Reusse looks at star ratings for Georgia, OSU, Bama, Gophs: "Not intended as shot at Gophs; just numbers showing why college FB sucks."

Go Gophers!!
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

That mathematical "stars" dominance exists for about 8-10 teams. Pretty much the same 8-10 every year, of course--although a new one moves in occasionally. That is why college football, when played among 120 of the 131 FBS teams, is actually kind of great and normally fairly competitive. The balance of situations makes for some David vs. Goliath games that can get interesting sometimes. But it is very difficult to change the top of the college recruiting hierarchy. You just live with it and try to improve your own standing in your own sphere.

Miami is going to be an interesting one to watch over the next several years if you believe in the star system. They are bringing in a great class and kicking portal transfers from extremely highly rated guys. Will they get back to where they were or be another Texas A&M when it comes to stars actually panning out?

Hold up.....so Reusse is blowing the lid off the fact that places like Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia get the best players every year.....did anyone else know this was what was going on in college football.....shocking. :). This is almost a Shooter level tweet, Reusse should be ashamed of himself.

Oh and I call BS on the not intending it to be a shot at the Gophers. He didn't have to include the U in the Tweet. He could have just lumped us in with the vast majority of teams that can't recruit at the level of the top handful of schools because there are way more that can't then those that can.

Hold up.....so Reusse is blowing the lid off the fact that places like Ohio State, Alabama and Georgia get the best players every year.....did anyone else know this was what was going on in college football.....shocking. :). This is almost a Shooter level tweet, Reusse should be ashamed of himself.

Oh and I call BS on the not intending it to be a shot at the Gophers. He didn't have to include the U in the Tweet. He could have just lumped us in with the vast majority of teams that can't recruit at the level of the top handful of schools because there are way more that can't then those that can.
I don't think it was intended as a shot. It's consistent with what he has been saying about college football, with the imbalance becoming even greater than it used to be. He was just providing some context for the majority of his followers. If it was intended as a shot, he would have just put the Gophers there. I think it actually demonstrates the challenge the Gophs and others face, which the majority of casual fans don't ever seem to get. People here are way too sensitive to Reusse's comments, which usually aren't really that out of line.

Wow! I had no idea. This dude should go national with this kind of ground breaking news.

In case you didn’t know, that was sarcasm. Everyone knows those teams get nearly every player they want. I found it interesting that he conveniently left out TCU as well as our two biggest rivals in Wisconsin and Iowa. Almost like he intended it that way. Huh.

College football is essentially MLB baseball. All the power and money is concentrated on a small number of teams. Other teams can jump up and contend from time to time but the big spenders are almost always going to be in the mix because they have the best overall talent.

College football is worshiped in, and dominated by the deep south. Correspondingly, their NFL teams aren't as good (notable exception of the Saints, and then of course short lived runs, and Miami is not the deep south).

Ohio is also like this. Bengals getting better, Browns stuck. Michigan as well, Lions suck but getting better.

Texas/Oklahoma has the Cowboys and OU, they pour dumptrucks of money into UT and TAMU but still waiting there.

The rest of the country prefers the NFL, and their NFL teams tend to be better.

By no means a perfect correlation. But it is interesting how it is.

Every level of college football is now comprised of half a dozen teams (or less) that are truly relevant nationally and then everyone else. It's been that way in top D1 for decades now, but the consolidation of conferences, conference championship games, and the playoffs have further reduced the likelihood of an "everyone else" striking lightning in a bottle and claiming a top title; either conference or national. TCU was Icarus and came too close to the sun yesterday.

The days of a non-elite team playing 7 or 8 conference games, getting lucky, then sharing a co-title are totally gone.

People joke about how irrelevant the BG10 West is nationally (which is true) but I'll miss it. The regional rivalries are fun and create a level of competition for all its teams, not just the extreme half dozen top tier of national teams. I feel a little sorry for teams like Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers that have no realistic shot at winning even a divisional title. We'll see how re-alignment plays out.

I love the atmosphere of the Gophers more than the Vikings.

but the Vikings have an equal chance, as does everyone else in the NFL. If you screw it up, it's your own fault.

Not true for college football.

It's why I'll take the NFL over college football all day and all night.

Every level of college football is now comprised of half a dozen teams (or less) that are truly relevant nationally and then everyone else. It's been that way in top D1 for decades now, but the consolidation of conferences, conference championship games, and the playoffs have further reduced the likelihood of an "everyone else" striking lightning in a bottle and claiming a top title; either conference or national. TCU was Icarus and came too close to the sun yesterday.

The days of a non-elite team playing 7 or 8 conference games, getting lucky, then sharing a co-title are totally gone.

People joke about how irrelevant the BG10 West is nationally (which is true) but I'll miss it. The regional rivalries are fun and create a level of competition for all its teams, not just the extreme half dozen top tier of national teams. I feel a little sorry for teams like Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers that have no realistic shot at winning even a divisional title. We'll see how re-alignment plays out.
This is all true.

The big ten should go to 10 conference games. No conference championship and let the gophers get a co championship by luck of the draw like 2000 Purdue, 2000 northwestern, 2003 Iowa, etc

You nailed it. Super conferences are terrible for the sport.

It’s why the casual fan who prefers mega conferences and expanded playoffs don’t really get college football (in my biased opinion).

What makes (made) college football great was that every team had important rivals throughout the season. I’ve rarely cheered harder than I did when the Gophers beat Iowa in a “meaningless” game a few years back. The importance of every regular season game is what mattered. The fact that Georgia or Bama would kill us didn’t matter. Now that they want everything to kind of feel like one big league, it kind of does. That’s not good for college football (imo).

College Football is great; the thrill of beating your rival is as good as it gets. The memory of pulling that upset against a #1 or #2 team is never forgotten.

But I think his point is fair: The realistic # of programs that can win a national title is about 6 or 7. There's no reason the Gophers can't do what TCU did, which is make a playoff, and perhaps even win a game. But to win consecutive games against 2 bluebloods that recruit at that top 3-5 recruiting ranking level, the chances are pretty much zero. The same thing that happened to TCU last night would have happened to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa. I don't even think Michigan is at that level. Right now, it's Georgia/Alabama/Ohio State, with LSU/USC/Texas & a small few SEC programs when they have the right coach (FL/TN) as ones that can once in a while flirt with them. I think even Clemson has left the group, and they won a title 4 years ago.

It doesn't mean those top teams can't be beaten by the little others. Georgia almost lost to Missouri this year. But consecutive wins...the title team list is small.

Wait a minute, I cry foul. We have 2 4 * recruits this year. If your going to take a shot, make sure your aim is correct.

Wait a minute, I cry foul. We have 2 4 * recruits this year. If your going to take a shot, make sure your aim is correct.

Yup. 247 has two 4-star recruits plus a third as transfer. I think he might have been referring to Rivals which only has 1 4-star. But Rivals has Minnesota at #34 nationally. Who knows?

Yup. 247 has two 4-star recruits plus a third as transfer. I think he might have been referring to Rivals which only has 1 4-star. But Rivals has Minnesota at #34 nationally. Who knows?
Diabetes can impact vision. From the looks of him, this might be the issue.

It's ALWAYS intended to be a shot at the Gophers.....
I don't see it that way and he needn't have even issued that disclaimer. The haves get most of the 4-5 star recruits and the rest of D1 get the few who don't fit the needs of the haves. One way to bring a little parity to college FB: Reduce roster size limits for suiting up. Didn't the NFL once play with 40-man rosters ? That sounds like a good number to me.

Can we rise above ad hominem slurs?
I don't know if what I said is technically an ad hominem slur but I might be wrong.

I thought it would be ad hominem if I was saying Reusse's stance was stupid because he's fat. I'm not saying Reusse's morbid obesity is the reason why he's dumb. I'm just saying he's stupid AND fat.

As far as rising above them, I'm not quite ready yet.

Top Bottom