Retired Jerseys

DrunkDons

Reaction score
Who in recent years is deserving of being in the conversation for having their jersey retired (if any)? We haven't retired a jersey in over ten years (Bobby Bell) and have five retired in total. With the team's success in the past years, I think there are a decent amount of people you can make an argument for. Some of these players are re-writing the record books and are having (or will have) solid careers in the NFL.

Last edited:

I don’t think Bobby Bell’s # is retired. He has his name on the “ring of honor” or in the hall of fame or whatever its called. But 78 was worn by Daniel Faalele in 2021. And currently by Ashton Beers.

I don’t think Bobby Bell’s # is retired. He has his name on the “ring of honor” or in the hall of fame or whatever its called. But 78 was worn by Daniel Faalele in 2021. And currently by Ashton Beers.
This is right. Bobby bell had his jersey retired but not his number.

It's rare to retire numbers in football because the size of the rosters are so large, and traditionally, numbers are assigned by position (though college is a little more loose than the NFL)

It's rare to retire numbers in football because the size of the rosters are so large, and traditionally, numbers are assigned by position (though college is a little more loose than the NFL)
When players are already doubling up on numbers it's hard to retire them.

Personally, I think Mo has the best chance. The best running back I've seen outside of Maroney.

When players are already doubling up on numbers it's hard to retire them.
Right, and in college hoops, there are so many numbers you can't use already, that really limits it.

IIRC, the Montreal Canadiens have the same number retired for multiple players.

Mo and Tanner's #24 and #2 will go up together
I'd really like to see T-Morg up there. He's been around forever and is the winningest QB we've had. Doubt he will do play much of a role in the NFL outside of being a solid backup, which might hurt his chances. Personally, I would like to see Winfield Jr. up there.

I'd really like to see T-Morg up there. He's been around forever and is the winningest QB we've had. Doubt he will do play much of a role in the NFL outside of being a solid backup, which might hurt his chances. Personally, I would like to see Winfield Jr. up there.
As great a player as Winfield was, he only played two years. I think the honor should be reserved for career guys like Tanner and Mo.

As great a player as Winfield was, he only played two years. I think the honor should be reserved for career guys like Tanner and Mo.
Well said, in that case, what about JMS? He's been here for a minute and will probably be the first center drafted next year.

What about Greg Eslnger?
Maybe Eslinger or Tyrone Carter. With only five names on the list it is reserved for nationally recognized players. Mo needs to be AA and a Heisman finalist to have a chance IMO. As much as I like these players I don't want them to water down the honor.

I think if a Gopher won the Heisman they may get a number retirement, but a lot of schools don't do that anymore either, and instead honor in different ways - banners, name displayed in stadium, statue, etc. Michigan did patches on those jerseys for years. Some schools just consider it an honor to wear the number of a former great.

We've already got a lot of guys sharing numbers as-is and it's just too logistically hard to retire football numbers. If the Gophers can maintain some success there could be worthy candidates coming through regularly and it could get out of hand or bring questions of fairness very quickly.

Mase brings this up periodically on KFAN.

He seems actually pretty peeved that guys who won the national awards under him have not been recognized.

Eslinger. Spaeth, and Carter.

Top Bottom