Reusse: Soft schedule? Too much hot air? Regardless, it's time to endorse P.J. Fleck and 2022 Gophers; "I'm buying P.J. Fleck."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
It only took Pat 24 paragraphs (yes, I counted) to get to the thesis of his column, but alas, Pat is grabbing an oar!

"P.J. loves it here, and he knows he can win here,'' Mackay said. "We have a true star in this coach.''

OK, after the overwhelming start against chumps this season, and a solid chance to win Saturday at Michigan State, and with the Big Ten West crumbling as the Gophers rise, and in honor of the 90th birthday of my later-in-life friend Harvey, there's a revised outlook for this fall. Here goes:

I'm buying P.J. Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

Reusse can really write quite well when he puts in an effort. I think his problem with P.J. has been along the lines of what P.J. said when h first got here "I'm not for everyone". With all the victores that Mr. Fleck has brought here, he does grow on people!
Reusse has always been an extremely talented writer. It's just a shame how he chooses to utilize his talent.

Reusse can really write quite well when he puts in an effort. I think his problem with P.J. has been along the lines of what P.J. said when h first got here "I'm not for everyone". With all the victores that Mr. Fleck has brought here, he does grow on people!
Fleck has also toned down the schtik as well.

It only took Pat 24 paragraphs (yes, I counted) to get to the thesis of his column, but alas, Pat is grabbing an oar!

"P.J. loves it here, and he knows he can win here,'' Mackay said. "We have a true star in this coach.''

OK, after the overwhelming start against chumps this season, and a solid chance to win Saturday at Michigan State, and with the Big Ten West crumbling as the Gophers rise, and in honor of the 90th birthday of my later-in-life friend Harvey, there's a revised outlook for this fall. Here goes:

I'm buying P.J. Fleck.

Go Gophers!!
giphy.gif
He's hedging his bet.

Posted this elsewhere, but....

was listening to Reusse's weekly podcast on Skor North. He talked about liking the Gophers' chances to win the B1G West. He then said "I've decided that Defensive Coordinator Joe Rossi is really good."

to which Judd Zulgad responded, "yeah, maybe he'll get a real job soon."

so, apparently being a DC at a B1G school is not a real job according to Judd.

One of Reusse's best write-ups was the Tuesday before the 2003 Friday-night game for The Jug. Both the Gophers and Vikings had started their seasons great and his point was that Minnesota was, and would always be, a football reigns supreme state. He offered high hopes for both programs coming into that next weekend.

If memory serves me correct we next played Michigan State after the Friday-night debacle. The rest of the season was in front of us if we'd just rise up and take it. To no avail we were flat and Sparty won 44-38. We went on to go 10-3 with a win over Oregon at the Sun Bowl as Mason's best year but that loss to MSU stunk almost as bad as the previous one.

Remarkably that article has stayed with me now for almost 20 years. It was a great read as a Gophers fan as both the UM and Vikings were relevant at the same time. I'll say "Thanks Pat" for that one...

Unless he is writing hos
Reusse has always been an extremely talented writer. It's just a shame how he chooses to utilize his talent.
Especially when he is writing his weekly column gushing about town baseball!

I'm buying P.J. Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

Reusse went after Fleck big time for a few years. He started praising Fleck, grudgingly, in '19. Didn't go after him much after that. Was on his side last season too. Fleck has earned all the praise he's been given.

Fleck has said a number of times that he wishes he would have done things differently at WMU and his first year or so here.

Selective memories are also a Minnesota Fan tradition.

was listening to Reusse's weekly podcast on Skor North. He talked about liking the Gophers' chances to win the B1G West. He then said "I've decided that Defensive Coordinator Joe Rossi is really good."

So many of those guys are Skip Bayless wannabes. Just say as many stupid things as they can to get attention.

Judd Zulgad is hard to like.

Patrick will write or tweet something very sarcastic if the Gophers lose on Saturday. I think he actually wants Minnesota to win and is genuinely hurt/disappointed when they lose. Might be a bad read but I feel that is his way of dealing.

Hopefully he’s writing something nice on Saturday and we’re all happy.

Given all the commentators, bloggers, podcasts etc., it is really hard to care too much about what Reusse (or any one writer, host, etc.) thinks. It’s not like 20 years ago when Reusse and Barrero dominated sports commentary in this market.

MSU beats Gophers and Ruesse will revert back to his normal self. Along with the rest of the writers who bought into Fleck.
But, maybe the Gopher beats the Spartan this time. That’s why they play the games. I was in East Lansing for the last game the Gopher won there. The team that runs the ball the best on Saturday is my pick to win the game. Run the ball, run the clock and take what the Spartan will give you through the air Gopher. The time is right…the time is now. It’s there for the taking Gopher!

Patrick will write or tweet something very sarcastic if the Gophers lose on Saturday. I think he actually wants Minnesota to win and is genuinely hurt/disappointed when they lose. Might be a bad read but I feel that is his way of dealing.

Hopefully he’s writing something nice on Saturday and we’re all happy.

This.

Reusse is a great writer. You should hear his musings based on his time as Jabba The Hutt.

Wow, some of us work really hard to preemptively figure out where the next slight is coming from....

Reusse said something nice for a change, enjoy it. He isn't paid to be nice so when he has a reason to go back to being snarky he is going to.

The local media is never going to fawn over Gopher football because we have a pro sports town which is handled differently than a college town. Just the way it is. All we can do is hope the program doesn't give them reasons to be negative.

I don't buy this article for a second.

He's hoping Gophers lose, so he can roar with laughter and publish a troll article.

Top Bottom