Reusse: Fairness dictates one more year for Brewster

Wow. I can't believe this, but I can't really argue with any of that.

Well, I'd argue he should get two more years, at least.

edited partial quote from AM1500 website: Fairness dictates one more year for Brewste

Edit: Sorry, Bronko, but the article is copyrighted and can't be quoted in its entirety. Under the "fair use" doctrine, excerpts can be directly quoted provided that they meet the test of being excerpts and not "substantially" identical to the original.

From AM1500 website: Fairness dictates one more year for Brewster - 12/18/09

The shots Souhan took at Brewster left the impression that Maturi's wisest course would be Option A (a firing). Here are a couple of admissions from me:

One, I'll never have any time for Brewster, because he's way too full of hogwash; and two, I don't think Brewster or any other coach should be fired three seasons into a five-year contract.

...Brewster has turned out to be less effective as a preparer of a football team than his predecessor, Glen Mason. There's no evidence that those extra stars he has attracted with his recruiting classes will result in anything more than mediocre football. And the rhetoric grows more stale by the sentence even with large numbers of original Brewster believers.

Maturi's decision to stay with Brewster and his 6-18 Big Ten record in three years isn't based on saving money. There are boosters that have turned on Brewster and could raise the $800,000 buyout with three phone calls.

The athletic director is alleged to also have serious doubts about Brewster, but what Maturi is doing here is giving into his notion of fairness:

Bull-slinger and sideline blunderer that Brewster has proved to be, Maturi believes that a coach deserves at least four years - and that's why Coach Brew will have the chance to be around next fall.

I'm not going to read this. And I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that all this article is likely doing is setting mines, I'm sticking my neck out because I haven't and won't read it. But I feel comfortable in doing it because this is what Ruesse has done since he decided to hate Brewster within minutes of his arrival. He knows he's lost out on his bid to run Brewster out of town this year and is now setting the trap for next year.

He'll now lay out his criteria for what constitutes success in a manner that will feed into our hopes, using our own homerism to get buy in. Much like he did with his we must win all three games in the NW, Wis, Pur, stretch this year. Any mathematician could have easily pointed out that unlikely outcome. A sucker bet if ever there was one, and many many people adopted that mantra.

This will be no different. Let's be clear here, if Vegas set preliminary odds for each of our games next year we'd be favored in only half at best. This is the reality in Ruesse's favor. His job in his never ending request to run Brewster out of town is simple, paint a picture of expectations far above that, get buy in, and wait.

He lives for this type of scheming. This article is not a concession, it's a well laid mine, a trap.

I'm not going to read this. And I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that all this article is likely doing is setting mines, I'm sticking my neck out because I haven't and won't read it. But I feel comfortable in doing it because this is what Ruesse has done since he decided to hate Brewster within minutes of his arrival. He knows he's lost out on his bid to run Brewster out of town this year and is now setting the trap for next year.

He'll now lay out his criteria for what constitutes success in a manner that will feed into our hopes, using our own homerism to get buy in. Much like he did with his we must win all three games in the NW, Wis, Pur, stretch this year. Any mathematician could have easily pointed out that unlikely outcome. A sucker bet if ever there was one, and many many people adopted that mantra.

This will be no different. Let's be clear here, if Vegas set preliminary odds for each of our games next year we'd be favored in only half at best. This is the reality in Ruesse's favor. His job in his never ending request to run Brewster out of town is simple, paint a picture of expectations far above that, get buy in, and wait.

He lives for this type of scheming. This article is not a concession, it's a well laid mine, a trap.[/QUOTE]

ding, ding, ding

alot better by fat pat. i would also argue that brew should be here atleast two more years. look at next years schedule. if we go 6-6 next year it should be considered a success. now if we go 6-6 the following year then i think it might be time for a change

He lives for this type of scheming. This article is not a concession, it's a well laid mine, a trap.

ding, ding, ding

2 years, no ifs ands or buts, or 2 years with stipulations that next year some progress needs to be shown?

2 years barring an awful season, which I will call a 3-9 season or worse. I do want to see progress, but will be lenient in my definition of progress. Five years gives him four full recruiting classes, meaning he'll have fourth year juniors and seniors on the field.

Have to say, I didn't think the words "Brewster" and "fairness" would ever be paired by Reusse in any article, column, blogpost, or spoken sentence. I guess it really does just show that anything can happen. ;)

From AM1500 website: Fairness dictates one more year for Brewster - 12/18/09

I understand the object is to get hits, but good gawd almighty, that was taking a three-second aside and putting this old smart aleck in a very low-class situation. And let's face it - no matter what my critics have to say, they always admit I'm a classy fellow.

One, I'll never have any time for Brewster, because he's way too full of hogwash; and two, I don't think Brewster or any other coach should be fired three seasons into a five-year contract.

1. A classy fellow? You've got to be kidding!!!!

2. Full of hogwash? See dictionary for "Pot calling Kettle Black".

How the hell does that piece of $hit still have a job???

Backhanded compliment

Ever hear of a backhanded compliment ???? It is just like saying to Pat, " If you were not so over-weight you would look good in that swimming suit."

"I've been dedicated to making light of Brewster from the moment that he uttered "Gopher Nation'' at his introductory news conference".

So Brewster gets crap for (allegedly) calling him "Fat" Pat on his Twitter account some two years in to Reusse's dedicated attempt to make light of him?

What am I missing here? This program needed some positivity and Brewster tried to bring it here. Gopher Nation was/is an attempt to get the large number of alumni, students, and fans to come together and support Gopher Football (and Gopher athletics in general). Reusse just admitted he never gave Brewster a chance.

Agree - new coaches need five years, This coach is a first time head coach so five is all the more necessary. Nevertheless, how could he and the other coaches sit there and watch the no-go Gopher offense for three straight games and make no personnel changes? What we see in the bowl game could set the tone for public response next year. I hope we see something on offense!

Agree - new coaches need five years, This coach is a first time head coach so five is all the more necessary. Nevertheless, how could he and the other coaches sit there and watch the no-go Gopher offense for three straight games and make no personnel changes? What we see in the bowl game could set the tone for public response next year. I hope we see something on offense!

Maybe the alternatives aren't as good as we'd like believe. or maybe the solution is more experience which wouldn't be solved by personnel changes. We're a bit stuck by the hand that we're dealt in college football. The changes come slowly, one class at a time. It's the pain of it all.

alot better by fat pat. i would also argue that brew should be here atleast two more years. look at next years schedule. if we go 6-6 next year it should be considered a success. now if we go 6-6 the following year then i think it might be time for a change

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding, or there is TRULY no hope for this program.

If you cut through everything, the reason that Mason was fired was because the Minnesota fan base had collectively decided that mediocrity was NOT good enough. The awful blown wins (MI, WI, TT) spawned the vitriol against Mason, but at the end of the day he was gone because people were tired of mediocrity. That in part is why people are losing faith in Brewster. Yet here you are saying that .500 in his FOURTH YEAR will be a success.

The perception when Brewster came on board was that Mason had lifted the program off of the lows of the nineties but it was time someone with fresh blood and a killer instinct took over from Mason's blandness(although 2007 was gonna be rough for any coach). To take the team to the NEXT LEVEL. Basically, the perception was that Mason wasn't a champion at heart, and we needed a champ (or given our budget, someone that REALLY wanted and believed they could be a champ). Voila, the big-talking, big-recruiting Brewster. No one with any brains thought Mason was an awful coach, they just didn't think that after 10 years he could ever be a REALLY GOOD one.

If Maturi had said at Brewster's signing that we could look forward to a successful 6-6 season in 2010, because we were gonna have a tough schedule that year, he would have been burned alive. And rightly so. Remember, the goal isn't to be competitive against WI, IA and perennially lose to the OH & PSU's of the world. It's to be as good or BETTER than WI, IA and be competitive when playing OH and PSU. That's how IA and WI (and even NW this year) put up 8, 9, and even 10 win seasons.

Ask yourself, when Brewster was hired did you think to yourself with satisfaction that you could look forward to .500 seasons in 2009 and 2010? Really? I supported the firing of Mason, but if the goal was simply to attain/maintain a .500 record by 2010 we really should have kept him I guess.

The reason Mason was fired wasn't because he was having mediocre results. It's because he was having mediocre results and the program was not improving thus indicating that it would continue having mediocre results. There is a huge difference.

Results follow and trail inputs. First we sow, then we reap. First we invest then we profit. The key factor in each analogy/metaphor is time. There is a lag. The question isn't if we're having mediorcre results now, but if the program is making the inputs that suggest that the investment will yeild profit aka better results. It takes more analysis than whining about stats and records to answer the question.

People like Ruesse are using your ignorance to fuel their campaign. He knows he has that time factor, that lag, for which to profit. He relies on low level analysis to get hits, and keep him relevent.

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you are kidding, or there is TRULY no hope for this program.

If you cut through everything, the reason that Mason was fired was because the Minnesota fan base had collectively decided that mediocrity was NOT good enough. The awful blown wins (MI, WI, TT) spawned the vitriol against Mason, but at the end of the day he was gone because people were tired of mediocrity. That in part is why people are losing faith in Brewster. Yet here you are saying that .500 in his FOURTH YEAR will be a success.

The perception when Brewster came on board was that Mason had lifted the program off of the lows of the nineties but it was time someone with fresh blood and a killer instinct took over from Mason's blandness(although 2007 was gonna be rough for any coach). To take the team to the NEXT LEVEL. Basically, the perception was that Mason wasn't a champion at heart, and we needed a champ (or given our budget, someone that REALLY wanted and believed they could be a champ). Voila, the big-talking, big-recruiting Brewster. No one with any brains thought Mason was an awful coach, they just didn't think that after 10 years he could ever be a REALLY GOOD one.

If Maturi had said at Brewster's signing that we could look forward to a successful 6-6 season in 2010, because we were gonna have a tough schedule that year, he would have been burned alive. And rightly so. Remember, the goal isn't to be competitive against WI, IA and perennially lose to the OH & PSU's of the world. It's to be as good or BETTER than WI, IA and be competitive when playing OH and PSU. That's how IA and WI (and even NW this year) put up 8, 9, and even 10 win seasons.

Ask yourself, when Brewster was hired did you think to yourself with satisfaction that you could look forward to .500 seasons in 2009 and 2010? Really? I supported the firing of Mason, but if the goal was simply to attain/maintain a .500 record by 2010 we really should have kept him I guess.

Right on Potato! Unfortunately, 6-6 three years later is progress for most of these blokes...

2 years, no ifs ands or buts, or 2 years with stipulations that next year some progress needs to be shown?

If improvement is shown I would agree with you. If they go a string of games without an offensive touchdown like this year, then I am not so sure.

The reason Mason was fired wasn't because he was having mediocre results. It's because he was having mediocre results and the program was not improving thus indicating that it would continue having mediocre results. There is a huge difference.

Results follow and trail inputs. First we sow, then we reap. First we invest then we profit. The key factor in each analogy/metaphor is time. There is a lag. The question isn't if we're having mediorcre results now, but if the program is making the inputs that suggest that the investment will yeild profit aka better results. It takes more analysis than whining about stats and records to answer the question.

People like Ruesse are using your ignorance to fuel their campaign. He knows he has that time factor, that lag, for which to profit. He relies on low level analysis to get hits, and keep him relevent.

I would argue that Brewster is preying on your ignorance and others of your ilk. You write of inputs and outputs and that it takes a deeper more thorough analysis to truly understand this football program. I am not whining about stats or records in absence of other facts. Game management is one area where Brewster is absolutely rippable and it doesn't take much analysis to reach this conclusion.

Go Gopher Nation!

Exactly. Why is mediocrity acceptable with Brewster?

Morbidly Obese

Isn't it time for StarTrib Fat Boy to have some serious health problems due to his extreme body mass index?

He certainly deserves it with the evil he has tried to spread on various people in the world of sports over the years including Brewster!

Sooner or later, there's some bad Karma coming for Fatrick!

Exactly. Why is mediocrity acceptable with Brewster?
It's not. If you think even the biggest homer in this fanbase would like to keep Brewster around for 10 years if he doesn't get the team to a NYD bowl, you're nuts.

6-6

If the Gophers go 6-6 next year then Brewster needs to be fired. I see the same thing happening here that I saw with Mase. We are starting to give to many excuses for Brewster like we did for Mase. Minnesota nice is coming out too much on Gopherhole. Next year if this team is fading at the end of the season like they did these last two years, then it's time to find a new football coach.

One of the better posts I have read in a long time. I like Brewster much better than Mason and hope he succeeds, but he has to show progress next year. I really don't understand how anyone could suggest 6-6 would be acceptable in year 4. There's a difference between asking for a conference title in year 4 and asking for a .500 conference record.

What if we played texas in 12 straight games? We're not rolling dice. These are real teams we're playing, at least half of which are better than us. 6-6 is just a number if you don't consider the context. Find 7 teams in next years schedule you think vegas would pick us in.

Isn't it time for StarTrib Fat Boy to have some serious health problems due to his extreme body mass index?

He certainly deserves it with the evil he has tried to spread on various people in the world of sports over the years including Brewster!

Little harsh, wouldn't you say? Nothing like wishing ill will due to a general dislike.

Top Bottom