Reusse: NIL funding for Gophers men's basketball stands at $0.00. Pitino's better off in Lobo Land, I'm guessing.

Then don't expect to win like others.

I don't expect to - that's why I was so severely disappointed with the Gophers football outcome this year.

The way NIL is currently structured, the top 25 rankings (for both football and basketball) will start to very closely mirror the top 25 NIL spending. Most northern/progressive areas are not going to throw big sums at random kids. The fact that places like Oxford and Fayetteville and such will is their deal but MN doesn't endeavor to be like these places.

Pay the kids but do it differently or just accept that places that spend millions annually on NIL are going to always win.

I have no problem buying tickets to games or events but I am not giving additional money to random kids. I have no problem with these kids being paid but I think the idea that most progressive areas are going to be willing to give pass through money in this way is bonkers.
This.👆

Media in this town is easy on diffident Ben as
Well as the fans ——Where is the firebenjohnson.com site? Oh wait, no one cares.

This is the best one we’ve had sports wise in a long time too.
For football and hockey, I agree. But for both men’s and women’s basketball Coyle’s been a disaster with his high risk approach to both coaching positions (which ran completely contrary to his approach hiring Fleck and Motzko), and his failure to pull the trigger on Pitino earlier than he did. I don’t have any confidence either program is going to turn it around and be consistently competitive with him as AD because basketball doesn’t seem to be a priority for him.

the NIL question could depend on how Reusse is defining NIL.

If, by NIL, he is talking about a SEC-style 'collective' that is enticing players with 6-figure offers, then I think it's very possible that the Gophers are not getting any money from that type of a situation.

on the other hand, if you're talking about a player signing autographs at Casa De Autos or hawking his own T-Shirt, I think that is the kind of NIL that Dinkytown Athletes is involved with - which does provide support to athletes, but at a much smaller scale.

This is factually untrue and I have receipts from what I’ve given to prove it

Parker Fox made like $12k last year through NIL.

Reuses is lying.
On the Randball Podcast today, Reusse stated he confirmed the claim "with a source inside the program not named Ben Johnson."

FWIW.

On the Randball Podcast today, Reusse stated he confirmed the claim "with a source inside the program not named Ben Johnson."

FWIW.
Keep in mind, the players can negotiate their own deals, so while Reusse might be right in terms of the collective, the players are free to make their own outside of that realm as well.

I agree with you. I've posted my thoughts on this a couple of times in recent weeks. I think there are 4 Big Ten programs whose actions, or lack thereof, indicate that they don't care that much about basketball: Penn State, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Minnesota. The first three of these have never had more than an occasional successful year in the sport since they've been in the Big Ten. PSU hired a coach of similar stature to ours. Their prior coach had 3 winning years in 9 seasons; the reasons given for his dismissal were conduct rather than performance related. Nebraska hired a name coach but they would have fired him by now if he produced this type of record as the football coach. Northwestern is having a good season this year but 7 of Collins' previous 9 seasons have been losing; he would have been fired by now if his teams performed this way in football. As others have mentioned, these four schools still reap the benefits of conference TV money and that may be enough for them right now.

I think this university cares about maintaining its level of success in football and it cares about maintaining its status in hockey. Collegiate hockey attracts far larger proportion of fans here than it does in most states and provides the additional benefits of significant in-state competition and rivalries.

So what do we do as Gopher basketball fans? I guess that depends upon each individual's attitude. I still enjoy watching them to a degree (maybe that's habit more than anything else) although I've mostly stopped caring about whether they win or not. I guess I don't mind being a fan of a bad team. Someone's got to do it. If one enjoys going against the crowd, it's a natural fit!
I hear what you're saying, and perhaps you're right, but I believe they do care strongly about the basketball program and Coyle thought CBJ would do great things. It seems like a stretch to conclude they don't care about basketball. Why would they have fired Pitino if they didn't care about the sport? They want to be better than Pitino and they thought CBJ was capable of doing it.

Have a hard time believing not a single Dinkytown Athletes membership isn't directed towards basketball. You get to pick your sport when you sign up.

If we're giving the benefit of the doubt to Pat and saying he's "mistaken" then we should also preface that by saying he is clearly a terrible reporter. Stick to columns where you can spout off whatever hottake you want.

Reusse was on with Chad Hartman and the last thing they discussed was Gopher basketball. Reusse feels that Johnson likely went from 4 years to 3 years if things don't look exponentially better next year. With all the TV money they can't sit back. He also said he was able to confirm that the Basketball program has zero NIL $$ at this time. It's all going to Football. They also quickly mentioned need for new Arena. Hartman said it should have been replaced 20 years ago. They said they don't know of one person that would donate to the cause.

the Basketball program has zero NIL $$ at this time. It's all going to Football.

That's just not true. There are basketball players getting some money. It isn't a lot, but it isn't zero.

They also quickly mentioned need for new Arena. Hartman said it should have been replaced 20 years ago. They said they don't know of one person that would donate to the cause.

Don't need one person. Need one big corporation for a big dollar naming rights deal and the state of Minnesota to chip in with a big chunk. State has helped fund all kinds of sports arenas/venues/causes (including those of billionaire owners). The state certainly can chip in on building something nice and new for a state-owned public entity.

Venue shaming meanwhile Butler’s Hinkle pace is getting tourney games. This attitude got us in the dome.
What Tourney games is Hinkle getting? The NCAA had to use it in 2021 when the whole thing was in Indy, but I don't see anything on tap through 2026.

I was referring to the past. There are times my English is no bueno.

What Tourney games is Hinkle getting? The NCAA had to use it in 2021 when the whole thing was in Indy, but I don't see anything on tap through 2026.

Hinkle Fieldhouse is getting the NIT semis and championship next year.

Hinkle Fieldhouse is getting the NIT semis and championship next year.
Ah, good point. I forgot, being moved from MSG to Hinkle and Vegas, I believe.

This isn’t Oxford, MS and by every measure of quality of life nobody should want it to be. We’re never going to give large sums of money to third-party intermediaries to then turn around and give it to 17-22 year old kids.

I have no problem buying tickets to games or events but I am not giving additional money to random kids. I have no problem with these kids being paid but I think the idea that most progressive areas are going to be willing to give pass through money in this way is bonkers.
You don't appear to understand the new reality of the sport. You want a winning team - you pay for it.

I figured this was going to be the case when I read the term "equity gap" in the early press releases about the coaching search. To my memory, these came from the university rather than the local press. Ben was an ideal choice from this standpoint. He is from Minnesota, played here, and spent a lot of years as an assistant coach without being elevated to a head coaching position. Hiring an established African American head coach would not have been addressing the "equity gap" because that person would have been elevated already. Anyone who has a significant connection to higher education in this state is familiar with this term and the great importance attached to it by higher educational administration throughout the state.
I used to write a check every year (currently 36 years) to watch the gopher bb team play around .500, although a much higher percentage at home. Now I'm paying to correct an "equity gap" that the higher education system has decided is the university's priority, including in the athletic department. That's just great.

Fox is getting NIL?

I didn’t realize there were basketball fans at Twin City Orthopedics.

I hope Ihnen is getting his cut.

Top Bottom