Reusse Writing the Facts

Yes, Zambam, yes! It is not important enough here and that does frustrate me. It irritates me to no end when people compare the football and basketball programs (btw - I am afraid the hoops program is heading in the same direction as football, for similar reasons). The lack of success at our only major fb program should be UNACCEPTABLE to all four million state citizens. Unfortunately, I am concerned too many people here care more about giving up their Fall Saturdays than supporting the men of Gold Country. Secondly, there is this Ice Hockey thing ?.?.?.? Do the Gopher Hockey fans know about the growth in popularity of FIELD HOCKEY in this country? Where are the Pac-12, ACC, and SEC teams in this sport? Three games a year (NCAA semi-finals and finals) on ESPN ... and NOTHING ELSE! Went to my first Gopher Hockey game circa 1985 (as a twelve year old) and thought, "where is Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, etc." Needless to say, it didn't mean much to me since. Guess I digress.

If you think that having a strong, successful hockey program that is very popular is somehow a hindrance to Gopher football becoming better, I'm confounded. In fact, without hockey profits contributing to prop up the athletic department the football program would not have been able to make the investments it has in recent years.

A lot of people in the upper midwest and northeast care a lot about college hockey. Many of us also care about college football. It's a regional sport and that's why ESPN only broadcasts a few games per year, but others are stepping up (NBC sports and BTN) to give college hockey a more visible presence on the airwaves.

Very few people anywhere care about field hockey (lacrosse is growing in popularity much more so than field hockey).

Really? I figured that with all the sports our athletic department supports the Minnesota lacrosse team was a school team as well.

Nope, just a good club team, but I'd love to see it added if the football program starts winning and raking in money to the department. It's quite easy to see the list of sports if you go to gophersports.com and click the sports dropdown menu.

I'm no DL65 but here goes.

First off, his comments were all very tongue-in-cheek, obvious to anyone that was paying attention.

He mentioned that he got responses to his article on the comments section and from emails about being lazy. I did not hear him mention GH, but I'm sure he was thinking that also.

He went on about MN is the only school to lose to a 1 AA team two years in a row and mentioned 70% of bcs schools go to a bowl game, along with his other factoids that were in the article. Said is was new info that he didn't know and he had to do research to find it. All this was again done very tongue-in cheek.

He referred to 'Gopher Fans" as Killees. Big effing deal.

The jist of what he was saying is if 70% of bcs teams go to a bowl game it isn't that big of a deal and is nothing to be proud off. Going to a bowl game used to mean more.

I can't believe how thin-skinned many GHers are. Take a joke and get over yourselves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Two other things popped out in the ten minutes or so I was listening. One, is just how personal and unprofessional this whole bit with the U really is. I hope folks realize we are now "Killees" which is what he was calling us Gopher fans who are optimistic about Kill. It was sort of a "Na ... na ... na" moment listening to a 6th grade kid trying to insult somebody. Not very clever and quite pathetic. He was setting it up so he could ridicule Killees next fall if we do get to a bowl game."

Sorry Mulligan, you are taking either yourself or Ruesse way too seriously.

Really bad review. Epic fail.

Just because a fan gets annoyed/upset because of a writer or two doesn't mean he/she is thin-skinned. It means they are passionate, enough so to speak out about said writer.

But go ahead and keep Pats knob in your cheek. It's kinda cute.

The problem that a lot of people have (myself included) is that he plays the part of actually caring about Gopher football (i.e. "our beloved rodents"). Once in awhile, he puts on the show, claiming that he's been "hooked" ever since he saw a game at Memorial. You're a journalist and you're always supposed to be objective. You can't try and sell me a bill of goods that you actually want the Gophers to win, because I'm not buying it. Your actions speak otherwise. The Gophers suck right now. The Gophers have sucked for a long time. That's telling it like it is. I want them to win every game. Reusee doesn't. He treats each and every loss as an opportunity to kick more dirt in the face of a program that's had its fair share of dirt kicked on it. He can stop with the "our" when talking about the U. He's not a fan. That's fine. He's not supposed to be. Don't try to convince me that you are.

Happy happy fun time!

Yes, the reason we are the second most futile team in the big ten is that Pat has too many sandwiches. Problem solved.

Have some actual success, and Mr. Reusse won't bother you anymore. He isn't paid to be a cheerleader for the University, and he isn't Sid Hartman.

Sid will die in the near future, and the "everything is roses" era of sportswriting will end. Pat isn't taking care of himself, and is a part timer at the paper anyway, and the era of "everything sucks" will end then too.

The new universe is even scarier--it's "find an internet writer who says everything I want to hear". That's the new reality, and it seems a lot of people already live there.

Take your laptop when you drop a deuce, folks.

[QUOTE=Breakin' The Plane;
Once in awhile, he puts on the show, claiming that he's been "hooked" ever since he saw a game at Memorial. You're a journalist and you're always supposed to be objective..."

Columnists, by their very nature don't have to be objective. Right now you are being about as objective as a columnist is "supposed" to be. Columnists aren't necessarily reporting the news. They are commenting on a situation.

I WANT the new prexy of the U of M to get the message that things have NOT been good within the athletic department during the TEN years of macturi AND that things have not been good within the athletic department for a very LONG time. prexy k needs to realize that in the opinion of a LOT of people that it is time for the University of Minnesota to start showing some pride in the football program just the same way that iowa, wisky, Michigan, the OHIO STATE University, Nebraska, Michigan State and some of the other conference members have.

WHY defend the record? Why not put the heat on the administration at the University of Minnesota for the past 50 seasons? Do you not ever ask yourselves "...WHY the H. things have been SO poorly run within the football program for the past 50 seasons? WHAT have they been doing over there?

It is time for a lot more people to express their ire and dismay about the inability of the administration at the U of M to have joined the OTHER Big Ten University Members in striving to be a competetive and more successful football program.

reusse may have posed the question. reusse, howeve is NOT the problem. Many more of us SHOULD be asking the question and we SHOULD be demanding MORE in the way of effort, attitude AND results in Football from the ONLY people with the power to do something...the University of Minnesota prexy and the athletic director.

You dislike reusse. I dislike reusse. It's time for most of the Twin Cities Sports Media to be ditched and de-bussed.

Yet, reusse is doing the correct thing. It's time for more Gopher Fans to start standing up and letting people know that it is time for the U of M to join iowa, wisky, Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan State. et al Big Ten Programs in being MORE successful within the Big Ten Conference in football. Why knock the truth?

I'm no DL65 but here goes.

First off, his comments were all very tongue-in-cheek, obvious to anyone that was paying attention.

Well people hear what they want to hear, but your most astute comment is that you're no DL65. "Tongue-in-cheek" doesn't exactly convey his usual sarcastic and ridiculing voice. You're conveniently ignoring his referencing some columnist who evidently convinced him a columnist needs to rely on the facts to present a picture. That's all he was doing--he researched so he could present the facts about the football program. He wasn't even sarcastic then; he was sort of defensive and serious, if you were paying attention.

That begs the question we keep asking. Why? It's not to enlighten or change. It's simply to ridicule a target and provoke a reaction. With all going on in Minnesota sports, why such a disproportionate number of columns about Gopher football? A sport he, more than once, has said he doesn't care for. A program whose season has been over for over a month? Why such juvenile name-calling as "Killees"? Ya, no big effing deal because it's so childish and pathetic and it won't stick. By why does he feel the need to go after Kill so hard and try to rile his supporters so much? I can take a joke, and I take Reusse way too seriously, because I'm stupid enough to care about Gopher football, and just get tired of this jackass in particular using it as a pinata to whack around whenever he needs an easy column. Reusse apologists always go back to "he's presenting an opinion;" followed up by "he's just telling it like it is;" followed up by "quit being such a baby". That's fine for a column or two, but we're supposed to believe this over and over?

His "history lesson" isn't some noble journalistic attempt as a call to action. However, it's part of maintaining an atmosphere that contributes it making it harder to get out of this hole the U has been in.

Yes, the reason we are the second most futile team in the big ten is that Pat has too many sandwiches. Problem solved.

Have some actual success, and Mr. Reusse won't bother you anymore. He isn't paid to be a cheerleader for the University, and he isn't Sid Hartman.

Sid will die in the near future, and the "everything is roses" era of sportswriting will end. Pat isn't taking care of himself, and is a part timer at the paper anyway, and the era of "everything sucks" will end then too.

The new universe is even scarier--it's "find an internet writer who says everything I want to hear". That's the new reality, and it seems a lot of people already live there.

Sums it up quite well.

The Reusse backers always seem to go with the "Don't blame Reusse for the Gophers sucking" line.

Let's clear this up: Nobody is blaming Reusse for the Gophers being bad. He is just bad at what he does. I'm not offended by Reusse; I just don't read his columns because I already know what they say. THAT is the mark of a bad writer.

That begs the question we keep asking. Why? It's not to enlighten or change. It's simply to ridicule a target and provoke a reaction. With all going on in Minnesota sports, why such a disproportionate number of columns about Gopher football? A sport he, more than once, has said he doesn't care for. A program whose season has been over for over a month? Why such juvenile name-calling as "Killees"? Ya, no big effing deal because it's so childish and pathetic and it won't stick. By why does he feel the need to go after Kill so hard and try to rile his supporters so much? I can take a joke, and I take Reusse way too seriously, because I'm stupid enough to care about Gopher football, and just get tired of this jackass in particular using it as a pinata to whack around whenever he needs an easy column. Reusse apologists always go back to "he's presenting an opinion;" followed up by "he's just telling it like it is;" followed up by "quit being such a baby". That's fine for a column or two, but we're supposed to believe this over and over?

His "history lesson" isn't some noble journalistic attempt as a call to action. However, it's part of maintaining an atmosphere that contributes it making it harder to get out of this hole the U has been in.
Thank you, well said.

As I heard the bit...I believe the correct spelling is "Killies"...

I like being labeled as a "Kill-Aid Drinker" myself, but understand that is long for radio. I guess "KAD" for short would work...down to one syllable...

Here's to a brand new football season...may the Gophers prosper starting in Las Vegas...Happy New Year!

Go Gophers! In Kill I Trust!

Really bad review. Epic fail.

Just because a fan gets annoyed/upset because of a writer or two doesn't mean he/she is thin-skinned. It means they are passionate, enough so to speak out about said writer.

But go ahead and keep Pats knob in your cheek. It's kinda cute.

Annoyed doesn't. Upset does.

Your last sentence is really classy. Keep up the good work.

Annoyed doesn't. Upset does.

Your last sentence is really classy. Keep up the good work.

Oh, you don't like assumption on your opinions?

Maybe you should get thicker skin maybe?

Or just stop making accusations about those who don't like Reusse.

The Reusse backers always seem to go with the "Don't blame Reusse for the Gophers sucking" line.

Let's clear this up: Nobody is blaming Reusse for the Gophers being bad. He is just bad at what he does. I'm not offended by Reusse; I just don't read his columns because I already know what they say. THAT is the mark of a bad writer.[

Just at the Reusse bashers seem to go with "I don't read him, but I already know I disagree with him on everything". Dogma goes both ways.

I honestly don't understand the attention he gets on this board. If he let a fart that sounded like the rouser, somebody would post that here. And then somebody will say he's fat. And then somebody will perform pop psychology about how he wasn't picked first to play baseball. Yawn. Can we just reduce this to a number people can quote, say, Gopherhole argument #2, and abbreviate the whole process? Either comment on the article posted or ignore it. Or don't post the article. It's all good.

I'm not necessarily somebody who invites him to backyard barbecues. I met him once, back in his drinking days, and he behaved, well, like a drunk a-hole. I do think he can tell a good story, and knows the elements of such. And I do appreciate that he is willing to say "I was wrong". Beyond that, he's another writer.

I agree with your reasoning, and I would be inclined to change my stance, but I have never been wrong and have never been surprised by one of Reusse's columns. I have never met the guy and won't make any assumptions about the kind of guy he is, but history has proven me correct on the content of his writing.

Formo said:
Oh, you don't like assumption on your opinions?

Maybe you should get thicker skin maybe?

Or just stop making accusations about those who don't like Reusse.

Exactly - Station19 is a Reusse supporter and if you're not he unleashes the hate upon you. I think there is a chance he's Reusse!!

Exactly - Station19 is a Reusse supporter and if you're not he unleashes the hate upon you. I think there is a chance he's Reusse!!

I think that Pat's handle would be Tanqueray.

The question remains -- what happened about fifty years ago to dramatically change Gopher football. There's an elephant in the room.

The question remains -- what happened about fifty years ago to dramatically change Gopher football. There's an elephant in the room.

To Minnesota? The Vikings were in town and started winning and more importantly, Southern schools integrated their football teams. Been discussed many times before. If you want the Gopher Hole "politically correct" version, it was Maturi's fault..:rolleyes:

Lets look before 1960 for a moment before blaming the Vikings for the Gophers woes. Prior to 1960, the Gophers hadn't won the Big Ten title since 1941. The Vikings couldn't be blamed for that. And even if the Vikings caused the decline in Gophers football, so what? Work around it. Blaming the Vikings is just throwing your hands in the air and giving up.

To Minnesota? The Vikings were in town and started winning and more importantly, Southern schools integrated their football teams. Been discussed many times before. If you want the Gopher Hole "politically correct" version, it was Maturi's fault..:rolleyes:

No, that is entirely foolish thinking on your part. macturi gets credit for the last 10 seasons of crap that he has put the revenue sports programs through. But THAT is an unforgivably LONG period of time and you KNOW what has to be done with macturi...

; 0 )

Lets look before 1960 for a moment before blaming the Vikings for the Gophers woes. Prior to 1960, the Gophers hadn't won the Big Ten title since 1941. The Vikings couldn't be blamed for that. And even if the Vikings caused the decline in Gophers football, so what? Work around it. Blaming the Vikings is just throwing your hands in the air and giving up.

YES!! +1

My Pat Reusse story. Several years ago, my brother and I were standing in front of the Dome before a Gopher FB game, waiting for some friends to join us. I saw Reusse walking toward the dome, with some briefcase/backpack on rollers contraption. I walked over and tried to talk to him, mentioning that I had been at the Fulda HS (Pat's home town) football game the previous night. Pat looked at me like I was a worm, never said a word, walked past me and kept going. You can say what you will about Sid, but at least Sid will talk to fans.

My Pat Reusse story. Several years ago, my brother and I were standing in front of the Dome before a Gopher FB game, waiting for some friends to join us. I saw Reusse walking toward the dome, with some briefcase/backpack on rollers contraption. I walked over and tried to talk to him, mentioning that I had been at the Fulda HS (Pat's home town) football game the previous night. Pat looked at me like I was a worm, never said a word, walked past me and kept going. You can say what you will about Sid, but at least Sid will talk to fans.

He's French.

Top Bottom