Reusse

Grant

Reaction score
Even Reusse says that last nights game was one of the greatest moments in Minnesota sports history. Hahahahahahaha. Love it!

Even Reusse says that last nights game was one of the greatest moments in Minnesota sports history. Hahahahahahaha. Love it!

I get the feeling he's being just a touch condescending:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The 1500 wingdings have been been pretty self-righteous about Gopher fans rooting against the Badgers.

Most of the local sports "writers" were rooting very strongly for the Badgers to win. They would have loved to rub all of are noses into that pile of crap. They talk all pompous about our petty jealousy of Wisconsin. We are not jealous of UW, we just get sick and tired of loud mouth idiots finding any reason to bashing our teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm jealous. You are too. They are on a run in both sports we can only dream about.

TC radio, TV and newspapers all reach western Wisconsin.

Who's to say weather it is our nose or are nose?:rolleyes:

I don't know where the hell this dry-drunk gets off being so pompous all the time. I know it's his schtick - he slags everyone and everything so he can say "I told you so" and create the unconvincing illusion of intelligence, while trusting that his audience is dumb enough to forget his many, many misses (anybody remember his "Country Jer" routine?). Just say anything sardonically enough and you'll fool enough people into thinking you're witty and smart. (Bill Maher's made a career of it, and so has Dennis Miller, though he's not as good at it). But you'd think even Pat would get sick of it after a while.

A fanbase cheering the defeat of a rival the next state over? How shocking. Surely the fact that one team is clearly better than another automatically negates all rooting interests. I can't imagine something like that happening anywhere else but Minnesota. It's a good thing you're smarter than us rubes, eh, Pat?

Reusse is a lazy thinker, in a dying industry, and is surrounded by some of the least talented writers this side of Mrs. Higginbothom's third grade English class. Anger at him is worthless. It simply feeds him. And he oughtn't to be fed any more. Pity is the correct response.

Reusse is a lazy thinker, in a dying industry, and is surrounded by some of the least talented writers this side of Mrs. Higginbothom's third grade English class. Anger at him is worthless. It simply feeds him. And he oughtn't to be fed any more. Pity is the correct response.

True. There are dozens of underemployed bloggers who are ten times as talented as the old farts collecting paychecks from the local fishwraps. Analytics and the Internet have basically made them obsolete. Hell, who here doesn't think SelectionSunday knows basketball better than any of them?

Heh. Now this was a great reply. :clap:

Yeah, Reusse clearly gets his rocks off by trolling the Gopher fan base, so why feed the troll? Deny him that dubious pleasure, and he'll really be miserable.

I don't know where the hell this dry-drunk gets off being so pompous all the time. I know it's his schtick - he slags everyone and everything so he can say "I told you so" and create the unconvincing illusion of intelligence, while trusting that his audience is dumb enough to forget his many, many misses (anybody remember his "Country Jer" routine?). Just say anything sardonically enough and you'll fool enough people into thinking you're witty and smart. (Bill Maher's made a career of it, and so has Dennis Miller, though he's not as good at it). But you'd think even Pat would get sick of it after a while. A fanbase cheering the defeat of a rival the next state over? How shocking. Surely the fact that one team is clearly better than another automatically negates all rooting interests. I can't imagine something like that happening anywhere else but Minnesota. It's a good thing you're smarter than us rubes, eh, Pat?

Bazinga!! Excellent post

I'm jealous. You are too. They are on a run in both sports we can only dream about.

We were on that run in BBall.... then Haskins got busted.

Speaking of that, ....How can the Gophers have their program destroyed by a tutor writing a few papers over a couple of years, but UNC's whole administration can give kids accredited grades on an official transcript based on nothing but sham classes, and not get punished in any way? They played in the tourny in the very same year as being busted, and I didn't hear a word about it in the national media. What gives here?

Who knows what would have happened if Haskins was given the same leash with NCAA that they do at UNC or Duke, for example. He may be coaching the Olympic team right now, and be in the BBall Hall of Fame......and maybe the Gophers would still be on that run...

Reusse likes trolling Gopher fans, because Gopher fans keep giving him ammunition.

Cold, hard truth: WI's FB and Men's BB programs are better than MN's. And yet you can come on this board any day and find Gopher fans taking shots at WI. I will keep saying this: until the Gophers demonstrate they can beat the Badgers on at least a semi-regular basis, Gopher fans should keep their mouths shut and their fingers off the keyboard. Winning has its privileges - including the right to boast and brag. Losing has its costs - including losing the right to boast and brag.

At least in FB, Kill does seem to be closing the gap - but until the Gophs win a conf title, or play in the Rose Bowl, WI is still in front. In Men's BB, the Gophs may win a game once in a while, but WI is clearly a better and more successful program.

And another cold, hard truth: WI losing to Duke does not make the Gopher BB program better. It only illustrates the gaping, endless gap between the two programs. As a Gopher fan, I take no joy in WI losing. I just wish the Gophers had the chance to play in a national title game, win or lose.
I think it's going to be a looooong wait.

Well short ornery Norwegian seems a joy to hang out with at parties.

Reusse likes trolling Gopher fans, because Gopher fans keep giving him ammunition.

Cold, hard truth: WI's FB and Men's BB programs are better than MN's. And yet you can come on this board any day and find Gopher fans taking shots at WI. I will keep saying this: until the Gophers demonstrate they can beat the Badgers on at least a semi-regular basis, Gopher fans should keep their mouths shut and their fingers off the keyboard. Winning has its privileges - including the right to boast and brag. Losing has its costs - including losing the right to boast and brag.

At least in FB, Kill does seem to be closing the gap - but until the Gophs win a conf title, or play in the Rose Bowl, WI is still in front. In Men's BB, the Gophs may win a game once in a while, but WI is clearly a better and more successful program.

And another cold, hard truth: WI losing to Duke does not make the Gopher BB program better. It only illustrates the gaping, endless gap between the two programs. As a Gopher fan, I take no joy in WI losing. I just wish the Gophers had the chance to play in a national title game, win or lose.

Correctamundo!

Patrick makes fun of the um..ummm...we'll say 'over-zealous Gopher fans'. He does a good job of it. Usually followed by said 'over-zealous' Gopher fans shifting into 'over-zealous Gopher fans' second gear......And so on an so forth.

He's one of the few people more cynical than me. I like him.

I get the feeling he's being just a touch condescending:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The 1500 wingdings have been been pretty self-righteous about Gopher fans rooting against the Badgers.

The Goofs? Really? That seems low-brow and unnecessary. How often do Wisconsin or Columbus writers talk about "Becky" or "the Suckeyes?" Do they make references to "the Viqueens" as well? Maybe they do, I don't know, but it just seems unfitting of a professional sports writer.

Basketball yes, football no. Our football team has achieved highs that Wisconsin's never has. We once won 3 national championships in 3 years, Wisconsin has won zero in their more than a century of existence, so I think we've more than earned the right to dream of going to the Rose Bowl (and losing) 3 years in a row.

We were on that run in BBall.... then Haskins got busted.

Speaking of that, ....How can the Gophers have their program destroyed by a tutor writing a few papers over a couple of years, but UNC's whole administration can give kids accredited grades on an official transcript based on nothing but sham classes, and not get punished in any way? They played in the tourny in the very same year as being busted, and I didn't hear a word about it in the national media. What gives here?

Who knows what would have happened if Haskins was given the same leash with NCAA that they do at UNC or Duke, for example. He may be coaching the Olympic team right now, and be in the BBall Hall of Fame......and maybe the Gophers would still be on that run...

If I'm understanding the UNC situation correctly, I think part of the reason North Carolina hasn't received any punishment is because they offered their BS classes to everyone, not just athletes. Gangelhoff just did the basketball players' homework, and thus the basketball players got grades that their classmates had to work hard for. I believe that UNC offered their sham classes to everyone, so it was more the academic side of the school acting up, and the athletes playing along with it. Basically if the school wants to grant students a math degree for simply knowing that 2+2=4, then all the athletes have to do to remain academically eligible is know basic addition. So the university set a very low standard, but as long as the athletes are hitting that standard, then any wrong-doing is the fault of the university, not the athletics department.

An analogy I think would be that if college students were running a marathon, Minnesota gave the basketball players performance enhancing drugs, whereas UNC simply defined a marathon to be only a half-mile long race for everyone, athletes and non-athletes.

Of course Gophers fans are going to take shots at Wisconsin, we're rivals, that's what we do. Wisconsin fans do the same thing, and will probably continue doing so even during times when our programs are more successful than theirs for a while. In football at least, they have a losing record against us, and fewer conference and nationals championships and still trash talk us. It's probably gonna keep happening regardless of how good we both are.

Well short ornery Norwegian seems a joy to hang out with at parties.

Don't know about parties, but I sure as hell wouldn't mind having a long conversation about most sports with him. Actually has some perspective and depth rather than the knee-jerk, immature posts some folks specialize in.

The Goofs? Really? That seems low-brow and unnecessary. How often do Wisconsin or Columbus writers talk about "Becky" or "the Suckeyes?" Do they make references to "the Viqueens" as well? Maybe they do, I don't know, but it just seems unfitting of a professional sports writer.

Basketball yes, football no. Our football team has achieved highs that Wisconsin's never has. We once won 3 national championships in 3 years, Wisconsin has won zero in their more than a century of existence, so I think we've more than earned the right to dream of going to the Rose Bowl (and losing) 3 years in a row.

If I'm understanding the UNC situation correctly, I think part of the reason North Carolina hasn't received any punishment is because they offered their BS classes to everyone, not just athletes. Gangelhoff just did the basketball players' homework, and thus the basketball players got grades that their classmates had to work hard for. I believe that UNC offered their sham classes to everyone, so it was more the academic side of the school acting up, and the athletes playing along with it. Basically if the school wants to grant students a math degree for simply knowing that 2+2=4, then all the athletes have to do to remain academically eligible is know basic addition. So the university set a very low standard, but as long as the athletes are hitting that standard, then any wrong-doing is the fault of the university, not the athletics department.

An analogy I think would be that if college students were running a marathon, Minnesota gave the basketball players performance enhancing drugs, whereas UNC simply defined a marathon to be only a half-mile long race for everyone, athletes and non-athletes.

Of course Gophers fans are going to take shots at Wisconsin, we're rivals, that's what we do. Wisconsin fans do the same thing, and will probably continue doing so even during times when our programs are more successful than theirs for a while. In football at least, they have a losing record against us, and fewer conference and nationals championships and still trash talk us. It's probably gonna keep happening regardless of how good we both are.

I always love the comparisons. Maybe they are the ones who are jealous. I hate Wisconsin, always have and always will. I would cheer for their bowling team to lose if they have one. Of course it is a rivalry. Most of my hatred is aimed at their fans. They are the worst fans in all of sports. They are drunk, obnoxious, and stupid. They have had great success in football and basketball. Any school would love that kind of success but I am not jealous. You can also say they have failed. All of those bowl games and tournament appearances have not produced one championship. When you are close you need to win. They are not going to sustain this forever and what goes around comes around. I look forward to the day when they are at the bottom looking up.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying the Badgers "suck" is ridiculous and is deserving of scorn or ridicule, but the use of terms like "Goofs" would never fly in other markets. Minnesota is very strange in the way it makes fun of its team instead of being angry that they are not better. Mocking doesn't do anything to advance the program and is every bit as bad as claiming a superior team "sucks". There's a lot of good Gopher fans that deserve a much better product than they have received.

I was thrilled Wisconsin lost and don't see any need to apologize for that. I hate Wisconsin and Iowa and root for them to lose against anyone...even Duke. I certainly wouldn't trash talk fans when they lose a big game (I wouldn't do it ever), but I especially wouldn't do it when they have a better program and didn't lose to the Gophers. I'd certainly trade places with the Badgers in terms of success and have zero problems admitting that. I don't consider myself any more jealous of Wisconsin than I am of UConn or Baylor or other programs that have come from nowhere to have success in football and/or basketball over the last 20 years or so. I am jealous (envious a better word) of the success, not the school.

Interesting to see a post in this thread claiming the Gophers have closed the gap in football, but not in basketball. I am not saying I disagree, but Pitino beat the Badgers last season and Tubby beat them the year before that. Maybe the perception that Wisconsin football is on the decline a bit while Wisconsin basketball is at it's apex contributes to the closing the gap debate.

I always love the comparisons. Maybe they are the ones who are jealous. I hate Wisconsin, always have and always will. I would cheer for their bowling team to lose if they have one. Of course it is a rivalry. Most of my hatred is aimed at their fans. They are the worst fans in all of sports. They are drunk, obnoxious, and stupid. They have had great success in football and basketball. Any school would love that kind of success but I am not jealous. You can also say they have failed. All of those bowl games and tournament appearances have not produced one championship. When you are close you need to win. They are not going to sustain this forever and what goes around comes around. I look forward to the day when they are at the bottom looking up.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost word for word what I think and feel.

Top Bottom