Reusse looks at star ratings for Georgia, OSU, Bama, Gophs: "Not intended as shot at Gophs; just numbers showing why college FB sucks."

It gets clicks. Strib seems more like a job for him these days. My guess is he's doing fine with his other streams of revenue.
That’s fine you don’t have to answer the question

8th highest payroll last year. Their opponent the Phillies were #4 in payroll.

Regardless, Astros keep producing great players in the minors, seem to draft really well. Losing Verlander will help the payroll. Correa to Twins and we replace with him with even better ss.

I did, you didn't seem to like it.
Star tribune circulation is down. Likely because the quality of reporting for the money is better elsewhere

So no, this doesn’t game them readers in the long term. At least it isn’t

You saying “it gets clicks” doesn’t make it true

Star tribune circulation is down. Likely because the quality of reporting for the money is better elsewhere

So no, this doesn’t game them readers in the long term. At least it isn’t

You saying “it gets clicks” doesn’t make it true
This came from his Twitter account so not sure how germain bringing in the Strib is for this discussion.

This came from his Twitter account so not sure how germain bringing in the Strib is for this discussion.
It was literally the question I asked that you “answered”

I said that’s fine you don’t have to answer if you don’t think it’s germane

Regardless, Astros keep producing great players in the minors, seem to draft really well. Losing Verlander will help the payroll. Correa to Twins and we replace with him with even better ss.
No doubt the Astros have done a lot with in-house talent. But they are still one of the biggest spenders as well which it makes it possible for them to keep that in house talent as well as add pieces around them.

It was literally the question I asked that you “answered”

I said that’s fine you don’t have to answer if you don’t think it’s germane
Meant his twitter account gets clicks.

A little late to this but, it's true today and has been true for a long time that the Blue Bloods are going to recruit the 4 and 5 stars.

Reusse could do the same thing with basketball and compare the stars of Gopher recruits against teams like Kansas, North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky.

The reverse is true with the Gophers in hockey, with Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota, Denver, Boston College and Boston University being able to recruit at a high level. Just the reality of college athletics and it's been that way for a while.

Meant his twitter account gets clicks.
His Twitter account makes him no money directly. So that doesn’t really matter to the question I asked

It’s fine, you don’t have the answer the question.
I’m sure his Twitter account clicks gets him increasing reads at the star tribune and great ratings at 1500

His Twitter account makes him no money directly. So that doesn’t really matter to the question I asked

It’s fine, you don’t have the answer the question.
I’m sure his Twitter account clicks gets him increasing reads at the star tribune and great ratings at 1500

His Twitter account will link to posted columns, so I am sure there is some traffic generated there. He has not had a live show on 1500 since 2018, thus there are no ratings to impact.

He does have multiple podcasts on SKOR North which is part of Hubbard and also owns 1500.

His Twitter account will link to posted columns, so I am sure there is some traffic generated there. He has not had a live show on 1500 since 2018, thus there are no ratings to impact.

He does have multiple podcasts on SKOR North which is part of Hubbard and also owns 1500.
And I’m sure his readership and listeners are up with hot takes like “the sports I cover are shit products”

People pay to read the Star Tribune in order to get access to Reusse's takes on college football?

Good lord, no. Not a single person who pays for the STrib and then actually takes time to read his column, is doing so for college football coverage.

A little late to this but, it's true today and has been true for a long time that the Blue Bloods are going to recruit the 4 and 5 stars.

Reusse could do the same thing with basketball and compare the stars of Gopher recruits against teams like Kansas, North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky.

The reverse is true with the Gophers in hockey, with Minnesota, Michigan, North Dakota, Denver, Boston College and Boston University being able to recruit at a high level. Just the reality of college athletics and it's been that way for a while.
True, that it is pretty ubiquitous in college sports.

But at least among the major ones, I feel like winning in football is far more dependent on them than in other sports.

In basketball, you can be a team of nobody recruits and come from nowhere to have a nice run in March Madness. Much less likely to happen in football.

People pay to read the Star Tribune in order to get access to Reusse's takes on college football?

Good lord, no. Not a single person who pays for the STrib and then actually takes time to read his column, is doing so for college football coverage.
Thanks for agreeing with my point

Agree that a non-college sports beat writer's one-off opinion piece will have absolutely zero effect on their readership, one way or the other.

Agree that a non-college sports beat writer's one-off opinion piece will have absolutely zero effect on their readership, one way or the other.
That’s not a very good employee to spend money on then

The college football/MLB comparison isn't perfect but check out this story from 2019. 24 of the last 25 world series champions at that point had a payroll in the top half of the league and many were up near the top.

I fully agree that there is more parity in Baseball then there is in college football but the fact remains that most of the power is consolidated around a handful of top level teams and more often than not those top level teams are going to be in the mix for the title even if they don't always win it.
Just trolling the thread. The ability to sustain the monetary portion of winning is what separates the teams. I don't think it's possible a team like the A's who continue to compete and over achieve in the regular season. Can they ever beat the team with the high payed players in a seven game series?

I mean its not breaking news, but I did not take it as a shot at MN in any way shape or form...

He also stated verbally on his podcast that it was not intended as a shot at Fleck or the Gophers, just an indication as to how out of balance it is in college football (at all levels).

I see two factors aligning here.

1. many of the best players want to go to the best programs. a team that is top-10 every year has a built-in recruiting advantage.

2. NIL. the most successful programs are more likely to have boosters who will fund NIL efforts - which also provides a recruiting advantage.

can't do a lot about #1. but #2 could be addressed by Congress if they could pass national legislation putting new guidelines in place. of course, with the current alignment in DC, the odds of that happening are about the same as the odds of me winning the Mega-Millions jackpot tonight.

Top Bottom