REFS WERE BRUTAL!!!!!!

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
Went to the game today (section 108)....thought the refs sucked but I decided to hold off judgement until I watched the game. Upon further review, they were worse than I originally thought:

1. Penalty on the opening kickoff on Thomas....absolutely non-existent. Even the TV guys commented on that one.

2. BPT's unsportsmanlike conduct call....ARE U FRICKIN' KIDDING ME???? This is after Toom is jawing on every catch and UW's free safety flexes after taking a shot at Decker! WTF?

3. The hold on #26 on Stoudemire's 3rd long return.....where? It's NOT there.

4. The chop block? NOT THERE. TV guys commented on this call. I've watched football for over 30+ years and I've never seen a chop block called on the 1 yard line. BRUTAL. Cost Gophs points.

5. The holding call on McGarry (sp?) in the 3rd quarter is the type of hold that could be called on every play. The flag came out after it Eskridge was tackled for a 1st and goal at the 2.

6. I counted 3 times that UW's offensive tackle moved early....no call.

7. Hauden was borderline roughed on his punt out of the endzone early 2nd quarter...no call.

8. Decker clearly interfered with on the long pass in the 1st quarter....no call.

9. Wisconsin 200+yards rushing....no holding calls on running plays. Give me a break.

Probably didn't cost us the game, but this crew should be relegated to 9 man football games.

They where the worst refs i have ever seen period

Need to change our record to 3.5 & 1.5

Stop with the officiating cost of the game crap. It's weak. If we take care of the things we can control we might have won.

For example, why are we passing on the first & goal play where the chopblock was called? Why even try a pass? Run the ball & you score 6. Maybe it even gives your RB some confidence for the rest of the game.

The holding call on #88 (?) that nullified Eskridge's run was a very obvious call, IMO.

Stop making pisspoor passing decisions. Weber's rifle to the RB that went off his hands for an interception comes to mind. Put some touch on your passes, Adam. Not long afterwards, he throws a pass with nothing on that doesn't make it to the receiver. In that case, he needed to put some mustard on his throw! Finally, Adam needs to do a better job of deciding when to throw the ball away. Our last couple possessions come to mind here.

I am as disappointed in another loss to the Badgers, but in retrospect, they manhandled our OL and have another freakishly big/strong RB that ran our defense into the ground. I give credit where it is due. On the otherhand, how many times did the announcers note how WI was outflanking our defense with their running schemes and we didn't figure it out!? That is on our coaches.

Overall, I am disappointed but not surprised with the outcome of another rivalry game. I look forward to a time when we have both player and coaching talent to match up with other Big Ten teams.

I guess you missed the 10 holding calls that the refs did not call om Minny.

Speaking about Decker, he push's off on every pass play.

It's called separation.

If you knew what you were talking about or had any inkling of the rules you wouldn't spew this BS.

Which somehow disproves the whole horrible refs thing?

They were abysmal. I didn't see this missed pass interference call from the first half on your list, either...how they don't call that is beyond me. There were a number of penalties against Wisconsin or missed calls against us later in the game that I didn't see clearly from the stands (whether or not they were there is another matter), so I'm not saying the refs swung the game. But there was some atrocious work in that game.

Were all of the missed calls in the favor of the Badgers?

Stop with the officiating cost of the game crap. It's weak. If we take care of the things we can control we might have won.

For example, why are we passing on the first & goal play where the chopblock was called? Why even try a pass? Run the ball & you score 6. Maybe it even gives your RB some confidence for the rest of the game.

The holding call on #88 (?) that nullified Eskridge's run was a very obvious call, IMO.

Stop making pisspoor passing decisions. Weber's rifle to the RB that went off his hands for an interception comes to mind. Put some touch on your passes, Adam. Not long afterwards, he throws a pass with nothing on that doesn't make it to the receiver. In that case, he needed to put some mustard on his throw! Finally, Adam needs to do a better job of deciding when to throw the ball away. Our last couple possessions come to mind here.

I am as disappointed in another loss to the Badgers, but in retrospect, they manhandled our OL and have another freakishly big/strong RB that ran our defense into the ground. I give credit where it is due. On the otherhand, how many times did the announcers note how WI was outflanking our defense with their running schemes and we didn't figure it out!? That is on our coaches.

Overall, I am disappointed but not surprised with the outcome of another rivalry game. I look forward to a time when we have both player and coaching talent to match up with other Big Ten teams.

why are we passing on the one?........well the last time we were on the one was northwestern when we were trying to put the game away.......run on 1st and stuffed......run on second and stuffed..........lob to weber on third down and touchdown

The holding call on McGarry was legit, IMO

But the calls were bad both ways. We fumbled and it should have been a TD for them, but it was ruled down by contact.

But the call of Thomas was horrid as were the illegal motions not called on their right tackle

I personally love the holding call on number 26, which is Rallis, who is out for the season and wasnt even suited up, thats always entertaining that the refs pay such close attention to who was holding

Thank goodness for the refs. If not for them, we wouldn't be 13-2 in the last 15.

Hopefully we will get one of the crews next year from one of the 13 wins so we can go 14-2.

First, for the record, I don't think the refs cost us the game. It's the Big Ten and pretty much every week there are several unbelievably bad calls. Some go our way, some don't. I was at the game (and didn't record it) so I didn't have the luxury of seeing some of the calls mentioned above.

One question though - on the BADger touchdown where the receiver caught the ball at the very back of the endzone - it looked on the replay at the game that his first foot down was clearly out of bounds. It wasn't overturned. Anyone that watched at home have a different view of it, or was this another blown call?

Went to the game today (section 108)....thought the refs sucked but I decided to hold off judgement until I watched the game. Upon further review, they were worse than I originally thought:

1. Penalty on the opening kickoff on Thomas....absolutely non-existent. Even the TV guys commented on that one.

2. BPT's unsportsmanlike conduct call....ARE U FRICKIN' KIDDING ME???? This is after Toom is jawing on every catch and UW's free safety flexes after taking a shot at Decker! WTF?

3. The hold on #26 on Stoudemire's 3rd long return.....where? It's NOT there.

4. The chop block? NOT THERE. TV guys commented on this call. I've watched football for over 30+ years and I've never seen a chop block called on the 1 yard line. BRUTAL. Cost Gophs points.

5. The holding call on McGarry (sp?) in the 3rd quarter is the type of hold that could be called on every play. The flag came out after it Eskridge was tackled for a 1st and goal at the 2.

6. I counted 3 times that UW's offensive tackle moved early....no call.

7. Hauden was borderline roughed on his punt out of the endzone early 2nd quarter...no call.

8. Decker clearly interfered with on the long pass in the 1st quarter....no call.

9. Wisconsin 200+yards rushing....no holding calls on running plays. Give me a break.

Probably didn't cost us the game, but this crew should be relegated to 9 man football games.

The ref for the game has had a hard on for the gophers for a long time, that being said:

1. The return game has become very undisciplined and it cost us on nearly every return. This has been a consistent problem under Brewster and is usually worse in games with a lot of emotion. We may be doomed by the expectations.

2. Another hallmark of Brewster's tenure is stupid, stupid, stupid undiscpined unsportsmanlike penaties. I don't care how bad the other team is at this, you can't stand over a receiver and taunt him EVER without getting called. This stupidity cost us the game more than anything else, utlimately

3. If your talking about the one I think you are, there is a clear hold on the play, although I agree it was not intrinsic to the play and could have/should have been overlooked.

4. Actually, Speilman says its not there, Griese pointed out it was. It wasn't intentional watching the replay, but its there and tied to the big fat slow offensive line that has been built. The center couldn't get off his NT block to get to his guy. If he does, this doesn't get called.

5. Come on. Without this hold, its as likely eskeridge gets dropped for a loss as it is he breaks the tackle and still gets the yardage. This was a hold and should have been called.

6. Griese commented on this too. It was more than three times.

7. Borderline roughed? He wasn't even touched. As he gets experience, he'll learn to fall quicker and we MIGHT get a running into the kicker penalty at best on that play, 5 yards, punt over.

8. They did let some contact go on both teams, yes.

9. There were some holds, but in reality, when you have the rep as being a disciplined football team running the ball, as Wisconsin is, you get away with it sometimes, as we used to when we were known as a fundamentally strong zone blocking offensive line. I didn't see anything that screamed holding that was key to any of the long runs during the game or after watching the game on tv tonight when I got back home.

At the end of the day, the refs were bad, very bad, but they didn't cost us the game. Giving up 300 yards of rushing cost us the game. Lack of discipline cost us the game. The total waste of a time out in the 3rd quarter cost us the game, not adjusting to the changes that Wisconsin made to our offense in the second half cost us the game, not being able to get a key stop on defense after we pulled within 3 in the 4th quarter cost us the gaem, on the last drive having NO clue how to run a two minute offense, cost us the game, Throwing 45 yards down field instead of taking 10 - 15 yards 3x cost us the game before anything the refs did.

The fact of the matter is that Wisconsin is not a very good football team and neither are we. They did everything in their power to blow this game and we still couldn't take advantage of it. Sherels made a good play to get us back in the game (btw, there were a ton of people who'd left already that started coming back towards the stadium when it erupted on that play -- hope that learns the bastards to stay in their seats until the final gun sounds) but we were undisciplined (again) and out coached by one of worst coaches in the big ten.

The final score was closer than the game itself. We should've won that game, as we should've won the Cal game. But we didn't and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I'm sick of losing to Wisconsin too, but I'm not willing to give anyone on our sidelines a kitchen pass on this game. This was not the Purdue game of a few years ago where the idiot refs (I think it was this crew) didn't notice that more than 4 seconds passed before the ball was snapped on the FG to tie the game when there was 1 sec on the clock and then disallowed a touchdown in OT because they didn't "understand" the paint scheme in the end zone that was changed because of a similar mistake a few years earlier because the contrast of the yellow on white wasn't clear enough so we lost. NOTE: While there are so many other reasons on Mason and staff as to why we didn't win that game like yesterdays, at least these were two calls that directly effected the outcome. Let's save the "let's kill the refs" chant for those games, not games we piss away.

How about Kendricks last TD catch?

His foot is CLEARLY on the line....2nd foot is obviously out???? I couldn't believe Griese's comments, something like "well his toe comes down first,...." His whole foot has to be in? Right? The back of his foot is on the line....WTF is replay for if they can't overturn that call?

WTF is replay for is they can't overturn that call?

Funny..if that play was not in the end zone it wouldn't have been a completion. The logic apparently is that in the end zone the play stops once you have possession so when the toe touched the maroon the play was over. Where as on the sidelines he would have been out of play because after the toe came down on the green the heal came down out of bounds on the white which would rule the catch incomplete because play continues..right? or am I missing something?

if the toe touched first then its in, thats simple, and its been like that for as long as the game has been played, whether it was back of the endzone or sidelines

The bigger question is why do we average twice as many penalties as our competition? Sorry but this isn't coincidence after 5 games, something fishy going on with the zebras we have been assigned.
CaliGopher(actually CaliBadger) if Haudan was ruffed on that punt then it s/be free game to the punter. The guy clearly came in and hit him in the knee after the play and Haudan was like WTF to the ref.
The no-call on Decker getting helmet raped was bogus, yes Decker does get away with push offs...all good WR do.
Bunders fell down on the play, there was no intent and had no outcome on the play.

Sconnies TE's were holding all day long on our DE when they would put them in motion and crash down the end of the line, not one Fing call.

ButtFace should have penalized 15 yards to open the game for unsportsmanlike conduct for not having his team on the field for the anthem..bush league prick face drunken co-ed banger that he is.

Discipline is all in your erspective Cali gopher. If #2 from the badgers was held to the same standard as BPT he would have had 2 unsportsmanlike penalties for taunting our bench. On one play he almost runs into the side judge trying to pose for the gopher bench after makinga play.

and another thing if our kicker was touched or not the ref should be professional and ignore the player not wave him off in a very disrespectful manner.

what did their TD catch look like on TV. He looked like he was on the line from section 125.

Refs did not cost us this game but Big10 officials flat stink

I could say this about every crew every week in the Big 10 not for just Gopher game's but all the games. These guy's miss more calls then they make correctly then I think any other conference in the country. Big 10 Commisioner Delaney need's to take a long hard look at the head of officiating for Football in the conference and see if the crews can be upgraded because the current group hoses everyone in the conference with the exception of Michigan and Ohio State.

Don't disagree

Discipline is all in your erspective Cali gopher. If #2 from the badgers was held to the same standard as BPT he would have had 2 unsportsmanlike penalties for taunting our bench. On one play he almost runs into the side judge trying to pose for the gopher bench after makinga play.

and another thing if our kicker was touched or not the ref should be professional and ignore the player not wave him off in a very disrespectful manner.

what did their TD catch look like on TV. He looked like he was on the line from section 125.

I'm not saying Wisconsin shouldn't have been called for taunting at all. What I am saying is if you stand over the receiver and are undisciplined like BPT was, you take a risk on getting that call. Regardless of what happens around you, take care of your business, and the rest will take care of itself. BPT doesn't do that, the refs can't call it - regardless of how fair it was or not.

I thought Haugen got hit at the game, but the replay, while not a close up, doesn't show the WI player hitting him. Don't know what he said to the ref, but I agree, it looked bad on the ref
's part.

The TD catch was a catch. Not by much. At the game, I thought he was out too. Too bad our big scoreboard didn't bother to show a good angle of the replay so we could have seen it at the game.

CaliGopher(actually CaliBadger) [/QUOTE]

You don't have to agree with me, but calling me a badger is taking it too far.

I never have been, nor will I ever be a badger fan, and really there is nothing worse you could call me, so don't agree, but stop calling me names or assuming I'm something I'm not just because you don't like that we lost to the badgers again Saturday.

I'm sick of losing to them, and sick of the excuses for Brewster blowing the last two games against them. We could have/should have won both of them, even though we were thoroughly outplayed Saturday, we still should have won. Coaching cost us the game. Again.

I'm not saying Wisconsin shouldn't have been called for taunting at all. What I am saying is if you stand over the receiver and are undisciplined like BPT was, you take a risk on getting that call. Regardless of what happens around you, take care of your business, and the rest will take care of itself. BPT doesn't do that, the refs can't call it - regardless of how fair it was or not.

I thought Haugen got hit at the game, but the replay, while not a close up, doesn't show the WI player hitting him. Don't know what he said to the ref, but I agree, it looked bad on the ref
's part.

The TD catch was a catch. Not by much. At the game, I thought he was out too. Too bad our big scoreboard didn't bother to show a good angle of the replay so we could have seen it at the game.

I agree that this was too bad. Unfortunately there are some B10 rules in place that govern that stuff. The school isn't supposed to show replays that show certain things (missed penalties, really close plays, things that will encite the crowd, etc). Its a gray area as to what falls under this category and the school's staff make that decision on the spot, but important replays like that usually do and I was surprised we got to see the replay we did.

Mason was criticized all the time for his teams lacke of discipline. You can hardly find a college or pro game where holding or blocking in the back are not called on kick off returns. I guess most college and pro teams are not disciplined and coaches should be let go.

Top Bottom