Remaining Schedule; Predict the Final Record

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
We're at 18-3 (6-3) with 9 games left plus the B10 tourney. Here's the remaining schedule:

2/4 at Michigan State, currently 17-3 (7-1) - Could this be the next signature win? Tubby has six days to rest and prepare and MSU plays on 2/1 versus a respectably physical Penn State team. Did Northwestern open the door for another letdown in East Lansing? Prediction: W
2/7 at Ohio State, currently 14-5 (4-4) - tOSU is slowly putting things together and is poised to make a late surge. David Lighty may return soon and gigantor freshman B.J. Mullens has scored double-digits in his past 7 games. Both the Gophs and tOSU have tough games preceeding their rematch. tOSU goes up against a solid Purdue team on 2/3. But knowing how physical and chippy their first matchup was at the barn, don't expect either team to come out flat. Prediction: L
2/10 Indiana - Verdell Jones get absolutely hounded by the barnyard for his rejection of Tubby's recruiting advances. Indiana plays tough in the first half but falls flat in the second. Prediction: W
2/14 at Penn State, currently 16-5 (5-3) - PSU comes of a tough road game at Purdue on 2/11 and battles against Wisconsin, at MSU, and at Michigan. They could come into the showdown with Gophers with a four game losing streak and hungry for a win at home, or, if they continue to overachieve, they could come in ranked (I'll be ripped mercilessly for this one, and rightly so)! Taylor Battle vs. Al Nolen will be the story of the game. Cornley versus Johnson/Sampson will be an entertaining undercard. This will be one of the most entertaining Gophers games on the remainder of the schedule. Expect a lot of back and forth. Prediction: L on a last second brickshot from Battle and putback by Cornley
2/19 at Michigan - The Gophers return to the situs of Tubby's 400th win and take on an enigmatic Wolverines team. What happened to the Michigan team that beat Duke earlier this year? Will Abu Shamala serve up another shockingly mysterious thumping in Ann Arbor? I hope I'm wrong here, but I see Michigan solving our little run against them much the same way we solved the illini curse. Prediction: L in a big letdown game (but stay tuned for the rematch my friends)
2/22 Northwestern - No way we lose this game. Tubby has the troops ready to go. They play with a chip on their shoulders and rout an otherwise respectable Northwestern team. Prediction: Big W
2/26 at Illinois - The Illini have only one loss at home (to Clemson) this year. Bruce will have his players up for this game. They'll put up more than 36 points but will they solve Minnesota's defense completely? Chances are that their bigs and our bigs will switch performances from the first meeting. I'd like to think that Tubby has them figured out, but that weasely punk Bruce Weber is no pushover himself. Prediction: L
3/3-3/5 Wisconsin - It is hard to get a read on this game this far out, mainly because the Badgers are solid but a mess at the same time. Flip a coin here, but I'm going to bet on the return of a wild Clem Haskins-era-like crowd that wills the Gophers to a season sweep of the Badgers. Prediction: W
3/7-3/8 Michigan - It'll be a wild game on senior night. JAS is 1-8 from the field but Jon Williams puts up 11 points, 8 boards, and 4 blocks. Kevin Payton transfers to Long Beach State just prior to the game and a freak snow storm limits the home crowd attendance. The crazies that make it are liquored up and ready to rumble. Gophers survive an absolute clinic by Manny Harris to win in overtime. Prediction: W

The Gophers go 5-4 for a 23-7 (11-7) record going into the Big Ten tourney. They win 2 in the Big Ten tournament and go dancing at 25-8.

@ MSU -- L
@ OSU -- W
Indiana -- W
@ PSU -- W
@ MICH -- W
Northwestern -- W
@ Illinois -- L
Wisconsin -- W
Michigan -- W

The OSU game is the big swing game for me. If we win that, I think we will get on a serious roll and finish 7-2. But if we lose that AND MSU, I think it's possible we could finish 5-4.

Either way, I think we are looking at 11-7 or better. But in this prediction, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we go 13-5 in B10 play.

Losses to MSU, tOSU, MI, and IL

Wins vs. IN, MI (@ MI), WI, PSU, NW

4-5

Overall: 22-8, 10-8 Conference Record

1 BT Tourney win...overall: 23-9

i'll be at my first Gophers hoops game at tOSU, i'll do whatever i can from my nose bleed seat to cheer them onto victory.

I Think?

23-7 overall, 11-7 in Big 10. No idea which games are W and L but 5-4 record the ROTW.

Final record

MSU - L
OSU - L
IN - W
PSU - L
MI - W
NW - W
IL - L
WI - W
MI - W
B10 - 1W
24 - 8
NCAA - 1W
25 - 9

Let's see here. Do I predict the Gophs win out? OR do I predict the Gophs lose out. I think I feel very strongly both ways, so I would predict that we will win some, and we will lose some. I just don't know which. Each game on its own. The score at the start of each game is 0-0, from there I will let the teams decide, one game at a time.

Does the Northwestern game now look like less of a sure thing? Or is Wisky just not very good at all?

The fact that these are young kids means we could lose any of these games (except Indiana at the Barn, that just isn't possible). The fact that Tubby is our coach means we could win any of them. The frosh keep getting better while the schedule gets tougher. Currently My mind is entertaining visions of the Gophs (with six days of superb prep by Tubby) taking it to Sparty in Lansing.

Top Bottom