Reusse: Gophers should be in market for transfer QB. The redshirt freshman needs to win job, not have it handed to him.

I’m afraid we are going to find ourselves outgunned ($) when it comes to transfers this off-season.

I wonder if rumors of coaches looking at the portal start that will prompt incumbent players to do the same. I believe it was last year Penn State came to find out they had nothing on the shelf when their starting QB went down. Their QB room had essentially all transferred out. Led directly to a loss at Iowa and knock-on effects in West race.

It’s a brave new world.

The lone TD drive, we threw the ball for 61 yards.

It's Athan's fault that we made the conscious decision to hand the ball off almost every play, after that??

It's Athan's fault that our long drive when we suddenly had a 3rd & 7 and he actually had to pass, he wasn't in any kind of rhythm??

And the ball was catchable. Brockington would've caught it. Iowa CB played it perfectly.

Ruesse trolling for clicks, per usual.

I don't think so. It's a reasonable and seemingly honest statement. I just think we have higher recruiting priorities.
Not reasonable or honest -- what actual thing did Athan do wrong, with the awful cards he was dealt by the coaching staff??

According to Scoggins, only 5 D1 schools pass less often than the Gophers this season: the three service academies, New Mexico, and the fighting Jerry Kills at New Mexico State.

So, pretty much the same as last year and seemingly more so since Tanner's injury.

Minnesota should see if they can poach a really good RB from a school that doesn't run it so much.

This setup is a Heisman-maker for the right guy at the right time.

Not reasonable or honest -- what actual thing did Athan do wrong, with the awful cards he was dealt by the coaching staff??

I don't interpret that statement as a severe criticism of Athan. I take the statement at face value. He just doesn't think Athan should be guaranteed the job unless he he makes a reasonably clear case, through competition in camp, that he's the best person to be the starter. Not an unreasonable statement at all. Illinois wouldn't have been as good this year if they didn't bring in Tommy DeVito. We've brought in numerous transfers who have claimed starting positions. There's no particular reason why the QB position should be exempt from that. Having said that, my belief is that Fleck & Company will concentrate on other needs in transfer recruiting.

I don't interpret that statement as a severe criticism of Athan. I take the statement at face value. He just doesn't think Athan should be guaranteed the job unless he he makes a reasonably clear case, through competition in camp, that he's the best person to be the starter. Not an unreasonable statement at all. Illinois wouldn't have been as good this year if they didn't bring in Tommy DeVito. We've brought in numerous transfers who have claimed starting positions. There's no particular reason why the QB position should be exempt from that. Having said that, my belief is that Fleck & Company will concentrate on other needs in transfer recruiting.
They brought in DeVito because they had a guy who was a known quantity.

AK's quantity is not known.

It won't be a terrible move to bring in another QB -- here I'm assuming that Kramer is out, then. So yes, we probably don't want the true freshman from South Dakota to be our #2 backup.

So if Kramer leaves, then they probably have to anyway.

I think the obvious question has to be asked, is this current group of WR's really THAT bad? I'm afraid the answer probably is a resounding and emphatic YES.

There is nothing special about any of the WR's that we saw take the field this year for the most part; yikes, I shudder to think how some of those earlier games may have gone with no CrAB on the field.

This is a problem going forward, a BIG problem.

I think the obvious question has to be asked, is this current group of WR's really THAT bad? I'm afraid the answer probably is a resounding and emphatic YES.

There is nothing special about any of the WR's that we saw take the field this year for the most part; yikes, I shudder to think how some of those earlier games may have gone with no CrAB on the field.

This is a problem going forward, a BIG problem.
This.

Brockington did have a nice play or two from my memory, also Jackson.

Sadly we don't throw to BSF very much, even though he's an NFL talent, in perhaps everything other than pure catching ability.

They brought in DeVito because they had a guy who was a known quantity.

AK's quantity is not known.

It won't be a terrible move to bring in another QB -- here I'm assuming that Kramer is out, then. So yes, we probably don't want the true freshman from South Dakota to be our #2 backup.

So if Kramer leaves, then they probably have to anyway.
Kramer is not going anywhere. In my opinion. He’s got a good gig here and anywhere he transferred to there is no no great chance that he starts. The South Dakota kid will be a redshirt freshman. He will be fine as will number eight. We need OL depth and high end wide receivers. I’d be more worried about our current quarterback room, transferring out along with whatever wide receiver talent we currently have. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to play quarterback, or wide receiver for PJ.

A QB needs receivers to occasionally get open, we do not have that right now.
This is partly on the receivers, no doubt, but it is equally on the OC whose offensive scheme is so simplistic and predictable, and whose excessive predilection for running essentially prevents the QB and receivers from getting into a rhythm during a game … and prevents receivers from developing their receiving skills over the course of a season. Use it or lose it.

Kramer is not going anywhere. In my opinion. He’s got a good gig here and anywhere he transferred to there is no no great chance that he starts. The South Dakota kid will be a redshirt freshman. He will be fine as will number eight. We need OL depth and high end wide receivers. I’d be more worried about our current quarterback room, transferring out along with whatever wide receiver talent we currently have. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to play quarterback, or wide receiver for PJ.
My bad, redshirt Freshman. Then he needs to be ready to be the backup, and I assume will be.

Why isn't the competition between those two, good enough then? I think it is

Fleck and Simon both played WR in FBS level. That they missed on receivers so much, that is quite concerning.

The lone TD drive, we threw the ball for 61 yards.

It's Athan's fault that we made the conscious decision to hand the ball off almost every play, after that??

It's Athan's fault that our long drive when we suddenly had a 3rd & 7 and he actually had to pass, he wasn't in any kind of rhythm??

And the ball was catchable. Brockington would've caught it. Iowa CB played it perfectly.

Ruesse trolling for clicks, per usual.
Fleck said the ball went to the wrong side of the field. Wrong receiver. Young QB error likely. The narrative of this game is completely different if we don’t miss a FG, fumble, and throw the pick. If we win all the talk is about the great OL and running back.

However all four losses are due to the same issue and here we sit.

Top Bottom