Requesting more questions for Dave Mona to ask coach Kill

DL65

Reaction score
Normally I send out this request for questions you'd like to hear Dave Mona ask coach Kill at midweek. Asking questions that one thinks would be informative and of interest to the fans is not as easy as one thinks. That said, I know there are a lot of interested and informed members on GopherHole who could raise a question or two that may elicit interesting responses and insights from coach Kill.

Dave Mona has asked most of the questions raised in previous threads. I'd like to see some new, intriguing questions for the Jerry Kill Show on the Sports Huddle. So, please give some serious thought as to what you'd like to hear asked and what aspects of Golden Gopher football you'd like covered. The questions can be technical or general in nature. You can be a contributing member to the Sports Huddle . . . a chance to have your voice heard.

Thanks in advance.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for doing this DL, your contributions to Gopherhole have been awesome. If I ever run into you in the real world, I owe you a beer or 12.

I'll think of some questions and post them later in the week.

Thanks for doing this DL, your contributions to Gopherhole have been awesome. If I ever run into you in the real world, I owe you a beer or 12.

Include me in that offer, so for DL that is a couple of beers or 24. :)

(p.s. And no fair for DL65 to respond, "No thanks, can I just have the money instead?")

I was wondering if Westerhaus has recovered from his concussion. I believe he was hurt while hiking in Arizona prior to last season.

1. Now with faster DB's than last year with guys like Troy and Martez what kinds of D formations will be used? More man to man coverage?

2. Kill came in last year with a very fast and aggressive spring practice. He then made a comment that he needed to slow it down due the group of guys he had. Does he plan to come out again this spring with the same fast pace? If not what changes will he make?

Agreed! He gets my vote for GopherHole Hall of Fame.

I'm still interested in Orseske's inconsistency. Is it just concentration issues or is there something with how he punts that needs to be changed? Some have mentioned that coaches tried changing his kicking style when he first arrived at the U.

Last October, you told the Dunkers group that your staff was monitoring 63 of the team's players to make sure they're attending class. Are you still having to monitor kids? If so, how many are you still monitoring?

Is it confirmed that Gjere and Campion are cleared to play? What is the status of Connor Cosgrove?

I'm not 100 percent this question hasn't been asked in another of these threads, my apologies if it has.

I'm curious if Coach Kill has any ideas for improving the student section. Obviously it isn't an explicit part of his job, but I was really impressed with how he went to the students last year to get them into the stadium and then bought them all lunch before one game. Maybe he has some ideas about a better tailgating/game day experience for the students.

Thanks as always for organizing and doing this stuff DL!

Do Coach Kill & staff target a specific number of snaps during spring practice? And if so, do they expect that number to go up this year?

Now that players know the 'basics' having been in the system a year is there the opportunity to teach/practice/run more exotic or trick plays? Do the players get jacked about running these? And do the coaches talk about implementing them as a reward for executing the fundamentals well?

It seems that D-Line is the position more than any other where coaches want to rotate in the 2's up to 30- 40% of the snaps. Is this true for the Gophers? If so, how many B10 quality guys do you want to be able to rotate, how many did we have last year, and how many do you hope to have in the fall?

Although a lot will be in flux with the incoming AD and his/her staff, how do you feel that Gopher marketing has already been impacted by your arrival and also what other things do you see going forward that can both help get more butts in the seats and a better overall game day experience?

1) Are you planning visits in late spring or early summer to outstate communities as you did last year? If so, when and what communities are you scheduled to visit?

2) Last year you said that you'll build the program on a solid foundation. What are the necessary components (cornerstones) that you seek to build on to have a successful, winning program?

3) There's an axiom: Leaders mentor and leaders need and have mentors. I assume you're a mentor to your coaches and you have mentor(s) as well. Would you mind telling us who you have as mentors?

4) Do you subscribe to recruiting services as a part of your recruiting program? If so, which service(s)? Is it a common practice of schools to utilize recruiting services? Have you heard of recruiting services favoring certain schools and talking up those schools?

5) Sports commentators and opposing coaches have frequently remarked about your staff's coaching longevity and of staying together. What are the factors or reasons that you've enjoyed the longevity of the staff that you have?

6) What surprised you the most during your first year in the Big !0 Conference? What adjustments, if any, are you planning to implement after having experienced a year of conference play?

7) What are the football-related selling points that you presntly convey to recruits? Opportunity . . . potentially seeing the field early . . . playing in the Big 10 etc.?

8) Have you conducted an outreach program to the academic community at the University of Minnesota? (Explaining your coaching/teaching philosophy and your academic expectations for the team.) As a result of the team's academic improvement this year, have you received any feedback from the academic community?

9) What do you look for in your team leaders? What are your expectations of them as team leaders?

10) What part of spring ball excites you the most? Teaching? Evaluating individual and/or group progress? Seeing the results and benefits of off-season training, etc.?

Go Gophers!!

One thing that appears to be true, but I would like to have coach Kill respond is whether they really are more conservative with offers to local kids than they are to out of state kids. I assume it is due to the heat they get when they don't keep an offer to a local kid while with out of state kids, a team can just stop calling and both sides move on (true for all teams). Secondly, I would assume there are out of state programs where they are also careful about their offers.

Sorry if this has been asked before. After 3 full years in the new stadium, only the very first game against Air Force had the electricity that most other schools have every Saturday. Even in the brochure that the marketing dept. sent out promoting season ticket renewals, it quotes you as saying, " the one thing we CAN'T sell is game-day. Recruits have to see our stadium jam packed, tailgate lots full and fans lining up for the Victory Walk." Heck, the tailgate lots around the stadium are half empty on game days and the group that I tailgate with (about 120 parking spots) had to go 4 blocks off campus in order to get all our spots together. We got no consideration from the U, even though a good share of us are Goal Line Club members. That being said, is there anything new to promote pre-game activities on campus? Incorporating the Greek Community, The Band, local eating & drinking establishments, and particularly the students, who were much more visible prior to moving back to campus (which is a big surprise).

go4rob said:
Sorry if this has been asked before. After 3 full years in the new stadium, only the very first game against Air Force had the electricity that most other schools have every Saturday. Even in the brochure that the marketing dept. sent out promoting season ticket renewals, it quotes you as saying, " the one thing we CAN'T sell is game-day. Recruits have to see our stadium jam packed, tailgate lots full and fans lining up for the Victory Walk." Heck, the tailgate lots around the stadium are half empty on game days and the group that I tailgate with (about 120 parking spots) had to go 4 blocks off campus in order to get all our spots together. We got no consideration from the U, even though a good share of us are Goal Line Club members. That being said, is there anything new to promote pre-game activities on campus? Incorporating the Greek Community, The Band, local eating & drinking establishments, and particularly the students, who were much more visible prior to moving back to campus (which is a big surprise).

I disagree that only the Air Force game was electric. MSU Halloween game and both Iowa games were a blast. If the tailgate lots are half full, why did your group have to park 4 blocks off campus? Pony up to park near the stadium or park wherever you want and go to Sally's or Stub and Herb's. They usually have a good crowd.

It's not a surprise that the students were more visible at the Dome because we had a better team back then. If we have another 10 win season like 2003, the place will be jumpin'.

gophergrad said:
I'm not 100 percent this question hasn't been asked in another of these threads, my apologies if it has.

I'm curious if Coach Kill has any ideas for improving the student section. Obviously it isn't an explicit part of his job, but I was really impressed with how he went to the students last year to get them into the stadium and then bought them all lunch before one game. Maybe he has some ideas about a better tailgating/game day experience for the students.

Thanks as always for organizing and doing this stuff DL!
I 2nd this question - good one!

I disagree that only the Air Force game was electric. MSU Halloween game and both Iowa games were a blast. If the tailgate lots are half full, why did your group have to park 4 blocks off campus? Pony up to park near the stadium or park wherever you want and go to Sally's or Stub and Herb's. They usually have a good crowd.

It's not a surprise that the students were more visible at the Dome because we had a better team back then. If we have another 10 win season like 2003, the place will be jumpin'.

The California game was pretty electric, especially when Decker hit Gray for the TD.

I'd like to hear coach's thoughts on the bounty admittions from the New Orleans Saints.

I'd also like to hear how he teaches his players the difference between intent to hurt and intent to injure.

Is there a way to get the music turned back up to the levels of the Air Force game? That game looked and sounded great, yet neighbors complained about the noise and the sound has since been turned down. Shouldn't the only D1 University in the state be able to play music as loud as it wants for 8 Saturday's a year?

When I said "electric" I meant outside the stadium 2 hours prior to the game. I've never seen anything quite like that first game. We have an excellent crowd of tailgaters and I'd never give that up and go to Sally's or Sturb's. We had to move off-campus because not all of us give the amount of donations needed to get into the lots next to the stadium. Yet the lots next to the stadium go half empty. Seems like if the U really wanted them full, they could find a way. We even suggested having them lump some of our donations together to get a few spots but Maturi said "no". We already contribute $250 extra for our tickets and can't afford to "pony up" any more.

Is there a way to get the music turned back up to the levels of the Air Force game? That game looked and sounded great, yet neighbors complained about the noise and the sound has since been turned down. Shouldn't the only D1 University in the state be able to play music as loud as it wants for 8 Saturday's a year?

Did this really happen?!

I know the complaints happened. I can remember the PiPress article about the folks who lived a couple of miles away complaining they could hear the game. This of course ignores the fact that sound is a funny thing and this is just how things are. Sound travels in funny ways based on topography, weather, etc. For instance, I grew up in Detroit Lakes. My folks used to live in town and you could always hear the WE Fest concerts quite well at their old home. Since moving across the lake and several miles closer to the WE Fest grounds, they barely ever hear the concerts at all.

I honestly don't recall the sound level from that game via the scoreboard well enough to know if they made a noticeable change though.

When I said "electric" I meant outside the stadium 2 hours prior to the game. I've never seen anything quite like that first game. We have an excellent crowd of tailgaters and I'd never give that up and go to Sally's or Sturb's. We had to move off-campus because not all of us give the amount of donations needed to get into the lots next to the stadium. Yet the lots next to the stadium go half empty. Seems like if the U really wanted them full, they could find a way. We even suggested having them lump some of our donations together to get a few spots but Maturi said "no". We already contribute $250 extra for our tickets and can't afford to "pony up" any more.

I'm hoping that a new AD will take a longer look at this sort of thing. Or that President Kaler pushes for a change to how parking revenue gets awarded. Right now, PTS collects all the parking revenues, not the athletic dept. This is a pretty big shift from how most schools operate. If the AD were collecting the money from athletic events (I think a VERY conservative estimate would have this number easily over $500K a season for FB alone) then the donation amounts wouldn't be so important and perhaps more flexibility could be offered. Franly, I think the accommodation you asked for is plenty reasonable and is worth considering, but here we are.

Field position football: Why is it that we rarely see a quick kick used to get out of poor field position or to put the opponent in a hole? Too risky? During your coaching career, have you ever utilized a quick kick to improve your team's field position? Has an opponent successfully utilized a quick kick against your team? I'd think a third and long scenario would lend itself to a surprise quick. i don't remember the last time i witnessed a quick kick. However, when i played football many, many years ago, we used the quick kick a couple times one season and both times to great effect.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom