Reusse and "Fatism"

Recently, Reusse stated that "fatism" is a deeper prejudice in American society than ageism, sexism or racism, suggesting that it was an important factor in the fall of Coach Claeys, one that pre-dated "the scandal". This seems to be one of those "elephant in the room" topics. It is so volatile that people tend to leave it alone, perhaps in the interest of civility. I wonder if a reasonable discussion could take place on this forum.
I live in San Diego. "Body culture" is a big deal here. This emphasis can be a good and healthy thing but I have often seen it taken too far. Twenty years of dating out here taught me that there is a grain of truth in Jackson Browne's line "it's who you look like, not who you are." I finally found a Wisconsin lady out here and have been happily married for 27 years. Mercifully, she cares not at all about sports.
When I come back to Minnesota, it doesn't take long to realize that I am in a very different place. One of the things about Minnesota that I most appreciate is the general understanding in relationships that substance trumps style. My friends and relatives see food differently from me and don't care so much about their figures. I say good for them, but I do sometimes fear for their health.This brings us to the Coach Claeys situation.
Of course, there are anti-discriminatory laws in place but they can be circumvented. If an organization feels its most public representative does not project an attractive appearance, it can find other paths to dismissal.
But what do you think? Did the appearance of Coach Claeys impact his effectiveness as coach, recruiter and "face of the program"? If so, to what degree? Do you agree with Reusse's take on the depth and prevalence of this bias?

This is a relevant topic.

From my standpoint, I can say yes without hesitation that men the stature of Claeys, Mangino, Weis, and Bert do not project well as "faces of a program." It's not fair, but it's difficult to believe that wasn't a factor -- even if a minor one -- in the decision.

MN is almost always ranked in top 5 (often #1) when it comes to health (Google away...). But I don't doubt that if you look hard enough you can find something, somewhere that has MN ranked lower. In the end, I can fill a page with links showing MN ranks at or near the top of all US states according to various health indices. Again, almost always above CA.

But let's give you the benefit of the doubt and break health down further to just obesity. After all that is what this is about. The obesity rates for CA and MN are within 2% (pretty close) and although both are "good" related to most other states, the numbers are both too high. For MN, the rates for heart disease and diabetes are better so the 2% obesity difference is "gobbled" up by these facts when it comes to health.

http://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

If you are basing your personal fat "study" and making judgements on eyeball comparisons between your neighborhood in San Diego with your friends and family in outstate MN, I'm guessing your opinion would be just as skewed as a person living in uptown Mpls flying to Oakland and observing people there.

Thank you for responding. Wallethub has an interesting rating of U.S. Cities based on "fatness". With #1 being the worst, San Diego and the Twin Cities rank 87th and 88th. I don't think it's reasonable to expect an entire state, California or Minnesota, to be able to compete with numbers as impressive as these. San Diego and The Cities would both win easily when their numbers are compared with those that represent most entire states.

Top Bottom