Report on campus doctor raises flags about iconic Michigan coach Bo Schembechler

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

A report about the stunning lack of action at the University of Michigan while a rogue doctor was sexually assaulting hundreds of young men has cast an unflattering light at one of the school's giants, the late football coach Bo Schembechler, whose bronze statue stands on campus.

Schembechler, who led the team from 1969 to 1989, was vividly told by at least four people that Robert Anderson had molested them during routine physicals or other exams, according to the report commissioned by the university. Yet, the report says, he took no direct steps and even told one man to "toughen up."

While U-M digests the report by the WilmerHale law firm and deals with a flood of lawsuits by Anderson's victims, it also might have to consider the future of the Schembechler statue and the football building that bears his name. Penn State University in 2012 removed a statue of the iconic coach Joe Paterno who was accused of burying child sex abuse allegations against an assistant coach.

Go Gophers!!

The people who got first hand reports, that's horrible. That's just horrific.

Side note:

I do wonder about the parts of the report that talked about people hearing "rumors." Like do you report every third hand rumor you hear? How do you even investigate a third hand rumor? Full blown investigation? Do you ask everyone in the rumor every time the rumor comes up?

I don't have a good answer here on the rumor part.

The people who got first hand reports, that's horrible. That's just horrific.

Side note:

I do wonder about the parts of the report that talked about people hearing "rumors." Like do you report every third hand rumor you hear? How do you even investigate a third hand rumor? Full blown investigation? Do you ask everyone in the rumor every time the rumor comes up?

I don't have a good answer here on the rumor part.
Rumors happen all the time and 99.9% are not true.
Many states have made it mandatory to report “rumors” of abuse of minors and in educational settings.

I am not sure of Michigan law and when mandated reporting was added. This could have happened before that.

Schembechler, who led the team from 1969 to 1989, was vividly told by at least four people that Robert Anderson had molested them during routine physicals or other exams, according to the report commissioned by the university. Yet, the report says, he took no direct steps and even told one man to "toughen up."

The key word in this statement is "vividly" that I would take as a strong evidence that something is wrong and should be checked into.

It was not just the football players that were molested and had their complaints ignored by their coach.
The wrestlers suffered the same trauma and they also were ignored by their coaches, one of whom, Jordan, is a congressman from Ohio.

The key word in this statement is "vividly" that I would take as a strong evidence that something is wrong and should be checked into.
I’d love to sit and bash MI and Bo, but read a little more, and it appears he is included for the affect his name adds for legal leverage.

I thought “toughen up,” sounded absurd. Then I read what the player said to him. It read like complaining about an exam, and did not read like reporting harassment. Moreover, he had players report to the AD.

I’d love to sit and bash MI and Bo, but read a little more, and it appears he is included for the affect his name adds for legal leverage.

I thought “toughen up,” sounded absurd. Then I read what the player said to him. It read like complaining about an exam, and did not read like reporting harassment. Moreover, he had players report to the AD.
There's money to be made in settlements if you just keep digging deep enough

Top Bottom