Reid, Tyus, Rashad and Whitehead play in elite 24 tonight on ESPNU

This could be the most inane comment I've seen on this site- and that's saying something.

I really don't think any combination of Indiana players current or former could've beaten Hummel, Moore, and Johnson.

This could be the most inane comment I've seen on this site- and that's saying something.

Historically speaking, Purdue is a better program than Indiana.

In the version of history that ends before 1940 I wouldn't argue with you. :cool:

Jerry Meyer changed his prediction from Minnesota to IU a moment ago, but as you guys have noted they were wrong on Newton. FWIW.

In the version of history that ends before 1940 I wouldn't argue with you. :cool:

Jerry Meyer changed his prediction from Minnesota to IU a moment ago, but as you guys have noted they were wrong on Newton. FWIW.

the fact that he changed his prediction doesn't bother me since most analysts consider IU the favorite but there is still the Robert Johnson thing working for us, if IU is considered the favorite for both of them but Johnson is expected to commit first then that is all the reasurance i need

I was surprised to read Jones shared MVP honors with Whitehead for the orange team. Whitehead earned MVP for that team, but apparently they had to pick two MVPs from the team so they chose Jones as well. I didn't think Jones played all that well to earn an MVP honor - he also didn't strike me as a great NBA prospect, but that kind of makes sense because Coach K has made a living at getting 5* recruits who are moderate NBA prospects to play for him for four years. At any rate, I thought Justin Jackson outperformed Jones and deserved MVP honors for the orange team ahead of him.

I was quite obviously being sarcastic to get a rise out of our friend from Indiana. Things on this site are taken WAY too literally and seriously. Indiana is a great program. No doubt about it. I just don't like seeing them succeed. Hate me for it.

Remember when they sucked and Crean had the students rushing the court against the first ranked team they beat? They acted as if they had just won the NCAA championship. That is Indiana basketball. Gross.

I was quite obviously being sarcastic to get a rise out of our friend from Indiana. Things on this site are taken WAY too literally and seriously. Indiana is a great program. No doubt about it. I just don't like seeing them succeed. Hate me for it.

Indiana WAS a great program. It is now just one of many GOOD programs.

Watched quite a bit of the second half last night. Whitehead looks like a talent, no doubt. He certainly wasn't afraid to jack it up. Looks like he's never seen a shot he doesn't like. His shoulder probably needed ice after the game.

+1 Things are so fluid in college basketball these days, change so much from year to year with all the early entries, the transfers, coaches moving around. Basically you're as good as the best 3 or 4 players you recruited in the last couple years. No reason Minnesota can't be great if they land a few of these 4* and 5* players for which we're finalists.

Whitehead may be a "volume shooter" anyway, but in the E24 he was particularly trying to put on a show at the hometown Brooklyn playground.

I would say 5 national titles in a program's history would qualify them as a GREAT program, but then I remembered the Gopher football team... :D. Indiana based on history, reputation, recruiting clout, recent success, fan base, and just culture is a great program and you CAN'T dispute that. If Indiana is a GOOD program than the only great program would be Duke. Can you live with that statement?

+1 Things are so fluid in college basketball these days, change so much from year to year with all the early entries, the transfers, coaches moving around. Basically you're as good as the best 3 or 4 players you recruited in the last couple years. No reason Minnesota can't be great if they land a few of these 4* and 5* players for which we're finalists.

Whitehead may be a "volume shooter" anyway, but in the E24 he was particularly trying to put on a show at the hometown Brooklyn playground.

only caught the last half of that game but can someone tell me why Jones got Co MVP? Game management? He didnt light up the court that night did he? If so, i must have missed something (1st half)

Reputation. Maybe steadiness. But no, Jones didn't have an eye popping game by any means.

I think Jones is a fantastic player, but I don't think he's the best player in the country. He may not even be the best PG. He seems to have slightly too much hype, but that is understandable considering people from Minnesota will have a natural bias toward him. He certainly isn't the best NBA point guard prospect.

Man, after skimming the game recap, it looks even more like it was a real upset that Jones won co-MVP honors. He had 7 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Justin Jackson had 19 points (9-10 from the field) and 5 boards. Granted, some of Jackson's shots were easy to make, but still you practically never see 7/5/4 beat out 19 and 5 for MVP honors. Mudiay definitely outperformed Jones, and I think Chiozza had a similar quality performance to Jones.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/co...d-emmanuel-mudiay-stand-out-at-2013-elite-24/

I know nothing about this MVP stuff. Questions: Is this MVP of one game? Was it the championship game, at least? If it's MVP of an non-championship game, that is absolutely pathetic beyond words.

I know nothing about this MVP stuff. Questions: Is this MVP of one game? Was it the championship game, at least? If it's MVP of an non-championship game, that is absolutely pathetic beyond words.

It's just one game. It's basically a showcase game for the top players in the country and it signifies the end of the summer circuit.

Top Bottom