Reusse: Transfering Never Entered DenHartog's mind

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

The Gophers softball team had landed Hope Brandner as a transfer from Oregon State in August 2018. This was going to add a power-hitting first baseman to a team led by catcher Kendyl Lindaman, with 20 home runs in each of her first two seasons with the Gophers.

Then, in late November, it was announced Lindaman was using the transfer portal to head to Florida, a dynastic program in the potent SEC.

OK, Brandner would be in the lineup, but could that alone make up for the loss of power production provided by Lindaman?

Turned out, it didn't have to.

"I didn't know what position the Gophers had for Natalie as a freshman, but I thought for sure they would want her bat in the lineup,'' Hopkins softball coach Carl Yancy said.

Natalie DenHartog wound up being the designated player — a DH who can also be used in the field on occasion — when coach Jamie Trachsel used her No. 1 lineup.

DenHartog is a Jamie Trachsel gem. I am pretty sure that the previous staff let her commit somewhere else. I think it was Augustana. Bottom line is she would not be here if not for Trachsel as far as I know.

Top Bottom