Regarding Bellotti-does anyone remember

Doc1001

Reaction score
why he quit coaching Oregon? What reasons did he give? And why did he quit the AD job after such a very short time. Anyone from Oregon around?

He left coaching to be AD. He left AD because it had a different skill set required and he didn't have it.

I don't think it was that he didn't have it I think it was because he didn't like it. He resigned to accept a job at ESPN. He wasn't fired.

No expert on Oregon

But didn't his departure from the AD position have a lot to do with massive disciplinary problems in the football program, combined with the tanking of Ernie Kent and the basketball team?

But didn't his departure from the AD position have a lot to do with massive disciplinary problems in the football program, combined with the tanking of Ernie Kent and the basketball team?

He fired Ernie Kent but knew he was leaving so he didn't participate in the hiring. I think it is a stretch to say it had something to do with football discipline. He may not have liked dealing with Blount's situation but it isn't like anybody pushed him out. Most of their issues like Masoli came up after he was gone if the timeline in my head is right.

Oregon fans just say it was obvious he didn't likes having an office job and wanted back in to coaching.

Bellotti was forced out as AD very quickly because of some issue with his contract. Google would have it. It was something to do with the fact he had some enormous contract that wasn't in writing or wasn't cleared by the board of regents there or something of that ilk. It gave the appearance that he was just hanging around making millions under the table. If I am way off I apologize but I think I am right.

Bellotti was forced out as AD very quickly because of some issue with his contract. Google would have it. It was something to do with the fact he had some enormous contract that wasn't in writing or wasn't cleared by the board of regents there or something of that ilk. It gave the appearance that he was just hanging around making millions under the table. If I am way off I apologize but I think I am right.

You have false statements mixed with truths.

No, he wasn't forced out. It is however true that his contract was never put in to writing but that didn't become known until he came to resign and they were trying to figure what he was owed. Legislators in Oregon threw a big fit over it (deservedly so) and it went to court. However, they ended up paying out what had allegedly been the verbal agreement. I think there was some talk about writing a new law in Oregon to prevent it from happening again.

Top Bottom