Report: USC and UCLA planning to join BIG TEN.

a lot of buzz and chatter out there about Notre Dame.

I've seen tweets from a couple of college football guys claiming that the B1G is basically waiting on Notre Dame to make a decision.

according to one story, Oregon and Washington have reached out to the B1G about possible membership, but the B1G replied that they are waiting for Notre Dame to decide before any other moves are made.

I know this is the basketball board, but adding Notre Dame for Football would make the B1G media rights deal ridiculous.

people were already predicting a $1Billion deal. add Notre Dame to that...........who the bleep knows.

estimates that under the new deal, each B1G school will get $100Million a year.

ESPN reported today that Notre Dame cannot move it's football program to a non-ACC conference without penalties. Because all of Notre Dame's other sports programs are through the ACC, a deal was signed that if they ever wanted to join a conference for football, it has to be the ACC. They were saying the termination fee of that agreement would be upwards of $100 million if they were to break it.

ESPN reported today that Notre Dame cannot move it's football program to a non-ACC conference without penalties. Because all of Notre Dame's other sports programs are through the ACC, a deal was signed that if they ever wanted to join a conference for football, it has to be the ACC. They were saying the termination fee of that agreement would be upwards of $100 million if they were to break it.
Contracts are made to be broken. Let them sue. What are the odds of the ACC prevailing?

Never said it couldn't be done, but there's a really big obstacle in the way.

on the other hand - let's say you're Notre Dame. and you can join the B1G and get in on the biggest rights deal in the history of TV Sports. some people are predicting that each team in the B1G could get $100-Million a year under the new deal.

at some point, the increase in yearly TV income outweighs the cost of leaving the ACC.

Notre Dame has smart people with calculators. they can do the math. they see where the trends are going.

on the other hand - let's say you're Notre Dame. and you can join the B1G and get in on the biggest rights deal in the history of TV Sports. some people are predicting that each team in the B1G could get $100-Million a year under the new deal.

at some point, the increase in yearly TV income outweighs the cost of leaving the ACC.

Notre Dame has smart people with calculators. they can do the math. they see where the trends are going.
I thought I’d seen this elsewhere too, that joining the Big Ten would enable to Notre Dame to make back the cost of buying their way out of the ACC, or that it might be a lucrative enough prospect that Fox might foot some of the bill or something?

I've seen a few places suggesting UNC could be another B1G target.

Sums it up perfectly right now... 😅

Attachments

• FWma3PfXgAIDW0W.jpeg
    FWma3PfXgAIDW0W.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 11

Just from the perspective of adding these two as mens basketball teams to the conference and ignoring the larger financial aspect of it (which I know is huge), I think it is sort of "meh".

Depending on what the schedule looks like, it's possible Gophers could play both on a single road trip and would present a opportunity for fans to travel in the heart of winter. Also, if you are a night owl, the Pacific timezone slot might provide a few more late night games.

Otherwise, UCLA has the history and will be a good opponent; USC not so much.

UCLA is a blue blood. USC is a helmet school. Both bring prestige to the conference in a way that none of the other recent additions (Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers) do. Nebraska doesn't really have the football pedigree that we thought they'd maintain....mostly due to the total bungling of the Pelini dismissal. Maryland has had some top notch basketball teams....but that was more a flash in the pan rather than sustained high level success.

I'd be surprised if that penalty kept ND and the Big Ten from making it happen.

I'd be surprised if that penalty kept ND and the Big Ten from making it happen.
If Minnesota can scrounge up $100 million+ for a new football stadium and practice facility, then Notre Dame can certainly do the same for a far more obvious and lucrative investment in their entire athletic program that pays itself off in a few years.

BFD. That is just 1 year if the new TV deal w/o ND…..

Calm down everyone. Don't kill the messenger. Was just contributing to the thread about what ESPN was reporting.

If Minnesota can scrounge up $100 million+ for a new football stadium and practice facility, then Notre Dame can certainly do the same for a far more obvious and lucrative investment in their entire athletic program that pays itself off in a few years.

Exactly.

Personally....I think ND should go kick rocks. I think it would be hilarious if the Big Ten and the SEC expanded to 20....stopped there.....and left them outside looking in. I know that it would never happen however. The Fighting Irish are too big of a brand to say no to....unfortunately. And for all sorts of reasons....they would 100% fit in the Big Ten. It'll happen at some point. I have little doubt.

Notre Dame is the key to what happens next. If ND says yes, then the B1G needs 3 more teams to hit 20.

Washington and Oregon want in bad, according to all accounts.

assuming ND says yes, that leaves one more opening.

The B1G could go West for Stanford (academics, good athletics).
Or they could try to get another Eastern team - North Carolina?

Notre Dame is the key to what happens next. If ND says yes, then the B1G needs 3 more teams to hit 20.

Washington and Oregon want in bad, according to all accounts.

assuming ND says yes, that leaves one more opening.

The B1G could go West for Stanford (academics, good athletics).
Or they could try to get another Eastern team - North Carolina?
Stanford dwarfs everyone when it comes to academics and athletics. Look at them compared to any school in the conference. Incredible.

If it stays at 16, it's been hard enough for the Gophers to avoid Weekling Wednesday. In the future the bottom half/8 teams will have to pull off the 5 games in 5 day feat.

Exactly.

Personally....I think ND should go kick rocks. I think it would be hilarious if the Big Ten and the SEC expanded to 20....stopped there.....and left them outside looking in. I know that it would never happen however. The Fighting Irish are too big of a brand to say no to....unfortunately. And for all sorts of reasons....they would 100% fit in the Big Ten. It'll happen at some point. I have little doubt.
Probably sooner.

Contracts are made to be broken. Let them sue. What are the odds of the ACC prevailing?
I remember my boss saying "Contracts are meant to be broken" when he came in and was unhappy about a contract that still had a year or two to run. He tried, but I convinced him that he really didn't want his reputation to be a guy that does that. Fast forward 10 years and I'm in a meeting listening to him angrily going off on a company trying to break a contract that we want them to honor. #IWantItBothWays

I hope ND opts for the ACC, college football will be ruined if there are two major conferences, basketball will be fine either way. ND in the ACC makes it a viable conference and would probably entice Clemson, Florida State, Miami, VT to stay.

I hope ND opts for the ACC, college football will be ruined if there are two major conferences, basketball will be fine either way. ND in the ACC makes it a viable conference and would probably entice Clemson, Florida State, Miami, VT to stay.
What if there is only one major football conference?

Top Bottom