Reusse: Forgettable Gophers football season ends with victory in Basement Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Pat:

(The Star Tribune did not send the writer of this article to the game in Detroit. The writer is grateful for that.)

The avalanche of bowl games that has made it more difficult for an FBS team to miss one (38%) than to make one (62%) has led to a tradition for college football reporters at various outlets.

When the opponents for these games are announced in early December, the experts will rate the appeal of the 41 bowl matchups, starting with the College Football Playoff semifinals — this time the Rose Bowl (Alabama vs. Michigan) and Sugar Bowl (Texas vs. Washington) on New Year's Day.

Tuesday's Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit had the advantage in derision by hosting the Gophers as the only losing team among the 82; invited not on strength of their performance but on their tutorship.

Go Gophers!!

Per Pat:

(The Star Tribune did not send the writer of this article to the game in Detroit. The writer is grateful for that.)

The avalanche of bowl games that has made it more difficult for an FBS team to miss one (38%) than to make one (62%) has led to a tradition for college football reporters at various outlets.

When the opponents for these games are announced in early December, the experts will rate the appeal of the 41 bowl matchups, starting with the College Football Playoff semifinals — this time the Rose Bowl (Alabama vs. Michigan) and Sugar Bowl (Texas vs. Washington) on New Year's Day.

Tuesday's Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit had the advantage in derision by hosting the Gophers as the only losing team among the 82; invited not on strength of their performance but on their tutorship.

Go Gophers!!
I'll wager that the gamer was more entertaining than his column. Wouldn't know though. Didn't read it.

He knows Bleed will do him the favor of posting the troll article, and it will get a minimum of three pages of defensive posts.

As sure as the sun rises

Patrick Reusse...

A truly talented writer who descended from being a sports journalist to a loser who makes his bones by trolling. He's a symbol of the devolution of American sports.

He is a symbol of where this all is heading.
The sad part is that, like you said, Reusse is an exceptionally talented writer. He just chooses to use his talents for nothing good these days.

Per Pat:

Go Gophers!!
I love the ending:

It must be admitted that a few of us will best remember this failed Gophers season with the bootleg video of Illinois coach Bret Bielema, a large fellow, charging toward his players in a raucous winning locker room and offering a Fleck pantomime, as if he was going to crowd surf his athletes.

So funny it made you nostalgic for John Candy.

:LOL:

The sad part is that, like you said, Reusse is an exceptionally talented writer. He just chooses to use his talents for nothing good these days.
True. In his heyday, Reusse was excellent and had great takes. Tweaking the homers (especially the deluded ones) has always been his specialty and he's good at it. He's slowed down and like a lot of us in this age demographic, he's not what he once was. Add to that, I think the internet era and the devolution of sports talk has made his takes more easily ignored.

I've always enjoyed Reusse's writing. As many have noted, he is a talented writer. He has the luxury of having already lived his career and can now sit back and, for whatever his reasons, lob grenades in any direction he pleases. No doubt, at his age, he questions his relevance. He's a throwback to a wild west era of sports writing that was filled with characters. Now, he's living in and still working in, a PC era and the characters have been replaced with cliches.

A lot of sports journalists (if you can call it that anymore) also have an inflated sense of self importance and want to make themselves the story, not the athletes. See, for instance, all the sideline reporters chiming in about the recent controversy over making up quotes, and yammering on about how hard they work as journalists, the integrity issues, etc. Come on, its a trivial gig collecting a few cliches and reporting on them for 40 seconds per game. Everyone wants to feel that their work is important but sports journalism is all trivial, really nothing more than entertainment. The entertainment might mean more to you than to me, but in the end, its still trivial entertainment.

I'm not sure why Gopher football is Reusse's primary target. I think part of it is that he dislikes football in general. It's displaced his primary love, baseball, as the nation's favorite sport. The Vikings and the NFL get their fair share of his vitriol. But I think he really hates PJ. PJ isn't my cup of tea either but what a weird pettiness. Reusse hates the Wilfs, too, but PJ is far and away his least favorite Minnesota sports personality. But his dislike of the FB program predates PJ. Somewhere in the past there is a slight by the U football program that Reusse hasn't acknowledged or forgotten.

It's too bad that he chooses to fade into his twilight as the journalistic equivalent of a pro wrestling heel.

Jack Minds, an epic coach name on many levels.

Reusse mirrors his demographic, cynical burned out sports fans pining for the old days, and better teams. Tough sledding for MN fans. Tough reading for the ultra-homer demographic and nothing makes him cackle more than eliciting reactions. As with all things if there weren’t a grain of truth to his columns Reusse would have been booted decades ago.

Jack Minds, an epic coach name on many levels.

Reusse mirrors his demographic, cynical burned out sports fans pining for the old days, and better teams. Tough sledding for MN fans. Tough reading for the ultra-homer demographic and nothing makes him cackle more than eliciting reactions. As with all things if there weren’t a grain of truth to his columns Reusse would have been booted decades ago.
I kind of despise this line of thinking. So we have a morbidly obese shut-in who says stupid shit, but he somehow "wins" if you comment on his obesity or disagree with the shit he says?

As to your last point, well yeah. Do you think anyone here watched a 5-7 Gopher team play Bowling Green at noon on a workday and thought we weren't playing in a terrible bowl? Does he think any Gopher fan thought this was a memorable season? Of course not. There isn't some realization that deep down there might be a glimmer of truth to what he is saying. He said the obvious to troll people, which is fine. However, it also means the response isn't going to be some kind of debate or discourse into the merits of his argument - he's trolling. Unfortunately for him, he's not anonymous, so pointing to his faulures in real life is really the best way to combat trolls.

So he writes articles to troll a fan base and we respond by pointing out that he lives his life in compression socks fantasizing about his next meal while shoving his face full of fast food.

I kind of despise this line of thinking. So we have a morbidly obese shut-in who says stupid shit, but he somehow "wins" if you comment on his obesity or disagree with the shit he says?
Maybe not so "morbidly obese" since he still working at age 78 (which is already past the US life span) with a signed contract to work until age 80 while still podcasting on SKOR North.

Get's out and about to lots of sporting events for a shut-in, so that seems like a mischaracterization as well.

As to your last point, well yeah. Do you think anyone here watched a 5-7 Gopher team play Bowling Green at noon on a workday and thought we weren't playing in a terrible bowl? Does he think any Gopher fan thought this was a memorable season? Of course not. There isn't some realization that deep down there might be a glimmer of truth to what he is saying. He said the obvious to troll people, which is fine. However, it also means the response isn't going to be some kind of debate or discourse into the merits of his argument - he's trolling. Unfortunately for him, he's not anonymous, so pointing to his faulures in real life is really the best way to combat trolls.

So he writes articles to troll a fan base and we respond by pointing out that he lives his life in compression socks fantasizing about his next meal while shoving his face full of fast food.

Yes.

This is sports entertainment. I don’t expect everyone here to agree with me or my hot takes either. People like Reusse don’t care about our opinions and TBH many people will agree with him.

Top Bottom