Reusse: Coaching situation at U ever more complicated

What is Joel's official job description? What does his boss want from him? What are the professional criteria by which he's being judged?

I ask myself those questions because it's obvious it's not about winning games in the big sports. By any measurement, we've had a dismal decade.

Re: Pam Borton

Why in the hell is she being paid 1/2 million dollars? What a crock of crap.

Sad to say this is about the only column regarding U of M issues that I've agreed with Reusse on. I'd give away all the titles in lesser sports to have just one Big Ten championship in either football or men's basketball(preferrably football). The U is going to find it very difficult to cut the ties with Borton. He tap danced around the reason in his column but when you're dealing with a protected class or two the U will move far more slowly than if it was a lowly male coach. Not that I care much what they do in that situation though.

What is Joel's official job description? What does his boss want from him? What are the professional criteria by which he's being judged?

I ask myself those questions because it's obvious it's not about winning games in the big sports. By any measurement, we've had a dismal decade.

You are a smart guy, Studwell. But you and so many others in GopherHole are clueless about how things work at the U. This is a quote from Reusse's column:

"she is well-protected by a university administration that is willing to overlook plummeting attendance and a quality of play that gives shoddy a bad name."

It should be patently obvious to anyone with even a passing interest in Gopher sports that no Athletics Director has EVER been able to operate without significant interference from the University President and his top administrators.

Winning conference titles has NEVER been the top priority of the people who make the important decisons about athletics at the U. You all need to stop deluding yourselves into thinking that firing Maturi and hiring a new AD (whoever it is) is going to change that attitude.

While I don't always agree with Reusse, he does call a spade a spade. I don't like him when he will tie in a Gopher rip in an article about the Timberwolves or something. That is uncalled for. This article I agree with 100%

But you and so many others in GopherHole are clueless about how things work at the U.

I know. That's why I ask myself those questions. We judge Joel by one set of expectations, but we're completely in the dark about how he's really measured.

I agree with the article 100%. Maturi is one of the least dynamic people that I have ever met in a leadership position. He appears afraid to to make the tough decisions, and while he may have done fine at a smaller school or as an assistant AD as he was at Wisconsin, at a large university I would hope to have a more dynamic person as the face of the athletic department. He appears willing to just ride out the next 2-3 years until retirement and being reactionary versus proactive.

Maturi wears pleated khaki shorts at events he attends in a professional capacity.

Need I go on?

(He is wonderful human being though. Seriously! Were he a dirt bag this would be much easier..)

Sad to say this is about the only column regarding U of M issues that I've agreed with Reusse on. I'd give away all the titles in lesser sports to have just one Big Ten championship in either football or men's basketball(preferrably football). The U is going to find it very difficult to cut the ties with Borton. He tap danced around the reason in his column but when you're dealing with a protected class or two the U will move far more slowly than if it was a lowly male coach. Not that I care much what they do in that situation though.

Borton won't be bought out not because she's a member of some protected class, but because money will be spent elsewhere. Borton won't be bought out because she's got a long term contract for big dollars in what is a non-revenue or revenue neutral sport at the U. If Minnesota was Tennessee or UConn where they get huge crowds for women's ball, then a buy out would be an option.

Sports Huddle from 2 weeks ago

I agree with the article 100%. Maturi is one of the least dynamic people that I have ever met in a leadership position. He appears afraid to to make the tough decisions, and while he may have done fine at a smaller school or as an assistant AD as he was at Wisconsin, at a large university I would hope to have a more dynamic person as the face of the athletic department. He appears willing to just ride out the next 2-3 years until retirement and being reactionary versus proactive.

I had a good laugh listening to Sid a couple weeks ago when a caller mention the Gopher Hockey situation and why were they not looking at replacing Lucia. Sid basically said the Gophers cannot compete in Hockey any more because they lose too many players to the pro's and because they are losing too many recruites to the other D-1 Hockey programs in the State. There you have, let's throw in the towel because now we can't even compete in Hockey. This would be the equivalent of Ohio State dropping football because they are losing too many recruits to the likes of Ohio U., Cinncinnatti, Bowling Green and others. WOW, he LOVEs to make excuses, and I think Matrui is right in there with him...we can always hang our hats on swimming and men's cross country!

His only task is to balance the budget. And I'm completely serious. That's all the powers that be at the U care about. And Maturi has done that.

His only task is to balance the budget. And I'm completely serious. That's all the powers that be at the U care about. And Maturi has done that.

It would be so much easier to balance a budget if you had winning revenue sports and didn't pay you woman's basketball coach $500,000.00 for coming in 11th in the Big 10. I really think we could find someone to do that for around $38,000.00 a year. JMO

It would be so much easier to balance a budget if you had winning revenue sports and didn't pay you woman's basketball coach $500,000.00 for coming in 11th in the Big 10. I really think we could find someone to do that for around $38,000.00 a year. JMO

borton has been coach at minnesota for 8 years, and only once has her team placed worse in the big 10 than the best finish of that legend tubby smith, who has been here 3 years

i wish tubby had the same standards

Top Bottom