Reusse calls Beth Goetz an "empty suit" says she'll soon be Gophers AD

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

At the very least, he could use his option trading strategies to generate income for the athletic department. :wink: [emoji12] [/snark]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Patrick has been particularly grumpy the last few months or so. I thought we all mellowed with age? Anyways, there's a difference between stating an opinion and just plain being a jerk. ... was the empty suit comment really necessary? And I say that as someone who doesn't mind reading Patrick's musings.

Nothing against Beth because I don't know her personally but if we want things to change in the Gopher athletic department, Beth isn't the person to hire. There are many, MANY options that would be a better fit. I won't list them here as their names have been thrown out there in various threads on this board.

Nothing against Beth because I don't know her personally but if we want things to change in the Gopher athletic department, Beth isn't the person to hire. There are many, MANY options that would be a better fit. I won't list them here as their names have been thrown out there in various threads on this board.

Just curious how you know these things. Do you work in the athletic department?

Patrick has been particularly grumpy the last few months or so? I thought we all mellowed with age? Anyways, there's a difference between stating an opinion and just plain being a jerk. ... was the empty suit comment really necessary? And I say that as someone who doesn't mind reading Patrick's musings.

I agree with all.

Just curious how you know these things. Do you work in the athletic department?

No, I don't work in the athletic department but it would stand to reason she would continue the status quo. My vote would be to look outside the current administration but being this is Minnesota and the general population here feels uncomfortable stepping outside of their comfort zone and the fact that we do everything possible to not go against the grain (read this message board for many, many examples), Beth will be the pick. Mark it.

No, I don't work in the athletic department but it would stand to reason she would continue the status quo. My vote would be to look outside the current administration but being this is Minnesota and the general population here feels uncomfortable stepping outside of their comfort zone and the fact that we do everything possible to not go against the grain (read this message board for many, many examples), Beth will be the pick. Mark it.

I agree that we need to look at outside candidates. I was just wondering how you know she would continue the status quo. Claeys worked under Kill for many years, yet he appears to be doing things differently now that he is the head guy.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "outside their comfort zone"? Do you mean someone who is a safe pick? I don't think Norwood Teague was a safe pick. That was definitely a risky hire that has backfired big time.

I agree that we need to look at outside candidates. I was just wondering how you know she would continue the status quo. Claeys worked under Kill for many years, yet he appears to be doing things differently now that he is the head guy.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "outside their comfort zone"? Do you mean someone who is a safe pick? I don't think Norwood Teague was a safe pick. That was definitely a risky hire that has backfired big time.

How was hiring the sitting athletic director at VCU 'risky' or 'not safe' exactly?

When I think of Golden Gopher status quo, I think of a woman with no ties to the state or university prior to the spring of 2013 who worked at Butler and Missouri St. Louis and graduated from Clemson. Same old, same old.

How was hiring the sitting athletic director at VCU 'risky' or 'not safe' exactly?

Risky was probably the wrong word. My apologies. I guess I am just going by what I think Gopher2017 meant by the status quo. Norwood was someone with no connections to the U and came from a school that doesn't have football.

I could be wrong though about what he meant by "status quo" and "outside their comfort zone".

When I think of Golden Gopher status quo, I think of a woman with no ties to the state or university prior to the spring of 2013 who worked at Butler and Missouri St. Louis and graduated from Clemson. Same old, same old.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you exhibit A.

Risky was probably the wrong word. My apologies. I guess I am just going by what I think Gopher2017 meant by the status quo. Norwood was someone with no connections to the U and came from a school that doesn't have football.

I could be wrong though about what he meant by "status quo" and "outside their comfort zone".

Clearly hiring him was risky. LOL.

We looked outside to Nowoody, look how that turned out.
Can Goetz provide the coaches with the resources they need to do their jobs? Can she raise money or find the folks who can raise money? If so, then look no further. The AD has to be extremely organized and efficient. From everything I have read, that is what makes Goetz stand out.
Enough with the slick willy salespeople.

We looked outside to Nowoody, look how that turned out. Can Goetz provide the coaches with the resources they need to do their jobs? Can she raise money or find the folks who can raise money? If so, then look no further. The AD has to be extremely organized and efficient. From everything I have read, that is what makes Goetz stand out. Enough with the slick willy salespeople.

Yes it didn't work out with Norwood, but that doesn't mean you don't look outside again. He is not representative of the outside candidate pool.

A very common and very stupid thought.

How many bosses have you had that you thought to yourself....."if I had that job I would do everything just like him/her?"

Many good people have been passed over because of this type of thinking.

A very common and very stupid thought. How many bosses have you had that you thought to yourself....."if I had that job I would do everything just like him/her?" Many good people have been passed over because of this type of thinking.

Just like Claeys did.

Patrick has been particularly grumpy the last few months or so. I thought we all mellowed with age? Anyways, there's a difference between stating an opinion and just plain being a jerk. ... was the empty suit comment really necessary? And I say that as someone who doesn't mind reading Patrick's musings.

I believe I heard him say that he is in his final year at the Star Tribune, so basically he isn't going to hold anything back.

A very common and very stupid thought.

How many bosses have you had that you thought to yourself....."if I had that job I would do everything just like him/her?"

Many good people have been passed over because of this type of thinking.

This is a very common and very stupid thought and exactly why Gopher athletics will be cellar dwellers for many years to come.

And station19 has just given you exhibit B.

Thank goodness there are posters like you on this message board to add your infinite wisdom

Top Bottom