Report: McNeil Coming To Minnesota UPDATED 4/23: McNeil signs LOI with Gophers

Published on July 14, 2011 (long time ago) Foster had big offers as a sophomore...
Pitino and staff have extended a scholarship offer to 2013 combo guard Daquan McNeil. The Baltimore native has racked up quite a few offers over the past couple of days, due to his stellar play at the Nike EYBL Peach Jam. McNeil currently holds offers from Rutgers, South Florida, and Washington with Uconn, Oklahoma St, Louisville, Arizona, California, and Texas.

McNeil is a gifted athlete, who can score at will. At 6-4 180 lb. he can score in a variety of ways. McNeil has led his Baltimore Elite AAU club to some impressive wins in North Augusta this week.

http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/2011/07/14/louisville-offers-2013-combo-guard-daquan-mcneil/

Thanks for the additional info

Sounds like McNeil's defense might be where his greatest potential is. When you're planning on pressing every game all season long, you definitely need players like him who can cause problems with their quickness and length. If he can handle the ball a little then he sounds like a very solid addition.

Published on July 14, 2011 (long time ago) Foster had big offers as a sophomore...
Pitino and staff have extended a scholarship offer to 2013 combo guard Daquan McNeil. The Baltimore native has racked up quite a few offers over the past couple of days, due to his stellar play at the Nike EYBL Peach Jam. McNeil currently holds offers from Rutgers, South Florida, and Washington with Uconn, Oklahoma St, Louisville, Arizona, California, and Texas.

McNeil is a gifted athlete, who can score at will. At 6-4 180 lb. he can score in a variety of ways. McNeil has led his Baltimore Elite AAU club to some impressive wins in North Augusta this week.

http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/2011/07/14/louisville-offers-2013-combo-guard-daquan-mcneil/

I would question that. One of the few good things about highlight clips is they generally show you what a kid does well, when he is doing it at his best. I didn't see a mid-range game or even one 3 point shot. He's a slasher, finisher who is very good defensively. One All-Star type clip I watched, there was no doubt he was the primary ball handler and set the team. I would be surprised if he is not our back-up PG, but I could see other programs using him differently.

This should work brilliantly. Put him out there with Dre and we'll have a point guard between them, one to drain threes and the other to consistently attack the basket. Would also make for a great defensive pairing with Austin on the floor.

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 7h
G Daquein McNeil has requested a release from FIU. Someone close to him: "If I am a Minnesota fan, I like my chances (he comes)." #gophers

Jesse Bopp ‏@VTACADEMYHOOPS 22 Feb
I am forever grateful for what Daquein McNeil has meant to our program and our school: 47 wins and not a practice/game missed in 3 years. Ask a student or faculty member how they feel about Daquein McNeil at #VermontAcademy you will put a smile on someone's face.

Edgar Walker ‏@Edgar_Walker 2h
Sources saying 2013 G Daequan McNeil is "definitely" headed to Minnesota. Still waiting on confirmation from the former FIU commit himself.

Was he a Rivals 150 prospect at some point? It certainly appears that way from notes on the bottom of his Rivals page. And I swear he was #146 or something like that when I originally looked up FIU recruits after Pitino was hired. Maybe I had too many beers that day....

Either way, I like what I see in the clips. Very quick and aggressive.

Was he a Rivals 150 prospect at some point? It certainly appears that way from notes on the bottom of his Rivals page. And I swear he was #146 or something like that when I originally looked up FIU recruits after Pitino was hired. Maybe I had too many beers that day....

Either way, I like what I see in the clips. Very quick and aggressive.

I thought I remembered seeing him as a Rivals150 recruit, too.

Posted in a New England preps basketball blog...

http://ballastv.com/profiles/blogs/daquein-mcneil-basketball-prospect-vermont-baltiomore

What Impressed Us About Daquein Mcneil
Very Fast with the ball in his hands doen't let defenders impede his drives to the basket because of his strength.
Very capable and willing passer; found cutters while he was driving towards basket.
Doesn't need the ball to score, will run the break for easy layups or finish around the basket off of offensive rebounds.
Great rebounder at the guard position.
Good on the ball defender and capable shot blocker.
Doesn't shoot to many jump shots but efficient on the ones he takes.
Good athlete who can play above the rim.

I thought I remembered seeing him as a Rivals150 recruit, too.
April 16, 2013
Recruiting: 2013 Daquein McNeil [Minnesota]

Going back two and three years ago the high major interest in McNeil was substantial and he was being tracked by the likes of Marquette and Louisville. Over time the interest fell and when he committed to FIU last fall (his only official visit) we believe all of his other offers were from mid-majors such as Richmond and Rhode Island.

(link from Gopher Warrior)
http://latenighthoops.com/daquein-mcneil-2013/

April 16, 2013

Going back two and three years ago the high major interest in McNeil was substantial and he was being tracked by the likes of Marquette and Louisville. Over time the interest fell and when he committed to FIU last fall (his only official visit) we believe all of his other offers were from mid-majors such as Richmond and Rhode Island.

Thanks for the info! His 3pt % and FT % are concerning.

I think this would be a great pick-up if true, if he is able to drive and dish like they say he can, he could be a perfect PG next to Andre or Maverick. And hopefully over time, he is able to develop an outside shot (I'm trusting Pitino to develop players much better than Tubby ever did). And at 6'3'', he could be a menace on defense at the point guard position. I'm intrigued.

I think this would be a great pick-up if true, if he is able to drive and dish like they say he can, he could be a perfect PG next to Andre or Maverick. And hopefully over time, he is able to develop an outside shot (I'm trusting Pitino to develop players much better than Tubby ever did). And at 6'3'', he could be a menace on defense at the point guard position. I'm intrigued.

That's the way I see it too.

From some of the comments on this kid, I'm guessing Pitino is bringing in a player who is a character guy, a gamer with athleticism that shows up every practice and every game. I'm hoping this is a kid who helps set the type of example from day 1 that the coach wants to see. This team needs that. Hopefully the shooting comes along in time.

He's a spring recruit. 99% of the top 150 kids were already committed and signed somewhere before Coach P got here. What in the world do you expect? Wait until 2014.

+1 McNeil's top end maybe fan favorite. The program changers will be signed next fall and the next.

per Amelia: Other than FIU, McNeil has received offers from Louisville, Oklahoma, Richmond, Rutgers, VCU and Washington according to ESPN.com.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/203264471.html

Go Gophers!!

If Shaka offered him, we can rest easy. As we all know, Shaka is the greatest coach who has ever lived. But seriously that is a good offer list, but are we really to believe he chose Richard over Rick?

If Shaka offered him, we can rest easy. As we all know, Shaka is the greatest coach who has ever lived. But seriously that is a good offer list, but are we really to believe he chose Richard over Rick?

I don't think we know the whole story with these "offers" that McNeil has or had. He may have had them at one time but maybe teams backed off because of academics or something.

He fell off the recruiting end just like Alex Foster but I believe Foster still had some major offers.

I don't think we know the whole story with these "offers" that McNeil has or had. He may have had them at one time but maybe teams backed off because of academics or something.

This info might help...
April 16, 2013

I'd probably rather have McNeil over Rector. Though I'd probably rather have Forte over both of those guys(different Pos. I know). If this becomes true, we should get a good back up/4-year role player(though I'd be up for him proving me wrong and being better.)

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 13m

Former Florida International commit Daquein McNeil - a 2013 PG from Vermont Academy - has committed to Minnesota, his coach tells me.

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow 26s
Confirmed the #Gophers received a commitment from Baltimore PG Daquein McNeil, former FIU recruit.

Done deal according to Marcus. Looks like tweets are reports and can be accurate, FTB. :D

A Pitino system needs quick guards with good hands and a feel for the pick and roll. I think he fits that mold pretty well from what I've seen and read. However, this team also needs shooters in the worst way imaginable and unfortunately that's not a strength of his. Defenses will collapse/help all day on the pick and roll or just flat out zone us all year if we have only 1 legit outside shooter (Dre).

I see McNeil as a solid addition in implementing the press and on the break but until we find another shooter, his pick and roll skills may be pointless.

A Pitino system needs quick guards with good hands and a feel for the pick and roll. I think he fits that mold pretty well from what I've seen and read. However, this team also needs shooters in the worst way imaginable and unfortunately that's not a strength of his. Defenses will collapse/help all day on the pick and roll or just flat out zone us all year if we have only 1 legit outside shooter (Dre).

I see McNeil as a solid addition in implementing the press and on the break but until we find another shooter, his pick and roll skills may be pointless.

Austin was one of the top 3 pt shooters in the conference until our tailspin, I think he'll end up being our best 3 pt shooter this coming year. Pitino also seems to think there is still hope for Oto. Then there is also Mav who has legitimately improved his outside shooting every year. I don't think it's as dire as you are making it out to be, but I agree in the sense that we could use some more shooters if they are also a good fit in Pitino's system.

Getting a point guard is great news for this team! Now let's get a big physical pf!

Top Bottom