Reusse: Players aren't sucked into Brewster spin

What does the title of that article have to do with substance? I use the term substance lightly.

Well, Reusse bashers, how about this passage?:

Brewster and the Illini did win the Big Ten in 1983 and played in the Rose Bowl. This week, he recalled a trip to Iowa City as another notable moment at Illinois.

Asked about the visitors' locker room in Kinnick Stadium that is famously adorned in pink, Brewster offered an anecdote: "[Coach] Mike White, when we went in there the first time, he put meat locker paper all over it. Covered the whole locker room. You didn't see an ounce of pink anywhere.''

Did you win the game?

"We did; we did,'' Brewster said. "But I don't think it had to do with the paper."

As it turns out, White's paper hanging went for naught. Brewster played only once in Iowa City and the Illini lost, 14-13.

Well, Reusse bashers, how about this passage?:

Well, skoalvikings, why don't you read one of the other enlightening threads on this controversial subject posted in the last two days....

This can't possibly be the headline they are running with in tomorrow's print. I think the online headline writer is having some fun here.

This can't possibly be the headline they are running with in tomorrow's print. I think the online headline writer is having some fun here.

The print piece has the exact same headline.

Go Gophers!!

Uh, How about that OTHER Team

The Timberwolves are now 1-11 and so Reusse goes after Brewster for screwing-up a 27 year old memory. Go figure....

Oh my god!! You're telling me that Brewster was wrong about an insignificant fact that happened decades ago. He's gotta go! Recruiting be damned. We can't have a head coach filling our players' heads with lies about that Iowa/Illinois matchup from before they were born. Gather up your pitchforks and torches, men. I'll bring the wheelbarrow to pick up Reusse if you bring the 2X4's to pry him out the front door!

I don't mind Patrick, but I have to say, this was a "nothing" column.

I don't hate Reusse the way most people do on this board. But it's clear he was too busy with the Turkey of the Year award to put much effort into this piece. I kept waiting for the point, but it never appeared.

Maybe he's saving the good stuff on Brewster for Thanksgiving morning.

He was busy with a "turkey" alright although "chicken" might be closer to the truth as in "choking". Must have been a real slow day at Old Country Buffet. There was absolutely nothing new in his column, course there seldom is. Negative, negative negative. For those who read him regularly does he really ever give anyone credit for anything good?

Hard to figure out what was worse, the headline or the column. The headline in no way related to the content of the column, but Reusse does not write the headlines.

The column really did not have a point and did not make the point I think he was trying to make.

I really like Reusse, but that column was poorly thought out and poorly written.

Read the article, typical pointless bashing of Brewster. Then, I clicked on the "Reusse vs. Souhan Unsportsmanlike Comment" link, and it was more of the same. Reusse characterized the SDSU team last week as an ordinary DI-AA team that the 2007 NDSU team would have beaten by 30-never mind that SDSU beat that NDSU team in 2007, and this year's team beat top-10 UNI and again beat a poor NDSU team. Nonetheless, his cherry-picking of comments gets old after a while.

http://www.startribune.com/video/70383977.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUjc8LDyiUiacyKUHDYaGEP7eyckcUs

This, along with his almost giddy descriptiuon of Brock Lesnar's situation and insinuation that Lesnar needs to get off the 'roids makes this a typical "holier-than-thou" Reusse piece.

Most of his negativity was directed toward Gopher hockey this time around. He did make me laugh toward the end when he said the good thing about David Kahn writing a letter to T-Wolves fans is that he only needs to make eight copies.

I don't hate Reusse the way most people do on this board. But it's clear he was too busy with the Turkey of the Year award to put much effort into this piece. I kept waiting for the point, but it never appeared.

Maybe he's saving the good stuff on Brewster for Thanksgiving morning.

I've always found it amusingly ironic that the biggest turkey on the strib staff writes about a "Turkey of the Year" every Thanksgiving. I guess it takes one to know one.

I'm still trying to figure out what that column was supposed to be about...

people, the best way to handle reusse is to ignore him! he feeds off people hating him. he is the classic contrarian (like many on this board) and being such he gets his jollies off of people disagreeing with him and disagreeing with others.

the thing that would hurt him most is to completely ignore him (until the gophers start winning and he starts trying to get his greasy fingers on a press pass).

That assumes that the only publicity that Reusse gets is from us complaining about him, which isn't true. Even if we do ignore him, he isn't going away. His position rests on being perceived as giving an honest informed opinion.

We can rest assured that the players aren't sucked into Fat Pat's spin. Most probably don't even know who he is, other than his mug shot on the Strib columns.

We can rest assured that the players aren't sucked into Fat Pat's spin. Most probably don't even know who he is, other than his mug shot on the Strib columns.

They might not be sucked into his spin, but I've heard he can be hard to resist. It's a little know fact that Mr. Reusse has his own gravitational pull.

The players know Reusse, and they all distrust and despise him. It has been this way for years.

Top Bottom