Reusse column: First glimpse of Richard Pitino's Gophers is a much-improved outfit

Disagree with the last part. When this staff got here, Mo Walker was an over weight one trick pony. I would say they developed him into a solid Big Ten level player. Also, Dupree has developed very well so far. I would also argue that Konate has developed. He seems much more comfortable and effective. That doesn't mean he is a starting Big Ten center, but that may have never been his ceiling.

Yep. Dupree is developing right before our eyes. I'm really excited about his potential.

I know we were happy to get Konate, but not good he hasn't developed to be at least a good defensive player worthy of 20 mins a game. I see Anas Mahmoud, who Rick Pitino chose over Konate is contributing off of the bench. So looks like we were on the wrong side of that.

And I think Diedhou is perfect of example of banking a scholarship if a big ten player isn't available and not taking a chance. I know there are solid examples of developing players (Damian Johnson, Miles Tarver, etc.), but this staff hasn't shown the ability to develop players, especially big men.
Lol

it's really interesting you chose Damian Johnson as an example here. One could argue he didn't improve but instead just got more playing time. Check out his career stats next to each other on sports reference.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/damian-johnson-1.html

I'll argue that very few players actually improve in college vs. just getting an opportunity on the court.

Edit: Okay Johnson's percentages actually did change a bit junior to senior year but that soph. to junior year was no improvement at all.
There are two sides of the ball. Damian was one of the best defensive players in Gopher history. I'd kill to have a player like him if I were a coach.

Disagree with the last part. When this staff got here, Mo Walker was an over weight one trick pony. I would say they developed him into a solid Big Ten level player. Also, Dupree has developed very well so far. I would also argue that Konate has developed. He seems much more comfortable and effective. That doesn't mean he is a starting Big Ten center, but that may have never been his ceiling.

I forgot about Mo Walker. He is a good example of this staff's development. I would argue they just found a way to get him in shape. However, he did develop. So you are right.

I forgot about Mo Walker. He is a good example of this staff's development. I would argue they just found a way to get him in shape. However, he did develop. So you are right.

Yep, "finding a way" to get him in shape is part of development.

Top Bottom