Replays after touchdowns

RailBaronYarr

Reaction score
Did anyone else think it was weird that they started doing replays on the board right after the PAT? I understand where they were going with it by playing the audio with it from the radio broadcast to add some spice, but it was poorly executed (one time they didn't even play the TD play, just the run leading up to it), and the timing totally kills some atmosphere. I'm sorry but the Rouser should be played right after the PAT. Fans are still energized from the score, and it brings a much bigger MN spellout. When the band had to wait for the clip to be done everyone had already calmed down and many sat down. Waiting also gives little chance of the Rouser being heard on TV (helping build our brand). Just seemed way too NFL to me and marginalized our school song and tradition.

They did this the Northwestern game as well. Fine idea to play the highlight with audio on scores, but it absolutely has to be after the rouser.

I completely agree, I thought it absolutely killed the excitement of the score to wait to play the Rouser. If I would have wanted to watch the game on tv, I'd have stayed home!

I didn't have a problem with it. Still did the Rouser after the score. Too nit-picky for my tastes, but that's just my opinion.

I was thinking the exact same thing and I hope they scrap this sequence of events after scores. Rail Barron hit the nail on the head. Is it just me or are they also playing the half-rouser more now too? I get playing the half version between the score and conversion but it seems like it has been more half versions with spell out after the conversion too this year.

I don't mind the replay with radio audio... just think it should be during the commercial break after the rouser.

I didn't really notice what was going on between the touchdown and the Rouser (though I was annoyed by the delay), but from what y'all are saying, it sounds like it was the replays. I'd like to see that stop.

I was thinking the exact same thing and I hope they scrap this sequence of events after scores. Rail Barron hit the nail on the head. Is it just me or are they also playing the half-rouser more now too? I get playing the half version between the score and conversion but it seems like it has been more half versions with spell out after the conversion too this year.

I don't mind the replay with radio audio... just think it should be during the commercial break after the rouser.

As a former bando, it was always first half of Rouser right after a TD, then the second half of the Rouser after the PAT (goes to the coda and spellout). After a 3-pt conversion it was always just the second half. Interceptions and really big plays was the same thing. So I haven't noticed much of a difference.

And yeah, like I said, the replays themselves are a good idea - radio announcers are often pretty exciting and seeing the replay with a great clip can be cool, but the timing of it just killed excitement for me and many people around me. Also, at least play the TD replay :)

I had friends in town from TX that I brought to the game. During one of these sequences my friend turned to me and said "You guys need to work on that." I couldn't disagree with him. The energy was killed and the timing seems strange.

I agree with the vast majority here - this was a huge screw up. It seems like we always have little amateur-hour like this - the out-of-town scoreboard abbreviations, the vendor cash registers/lack thereof... The good thing is, usually they seem to correct them.

Here's the issue: there is not enough time to:
1. play full rouser with spellout
2. play replay with radio audio play-by-play
3. play commercials on the big board with audio

Ideally, they'd do the normal sequence as they've always done (i.e. half the rouser between TD & PAT, full rouser with spellout after PAT) then do replay with the radio audio. However, then they'd lose a few bucks because it would cut into the time they play commercials on the big board during the TV break. So I'd just say, if they're not willing to give up those few dollars, then just forget the replay with radio audio. They can still run the video replay during the full rouser with spellout as they always used to.

Here's the issue: there is not enough time to:
1. play full rouser with spellout
2. play replay with radio audio play-by-play
3. play commercials on the big board with audio

Not sure how that's true considering they made the choice already to add in the replay with audio to the mix. It doesn't generate revenue (no ads on the screen during the replay), and they were able to run ads/commercials AFTER the Rouser with spellout. I'm assuming the AD didn't take a hit on revenue to add this in, so why not just change the order of Rouser and Replay w/audio?

Yeah, RBY, actually now that I think about it, you're right. It's the same amount of time either way. So just hold the replay w/audio til after the full rouser. And someone else mentioned it, but they really screwed up Barker's 63-yd TD - showing the previous run instead. A guy who went to his only game of the season stormed into my cubicle this morning and was upset about not getting to see the replay of it - everyone noticed.

Maybe they need a control room in Williams Arena to get it right in TCF Bank Stadium. :)

Top Bottom