schools were on hand on Friday in Arizona.. his coach said all of these schools had coaches there: Washington State, Washington, Auburn, Georgia, Marquette, Coastal Carolina, Indiana, Arizona and Oakland.

His school Westwind (AZ)...has plenty of talent in addition to Peters... Demarquise Johnson is another kid (2012) the Gophers have looked at... and 2013 Chris Thomas is a stud (but allegedly his attitude isn't the best) from Denver that is also now at Westwind after having bounced around the country a bit.

Speaking of Chris Thomas, I'll likely check him out a bit in person this coming weekend at the Double Pump Spring Tourney in Denver... (although the Gophers aren't in on him)

Just to add.. consensus of what I've heard on Peters:

- Conditioning: needs work. Some due to the injury, but he's a big boy and it'll be an issue

- Raw talent is there, but it's probably a couple of years before he's an impact guy, if he turns out to be one

- Good rebounder, offensive and defensive boards... o-boards is where a lot of his points will come from.. interior guy. Lefthanded.

- Defensively can match up with guys and cause problems in the paint but I don't think he'll ever help much away from the basket.. that said, with the current roster makeup, if he turns out to be a 2011, not sure another center-type makes sense.

- Emotions can get the best of him. Has played with teammates who are the same way... can grow out of that / mature... but, would be something I'd consider.

Another thing to consider. . .
* that name. My inner Beavis & Butthead can't help but laugh when I see his name.

At least his name is better than that of former NASCAR driver D**k Trickle! Poor guy. ... what were his parents thinking?

How about Harry Peter Grant, our former Vikings Coach. I'd wanna be called "Bud" too.

Top Bottom