Rhoda to transfer

Plinnius

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't blame him, I think they're sold on Seth Green next year.
As the season wore on the coaches talked about a mobile qb and
talk far more about Seth than Demry, nearly nothing about Conor.

Actually heard them talk up Mark Williams too, being in the mix. As Claeys calls him
a 'water bug', as he's impossible to tackle and throws a good ball.

Can't blame him, I think they're sold on Seth Green next year.
As the season wore on the coaches talked about a mobile qb and
talk far more about Seth than Demry, nearly nothing about Conor.

And it was recently rumored that his scholarship wasn't going to be renewed.

I feel for CR15. Part of me wonders, however, if this was always the plan. He clearly was never viewed as our #2 QB and was solely in that role to save 2 red shirts. If that was told to him upfront and all knew he would move on after this year then I would feel a bit better for him. If it was a surprise to him then that is pretty ruthless, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there's a MIAC school out there ready to give him a chance.

1. I thought Rhoda was a senior. Does he have another year of eligibilty?

2. I wish him well and really, really hope he fares better than Phillip Nelson.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I feel for CR15. Part of me wonders, however, if this was always the plan. He clearly was never viewed as our #2 QB and was solely in that role to save 2 red shirts. If that was told to him upfront and all knew he would move on after this year then I would feel a bit better for him. If it was a surprise to him then that is pretty ruthless, IMO.

I would think he would be able to figure that out on his own that he was never really our #2 QB. He shouldn't need to coaches to tell him that.

I would think he would be able to figure that out on his own that he was never really our #2 QB. He shouldn't need to coaches to tell him that.

Yeah, I was thinking mainly about the scholly thing.

For what it's worth, this is similar to Matilus situation last year (maybe it was a couple of years ago).

Rhoda will graduate. He wants to play a bunch and we are a little short on scholarships. He could certainly wait it out and if a scholarship opened up, he would be one of the first in line (if a player lost eligibility, quit, etc. after we felt comfortable signing anyone).

Conor wants a legitimate chance to get a lot of playing time. Everyone is leaving on good terms.

For what it's worth, this is similar to Matilus situation last year (maybe it was a couple of years ago).

Rhoda will graduate. He wants to play a bunch and we are a little short on scholarships. He could certainly wait it out and if a scholarship opened up, he would be one of the first in line (if a player lost eligibility, quit, etc. after we felt comfortable signing anyone).

Conor wants a legitimate chance to get a lot of playing time. Everyone is leaving on good terms.

See, this sounds more realistic to me than the story going around the past few days. I'm not calling that person a liar, but perhaps the story presented to him was a bit skewed. Rhoda still might have to take snaps this season. I don't think your coach would ruthlessly pull your scholarship and spit in your face when they still might need you. But hey, I don't know for sure what's true. I'll choose to believe this version...

Regardless of why he is transferring, if he does it is pretty good proof he isn't the second best quarterback

Regardless of why he is transferring, if he does it is pretty good proof he isn't the second best quarterback

Maybe not going forward, but it certainly doesn't answer the question of who was the second best QB on the roster THIS season.

Maybe not going forward, but it certainly doesn't answer the question of who was the second best QB on the roster THIS season.

It doesn't answer who was, just who wasn't.

It doesn't answer who was, just who wasn't.

Exactly.

If he was the second best quarterback on roster, neither party would want him to leave.

Exactly.

If he was the second best quarterback on roster, neither party would want him to leave.

How do you figure?

This year is COMPLETELY different from next year for Conor Rhoda. He will graduate in May and he wants to have a really good chance of playing a significant amount at QB next season. Even this year, he played in 1 game. Conor wants to be the starting QB (understandably, he got the Big 10 experience, now he wants to play a bunch).

It is a strong possibility that the U is going to bring in Jordan Taamu (JuCo QB). It is almost an almost certainty that Green has a much better understanding of the playbook and he's more ready for the college game. Seth Green in August 2016 is likely MUCH better than Seth Green in August 2017, because he was a true FR. The same probably can't be said about Conor Rhoda.

I think Conor was more ready to be a QB this season. I think Seth will be a better QB than him next year. And I think Jordan Taamu will likely be in the mix as well.

How do you figure?

This year is COMPLETELY different from next year for Conor Rhoda. He will graduate in May and he wants to have a really good chance of playing a significant amount at QB next season. Even this year, he played in 1 game. Conor wants to be the starting QB (understandably, he got the Big 10 experience, now he wants to play a bunch).

It is a strong possibility that the U is going to bring in Jordan Taamu (JuCo QB). It is almost an almost certainty that Green has a much better understanding of the playbook and he's more ready for the college game. Seth Green in August 2016 is likely MUCH better than Seth Green in August 2017, because he was a true FR. The same probably can't be said about Conor Rhoda.

I think Conor was more ready to be a QB this season. I think Seth will be a better QB than him next year. And I think Jordan Taamu will likely be in the mix as well.

If that's the case we'd best find a new QB coach. It's going to be an intriguing offseason, particularly if they're able to bring in Ta'amu

Didn't he come on the field as a senior during senior day today?

Didn't he come on the field as a senior during senior day today?

http://www.startribune.com/conor-rhoda-honored-on-senior-day-signaling-end-of-his-time-with-gophers/401955335/
Gophers backup quarterback Conor Rhoda is a redshirt junior this season, but he was honored before Saturday’s game as part of Senior Day, signaling the end of his time with the program.

Rhoda walked on with the Gophers out of Cretin-Derham Hall and was placed on scholarship this year. But according to people familiar with Rhoda’s situation, the coaches notified him that they couldn’t guarantee him a scholarship for next season.

Rhoda is on track to graduate this fall with a degree in business and marketing education. He plans to explore options to join another program as a graduate transfer, as he still has one year of eligibility remaining.

Rhoda has a strong arm, but he’s a pocket passer, and coach Tracy Claeys has made it clear he wants more mobility from his starting quarterbacks. With Mitch Leidner nearing the end of his Gophers career, dual-threat quarterbacks Seth Green and Demry Croft are expected to compete for the starting job next spring.

I don't agree with a fair share of Tracy's decisions but to me this is the most short sighted one to date from so many angles. We were in a decent position with Rhoda, Green and Croft. Now it's down to Green and Croft. Tracy better have this JC QB in his hip pocket. You gotta have 3 QB's on the roster. Williams is a water bug, I agree. But, he can't pass and he's a short 6 feet. You can't have just two viable candidates.
Not going to get into the whole message you are sending to your team by "cutting" your number two QB.
I've said it before...you can wish Croft and Green are better QB's because they have more athletic ability...more potential...but that's not what I saw based on performance in practice.
Could the argument be made Rhoda was more effective in his one opportunity leading the team than Mitch has been throughout this year?
It's not like we are turning down recruits at any position, especially QB recruits.
Not to mention the decision was made prior to the Nebraska game when you are competing for a division title. Say Mitch can't play and Rhoda leads the team to victory? Now what? Um we changed our mind, please stay? We taking the red shirt off somebody in the bowl game if Mitch goes down?
What if Green or Croft decides to transfer? What if one of them is sending signals they need assurances? What if, What if 50 million reasons this dumb...

Rhoda was safety net for this year. Jaques would have started the Maryland game if he were here over Rhoda. Green and Croft have a higher ceiling. Rhoda's a good kid but not your answer for a QB

I believe Rhoda transferring is a positive sign. It means the coaching staff has more confidence in other players to improve our team at the QB position.

With the poor history this regime has with QB development, this seems pretty dumb. Why not let them compete for it next year and keep him as a safety net. He must throw too well.&#55358;&#56599;

This may be a sign that Claeys is willing to make bold decisions to put a better team on the field.

He did not hesitate to fire Limey who's with him all throughout the Kill era. I think he is being honest and up front with Rhoda who has a chance to start looking early. It can be in the end a mutually beneficial thing for Rhoda and Claeys.

I think Claeys want to open up more schollies to add more recruits in this class. We need lots of good team depth to mount any attempts at a B1G title. I hope he continues to recruit speed especially in defense. Also, we can never have enough O linemen.

With all due respect, I think people WANT Green or Croft to be better - but that does not mean that they WILL be better. For all of the criticism of Leidner (some of it deserved - some not deserved), the Gophers will go into next year with a very uncertain situation at QB.

Who knows - maybe Green or Croft will be ready to step right in at QB and deliver a higher level of play. Maybe they bring in a JUCO to start. Maybe I win the lottery and start dating super-models.

The point is - most of the QB speculation is just that - speculation. Based on a few people who have seen a few plays in practice or scrimmages. There is NO guarantee that the QB play is going to be better next year.

It is equally possible that, by the 3rd or 4th game next year, as we watch a young QB learn on the job, making mistakes, losing fumbles and throwing interceptions, that the fans will be just as critical of the new QB as they have been of Leidner. Heck, some people may even be saying they miss Leidner.

Bottom line - do you trust this coaching staff to handle the QB situation? If I had to answer that question today, I would say no.

Why do people think we should have kept CR15 as an option? What makes you think he is any better than me? He was never the 2nd best QB on this roster. You are fooling yourself if you think so. Last year they trotted a raw true freshman that was clearly not ready out there over him. This year he was there to save redshirts on 2 QBs that are more talented and from all accounts (other than a GH poster who saw a practice in August) better than Rhoda. He was going to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart next year and it was best for all (including CR15) to move on. Everyone is assuming he got jobbed, but it is possible he is fine with the situation.

With all due respect, I think people WANT Green or Croft to be better - but that does not mean that they WILL be better. For all of the criticism of Leidner (some of it deserved - some not deserved), the Gophers will go into next year with a very uncertain situation at QB.

Who knows - maybe Green or Croft will be ready to step right in at QB and deliver a higher level of play. Maybe they bring in a JUCO to start. Maybe I win the lottery and start dating super-models.

The point is - most of the QB speculation is just that - speculation. Based on a few people who have seen a few plays in practice or scrimmages. There is NO guarantee that the QB play is going to be better next year.

It is equally possible that, by the 3rd or 4th game next year, as we watch a young QB learn on the job, making mistakes, losing fumbles and throwing interceptions, that the fans will be just as critical of the new QB as they have been of Leidner. Heck, some people may even be saying they miss Leidner.

Bottom line - do you trust this coaching staff to handle the QB situation? If I had to answer that question today, I would say no.

You make a fantastic point. When I have been saying that Green is better, I should have been saying, the staff has been upfront with Rhoda that he will be passed on the depth chart next season. You're right though, I am sure a percentage of that is hope or "betting on their upside".

Do I trust the staff to handle the situation? No, I can't say that I do. It is shocking to me how opposed we were to the possibility of Streveler playing any real QB here. This is somewhat of a similar situation to Streveler (who was essentially told he was passed by Croft on the depth chart). Right now, that sure didn't seem like the right decision.

That said, it's obvious that when Streveler left it was a "no hard feelings" kind of thing and that the staff explained the direction they were going and he wanted to play.

This is a similar situation. I think Rhoda will probably end up at a D2 or MIAC school next season, but it's similar. He was going to be passed on the depth chart.

But you're right, I shouldn't have said Green will be better next season, Green would have passed him on the depth chart.

Top Bottom