Refs Robbed Nebraska on Gopher's Game Tying TD

DarthGopher

Reaction score
A false start could've been called, and it would've wiped out the Daniel Jackson touchdown.

Daniel Jackson's game-tying touchdown catch in Minnesota's season-opening win over Nebraska was so good that there are already T-shirts of the catch available for purchase, but lost in the bedlam was what appears to have been a missed false start call against the Gophers.
It was 4th and 10 from the Nebraska 13-yard line and the Gophers were trailing 10-3 when redshirt sophomore quarterback took the shotgun snap and found Jackson for the touchdown. But the replay shows Minnesota left tackle Aireontae Ersery and left guard Karter Shaw clearly moving before the ball was snapped.

Maybe it was to make up for the blown non-PI call earlier.

They call the false start, Jackson still makes that in and out move on the NE cornerback, and still catches the tying TD pass.

Remember, on a false start, the play is dead before any route is run, and the Gophers will probably still call the same routes.

Missed calls happen in games. That's just the way it is. Every team has to deal with that. The penalty would not have ended the game. The Gophers still would have gotten another play just 5 yards back. Nebraska had plenty of time to score the game-winning field goal after the TD anyway.

No, it was a clear false start. In fact, Ersary was early on multiple plays.
BFD. Missed call. Nebraska got their fair share as well.
Hilarious. Another expert heard from.

Last edited:

Seems refs have given a lot more slack in recent years on false starts, giving fractions of seconds of leniency here or there…my guess is that is decreed from up on high, as lots of whistles on false start penalties can really ruin the game for the audience. While it appeared that perhaps he false started on that and maybe other plays, truth is the level of error on those plays seems within the current window that refs have been calling.

We've seen this multiple times, the ref missed this, the ref shouldn't have called that, and the game would have gone the other way.

At the end of the day, if your team finds themselves in the position where 1 blown ref call changes the game, you've got more important things to worry about (and yes, this applies to our Gophers too, even though we won).

Sports Illustrated used to considered at or near the top of Sports Journalism. It now prostitutes its name out to click bait. This piece of trash article was written by the Minnesota owner of "Bring Me the News."

The refs blow calls probably every play. Who knows how that plays out over the course of the game.

We've seen this multiple times, the ref missed this, the ref shouldn't have called that, and the game would have gone the other way.

At the end of the day, if your team finds themselves in the position where 1 blown ref call changes the game, you've got more important things to worry about (and yes, this applies to our Gophers too, even though we won).
If we had lost the game, I know I would have been more concerned with our offenses lack of production than thr one PI call (which was an awful call). Like my dead told me when I was a young kid griping about the refs on the way home from one of my hockey games: when your team doesn't make any mistakes, and you still lose the game, that's when it's time to blame the refs.

Ersery was moving "early" almost the whole game. This is actually something that is taught, at the very highest levels of OL play.

Thing is, it really require the entire OL to be moving at the same time in order to avoid a penalty.

On that play, he was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a count early. You'd like to see the entire OL moving about a half-count early. If they all do it, and do it well, the refs can't call it. They just know it doesn't look quite right.

Yes, it's a for-profit business.

The si.com/fannation/ are not really SI articles. It's a mutually beneficial "trick", to get Google searchers to think it's SI but really it's not, while they try to eventually drive that click traffic to the real SI site.

I noticed the movement early from the stands. "Robbed" is a stupid way of putting it though. It wasn't a hold or a receiver setting a pick to get someone wide open. Ersery moving a fraction of a second early provided no real advantage on the play where you could call that touchdown "stolen". If anything....the play is blown dead prior and they do it again from five yards back.

If we had lost the game, I know I would have been more concerned with our offenses lack of production than thr one PI call (which was an awful call). Like my dead told me when I was a young kid griping about the refs on the way home from one of my hockey games: when your team doesn't make any mistakes, and you still lose the game, that's when it's time to blame the refs.
Via seance?

Ersery was moving "early" almost the whole game. This is actually something that is taught, at the very highest levels of OL play.

Thing is, it really require the entire OL to be moving at the same time in order to avoid a penalty.

On that play, he was about 1/2 to 3/4 of a count early. You'd like to see the entire OL moving about a half-count early. If they all do it, and do it well, the refs can't call it. They just know it doesn't look quite right.

I thought refs were lenient on his moving a split-moment soon on many plays. That's how they were calling it. He did move early and I thought should be a penalty on that one play but also the refs had been calling it more that way.

Gophers got a bad call when refs did not call a pass interference call against the Gophers -- MAJOR game changer.

So that's a wash. I call it both ways.

Nebraska fans are instead not looking at the whole picture, stepping on their lips like lying pouting kids. Big Red blew that game with the SHOCKING fumble with the game in hand and a QB that should have been run to the outside linebackers but instead threw THREE PICKS. Big Red babies fibbing again.

There were two missed PI calls in key situations that could have gone against Nebraska - one early and one late.

There was a 5 yard penalty called on them for crushing Kesich on the XP, while a lesser hit where our guy was thrown into the punter was a 15 yard first down.

The left tackle false start has become as much a part of the game as a sweaty undershirt - especially at the NFL level.

If they want to start calling it, start calling it. But they hadn't called it all game on either side and seldom call it in other games.

The refs missed a call? First time in NCAA history.

Top Bottom