Rich Get Richer.

In 10 years there will be football n basketball powerhouses emerge from the schools perennially in 20 to 100 rank today. I think Oregon was nothing before Nike founder Phil Knight injected $100s of millions. With the number of billionaires today and those yet to be created at increasing pace, some new powers in basketball and football will emerge. Will be interesting to watch the money flow, college players become multi millionaires before they graduate (and possibly before they step on campus). The celebrity college player, with his homies, gold chains, limo, and ladies and the encouraging coach that is along for the ride. Time to build some penthouses on the top floors of those dorms. The money won’t ruin college sports but I think it will make it more colorful and entertaining

In 10 years there will be football n basketball powerhouses emerge from the schools perennially in 20 to 100 rank today. I think Oregon was nothing before Nike founder Phil Knight injected $100s of millions. With the number of billionaires today and those yet to be created at increasing pace, some new powers in basketball and football will emerge. Will be interesting to watch the money flow, college players become multi millionaires before they graduate (and possibly before they step on campus). The celebrity college player, with his homies, gold chains, limo, and ladies and the encouraging coach that is along for the ride. Time to build some penthouses on the top floors of those dorms. The money won’t ruin college sports but I think it will make it more colorful and entertaining
Isn’t what you’re describing why people watch pro sports? For players who go to the highest bidder and play for themselves?

If only I hadn't sold my Dogecoin the Gophers could make the 2026 College Football Players, Inc. Quarterfinal Game at Tiktok Field, formerly known as the Rose Bowl

Between football practice, appearing at the local car dealership, tattoo parlor, restaurant, etc. for endorsements, how the heck are they going to have time for classes?

Oregon with Nike will become the new # 1. in a short time. I side with those that think this will ruin college sports. There is no way anyone or organization will be able to monitor or regulate any of this.

Donors payments to star athletes were under the table. Now they are in the open.
I do not see how it will significantly effect recruiting at the level that happens in most of the BIG West.
NE donors are particularly rabid and they may put up enough $$ to induce a few more players to Lincoln that would not have considered spending a few years in that backwater.

This is going to be a train wreck.

The selected few players will make nice (perhaps very nice) money off their social media sites, others will make a few or tens of thousands off local or even national endorsements and a very few will probably do very well. Most players probably won’t get much at all.

Salesmanship will move from best school/education/coaching prep for NFL to rather what endorsement possibilities are available/booster base. I agree the weak rules regarding boosters feeding money to players will not be enforced or enforceable, and money easily laundered via back channels or cloaked in gray area euphemisms. Smart boosters will pay athletes directly and indirectly rather than donating to schools - if they ever hope to compete. It’s going to be a hot mess. Good for some, bad for the overall product. Shady agents will be infiltrating and enticement will be the rule, massive increase in player transfers for better money, and so on. It is what it is. End of an era, for better or worse.

Last edited:

This is going to be a train wreck.

The selected few players will make nice (perhaps very nice) money off their social media sites, others will make a few or tens of thousands off local or even national endorsements and a very few will probably do very well. Most players probably won’t get much at all.

Salesmanship will move from best school/education/coaching prep for NFL to rather what endorsement possibilities are available/booster base. I agree the weak rules regarding boosters feeding money to players will not be enforced or enforceable, and money easily laundered via back channels or cloaked in gray area euphemisms. Smart boosters will pay athletes directly and indirectly rather than donating to schools - if they ever hope to compete. It’s going to be a hot mess. Good for some, bad for the overall product. Shady agents will be infiltrating and enticement will be the rule, massive increase in player transfers for better money, and so on. It is what it is. End of an era, for better or worse.
Agree that this is going to be messy. On the plus side it gives the schools that weren't paying players under the table already a way to do it legally. So maybe it will negate some of the advantages the bag man schools currently have :)

Unfortunately I think it will only amplify the haves and have nots. I’m not ignorant of the fact there have been underhanded enticements in the past but the specter of occasional enforcement or of coercion and extortion of cheaters may have kept many players and programs on the straight and narrow. Now there are no controls and the flood gates will open to a free for all.

Similarly, if PEDS are legalized I wouldn’t expect their use to decrease.

Unfortunately I think it will only amplify the haves and have nots. I’m not ignorant of the fact there have been underhanded enticements in the past but the specter of occasional enforcement or of coercion and extortion of cheaters may have kept many players and programs on the straight and narrow. Now there are no controls and the flood gates will open to a free for all.

It is going to be very interesting to see how this all works out. For the superstars this has the chance to be huge. But for the vast majority of players it will be interesting to see just how much they end up getting. I think this will be a much bigger deal on the basketball side than the football side of things.

Ohio State Players Sign Endorsement Deals Following NCAA Name, Image and Likeness Changes

Ohio State players are now free to profit from their name, image and likeness, and they've begun to sign endorsement deals.

The rich aren’t getting richer.
They literally are the same team.

people act like this will ruin parity in college football.
I bet now Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio state, LSU, and Clemson dominate their conferences every year

The real solution to increase parity is to limit roster size in practice and limit who can dress.
It used to be 85 scholarships. Now the 85 is fake because someone can pay player 86 to walk on.

they should limit teams to 70 guys practicing and dressing for games.

The real solution to increase parity is to limit roster size in practice and limit who can dress.
It used to be 85 scholarships. Now the 85 is fake because someone can pay player 86 to walk on.

they should limit teams to 70 guys practicing and dressing for games.
that is a fascinating bit of insight I hadn't thought of. I have to imagine it won't work quite that fluidly in practice (cost to attend Bama is about 51k per their online materials) given you'd have to have quite a bit of funding AND that player to believe they couldn't get a full ride plus make the diffference in NIL revenue. Depends on how much money is dumped in.

Thinking of a related note, it will be interesting to see how this effects schools in funding scholarships. Would imagine many will stop boosting to general scholarship funds and instead try give it directly to players. how will Universities plan on making up the difference, especially as it pertains to sports unlikely to earn any NIL money (swimming, track, golf, etc) and maintian title IX?

I bet now Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio state, LSU, and Clemson dominate their conferences every year

Yes, Ohio State has been champions or co-champions 11 times in the last 20 years including a run of 4 out of the last 4 seasons (and 5 of last 7) but their recent dominance was more because of the Urban Meyer recruiting and coaching effect than anything else.

Virtually completely eliminating the possibility of a Northwestern, Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois and probably Iowa and Wisconsin winning recruiting battles, the championship changes the nature of college athletics for the worse. Most of those teams have had the chance to be champions or co-champions in recent history. My opinion only, of course.

Of course, there may be initiatives to restore some semblance of parity down the road, some of which we haven’t discussed.

that is a fascinating bit of insight I hadn't thought of. I have to imagine it won't work quite that fluidly in practice (cost to attend Bama is about 51k per their online materials) given you'd have to have quite a bit of funding AND that player to believe they couldn't get a full ride plus make the diffference in NIL revenue. Depends on how much money is dumped in.

Thinking of a related note, it will be interesting to see how this effects schools in funding scholarships. Would imagine many will stop boosting to general scholarship funds and instead try give it directly to players. how will Universities plan on making up the difference, especially as it pertains to sports unlikely to earn any NIL money (swimming, track, golf, etc) and maintian title IX?
The long term ramifications will be felt by non revenue sports for sure

Very cool. Always good when you see players that can see the big picture and are not just focused on themselves.

Would have been interesting to see what Peter Mortell could have done in this NIL era we are entering.

Bad idea all around - a continuation of the principle that local (non-government) governing bodies must always give in the unhappy individual or the squawking minority. Another kind of permissiveness that will result in money hurting the sport.

My only concern on something like this taxes. The player who gets endorsement would need to pay taxes on the profit I assume.
Which is hopefully why they'll be using professional services.

Just immediately set 25-30% of it aside (or whatever the correct amount is), and act as if you only ever received that 70-75% in the first place. Act as if that other part was never there.

Who will pay endorsements to temporary stars? Who will pay a college athlete to promote their business? Even most of the "stars" never see the NFL. Its all going to be abuse and dishonesty with no accountability but in in the end, for teams like us, it will not matter. Let the top 6 perennial teams battle it out with greed.

Who will pay endorsements to temporary stars? Who will pay a college athlete to promote their business? Even most of the "stars" never see the NFL. Its all going to be abuse and dishonesty with no accountability but in in the end, for teams like us, it will not matter. Let the top 6 perennial teams battle it out with greed.
I'm only guessing here, but I would guess there are two types of businesses (or, more specifically, business owners) that will pay an athlete. The first is a small local business that is looking for a little bump but doesn't have much money. A local restaurant, mom-and-pop athletic store, etc., (and maybe some businesses around Dinkytown) who will pay Tanner or Mo for an appearance or picture in a local ad. The second is a booster who doesn't care about ROI, but is really only trying to help the team by doing legally what has been illegal in the past.

People talk about all the Fortune 500 companies in Minnesota, but why would 3M or Medtronic pay a Gopher athlete? Even retail companies like Target and Best Buy do their marketing on a national level and don't advertise locally at all. Maybe Dairy Queen and Cub, who are already U of M donors, can be convinced to pony up a little. But what we really need are some balding car dealership owners wearing short, fat ties who are big Gopher fans to shell out some dough or cars in exchange for a guy showing up to sign autographs for an hour here and there.

Last edited:

Pretty narrow lens you're looking through. I see you are conveniently leaving out examples of like us versus Nebraska, where we are finally a better program than them and can beat them on the field and we have a better coach. All that can go straight in the crapper if rabid nebby fans start "funding" recruits.

People talk about all the Fortune 500 companies in Minnesota, but why would 3M or Medtronic pay a Gopher athlete? Even retail companies like Target and Best Buy do their marketing on a national level and don't advertise locally at all. Maybe Dairy Queen and Cub, who are already U of M donors, can be convinced to pony up a little. But what we really need some balding car dealership owners wearing short, fat ties who are big Gopher fans to shell out some dough or cars in exchange for a guy showing up to sign autographs for an hour here and there.
Who's up for starting a GoFundMe for Gopher football recruits and a shell company in the bahamas to pay them from? We can all contribute a little money to this instead of seat donations or whatever they were. Heck, if you wanna support the team, don't buy season tix - just contribute to the GoFundMe.

Top Bottom