Richard Coffey, father of key Gophers recruit Amir, watches and worries

GopherLady

Reaction score

Oh good. On top of everything else, let's convince a program changing recruit to go elsewhere.

It's his right to be worried as a father of a future gopher. I don't blame him. Hopefully we can do better on and off the court next year.

Lose Coffey, and we might as well dumpster the program for the foreseeable future.

This article doesn't really say much at all. Someone from the strib did their job and asked Coffey what he was thinking. Coffey gave a parental answer, and the quote was plopped into a headline and text that lead the reader to assume Coffey may decommit.

Nothing to see here folks, at least in this article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never want to see recruits parents making comments like this.

Unbelievable??? You guys got we are losing Coffey out of that? Take a drink or something. What was Richard suppose to say. Seemed like a reasonable response. He is a signed commit by the way.

The kid is signed and would sit for a year if he left. I'd be concerned as parent as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What did Amir Coffey have to say in that article?

“I know Amir and I can’t wait to get up there and can’t get to work,” Hurt said. “Well, it’s tough as is with as few guards as we do have on the full roster right now, and then you put the suspensions in there, you don’t have a true point guard, because (walk-on Stephon Sharp) is used to playing a 2-guard. It’ll help that Amir can come in and be a primary ballhandler and I can help out when necessary.”

So you're implying that Hurt is lying about Coffey's excitement?

“I know Amir and I can’t wait to get up there and can’t get to work,” Hurt said. “Well, it’s tough as is with as few guards as we do have on the full roster right now, and then you put the suspensions in there, you don’t have a true point guard, because (walk-on Stephon Sharp) is used to playing a 2-guard. It’ll help that Amir can come in and be a primary ballhandler and I can help out when necessary.”

So you're implying that Hurt is lying about Coffey's excitement?

No writer, you implied that Coffey was one of the players being quoted in the article you linked. There were no quotes from him.

No writer, you implied that Coffey was one of the players being quoted in the article you linked. There were no quotes from him.

Okay, I will read more into his fellow recruits/friends as they convey Amir's excitement about coming to U, as opposed to his Dad (who always stated he wasn't going to influence or meddle in his son's decision) stating concerns about an unfortunate situation. Where were Amir's quotes in the Strib article? Ohhhh, that's right. The old Gopher Hole Special...everyone reading a headline and jumping immediately to the worst possible scenario.

Huh? You're the one who said he was not a recruit, but a commit. I simply clarified the fact that a commit is before an LOI. And I'm a dip****?

Let's try not to throw name calling into GopherHole. Leave that for the debate tonight.

If Coffey wanted out of his LOI, there is no way the university wouldn't let him out of it due to respect for Richard. The worst they would do is limit what schools he could go to. Here's hoping Richard and Amir stick with their commitment and help right the ship at Dad's alma mater.

It's his right to be worried as a father of a future gopher. I don't blame him. Hopefully we can do better on and off the court next year.

Exactly. I think he should at least be a bit concerned. I know I would be. Doesn't mean he doesn't want his son to go there anymore.

Actually we are right - he's still considered a recruit.

He was being recruited, committed to the gophers... and no longer being recruited, but you want to call him a recruit. Ok...

The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is a document used to indicate a student athlete's commitment to participating National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) colleges and universities in the United States.

Top Bottom