Reusse: Bowl bonanza feeds us trash over tradition

The old guy is already preparing his column for next year that mocks the Gophers, in the event they win 7 or 8 games and play in the Gator Bowl.

i did not click on the link and i will never click on a strib link, particularly one with reusse's name on it.

The old guy is already preparing his column for next year that mocks the Gophers, in the event they win 7 or 8 games and play in the Gator Bowl.

I know stranger things have happened, but winning 7 games next year will be a tall, tall order

That was the best article Reusse has written in quite some time. Summed up my feelings perfectly.

I will not click on his articles, in fact I canceled my paper because of their sh!t sports coverage.

It wasn't about the Gophers, but about the dilution of NYD Bowls and the extension of bowl season a week.

I agree with most of the stuff he says.

You can criticize the man for his general ramblings, but he was quite accurate here.

Jan 1st used to mean something. MSU is playing in a Jan bowl we could very easily have been if not for bowl politics, and this is considering we lost to a piss poor ISU team, and many fans are calling for the firing of our coach after he took a med/poor program to a bowl game.

Too many bowls, not enough tradition. No one with under 10 wins should be playing in January, IMHO.

You can criticize the man for his general ramblings, but he was quite accurate here.

Jan 1st used to mean something. MSU is playing in a Jan bowl we could very easily have been if not for bowl politics, and this is considering we lost to a piss poor ISU team, and many fans are calling for the firing of our coach after he took a med/poor program to a bowl game.

Too many bowls, not enough tradition. No one with under 10 wins should be playing in January, IMHO.

Respectfully disagree. Already several Bowl games this year that would put to shame any of the Sunday NFL games. You didn't enjoy Texas Tech and MSU last night?

Anybody see Idaho versus Bowling Green.
What an awesome game.
I, personally, love the bowl season. I'm sure that the Idaho team felt like they won the Super Bowl and good for them. It was a MUCH better game than #4 Cincinnati :rolleyes: versus #5 Florida.

The best solution if you don't like all the bowl games... don't watch them all. Simple.

Already several Bowl games this year that would put to shame any of the Sunday NFL games. You didn't enjoy Texas Tech and MSU last night?

Amen. Some of the best bowl games this year have been "minor" bowl games. Northwestern/Auburn has been the best game this year by far. The Wisconsin, PSU and MSU games were also very good.

The problem I have with the Bowl + 1 system that Reusse mentions is that it will create the same amount of controversy that we currently have for 2 reasons. 1) How do you decide who gets picked to play in the championship game? Is it solely dependant on how they play in the bowl game or the season overall? What if 3 deserve to play? 2) What if one of the bowl games themselves has the 2 best teams? Why would you need to play the additional game?

I think Fatrick is right on this one, except for a couple of things.

First it isn't just any regular season hockey game it is the Winter Classic. You have to admit it it's pretty cool. I just wish they would find a better day to have it because there is so many other good games on.

Second some of the best bowl games are the "minor" bowls. Idaho-Bowling Green, Auburn-NW were great games. But Pat is right keep Jan 1st special. BSC games only. Rose Bowl in the afternoon, Suger Bowl at night. You can jam all the other minor bowls inbetween the the BSC bowls and the NC Game.

Overall a great column and even most of you hate the guy its worth reading.

I love the +1 idea as well. I think you would have to add a 5th BSC game but that isn't a problem. I say add the Cotton Bowl.

Here is how you do it.

Between New Years Eve, New Years Day, and the closest weekend you play all 5 games. For example lets say NYD lands on Friday for simplicity. On NYE you play say the Suger Bowl to go back to tradition(I'm a sucker for tradition). Then on NYD you watch the Rose Bowl Parade in the morning(tradition again) then the Rose Bowl during the day and the Orange Bowl at night. Then on Saturday you still have the Cotton Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl they go afternoon and night. You keep all your traditional bowl tie-ins like the B10 P10 Rose Bowl, SEC champ to the Suger etc. From there you have your 5 winners. At which point you have one more poll. And 1 vs 2 face each other in the NC game the following Saturday night, which in this case would the the 9th.

It would be a great deal. You get one more BCS game which means $$$, a week worth of hype, etc. everybody wins.

The whole purpose of bowl games is to reward the top teams in the country, as well as to determine which may be better for national bragging rights. The same concept is used in traditional "playoffs", but we all know that story in NCAA football terms.

No one is saying that these lower entry bowl games aren't competitive. If you want to use that argument though, what's stopping you from supporting a Kohler Toilet Bowl between Washington St & New Mexico -- they're quite similar?

It's a "showcase", not a park & recreation PR routine to let everyone play an equal amount. 6-6 should not get anyone into a bowl game, especially considering there are many lower D-I divisional teams with very good records who get shafted regularly. I'm just saying...

Hasn't there always been politics in picking matchups for certain bowl games?

Is Reusse ever happy? We should petition the NCAA to annoit Patrick to President of the NCAA so he can do everything perfectly.

At the end of the day Patty, 7 Big Ten teams made the 2009 NCAA Men's bb Tournament and 7 Big Ten teams went to a Bowl Game. I don't see you writing any articles about making the basketball tournament smaller. So enough of your annual January bowl bitching articles.

Let's remember Tubby Smith went 9-9 in the Big Ten with a cupcake non-conference....so it isn't like the mens bb tourny is full of steller teams like everyone seems to think.

Top Bottom