Redshirts

Indiana Gopher

Indiana Gopher
Reaction score
From what I can find, it looks like we may be redshirting up to 17 freshman this year, headlined by the likes of Cheney, Clark, Guedet, and Adim-Madumera, etc. Information on prior years is a little hard to come by. It looks like we may have redshirted 16 players last year, 22 or more the year before that (although that # seems impossibly high), and 15-17 the year before. Does anyone have more accurate numbers? What I am trying to determine is whether our redshirt numbers are risning under P.J. Fleck, which I would suspect ia a very good sign!

From what I can find, it looks like we may be redshirting up to 17 freshman this year, headlined by the likes of Cheney, Clark, Guedet, and Adim-Madumera, etc. Information on prior years is a little hard to come by. It looks like we may have redshirted 16 players last year, 22 or more the year before that (although that # seems impossibly high), and 15-17 the year before. Does anyone have more accurate numbers? What I am trying to determine is whether our redshirt numbers are risning under P.J. Fleck, which I would suspect ia a very good sign!

Not sure on the numbers, but it'd be hard for them not to rise with the new rule allowing players to appear in four games and still keep the red shirt.

Bryce Williams and Zack Annexstad are redshirting as sophomores this year.

Nubin, Weeks and Lantz are the only true freshmen that won’t use a redshirt iirc. From accounts of the Sunday night scrimmages, our d-line is going to be better over the next few years. Maybe significantly better.

Nubin, Weeks and Lantz are the only true freshmen that won’t use a redshirt iirc. From accounts of the Sunday night scrimmages, our d-line is going to be better over the next few years. Maybe significantly better.

“How could they be better if they aren’t playing now?” Makes sense that the dline could be shaping up to be much more formidable that we are used to seeing. Fleck has signed a bunch of guys now that had a plethora of offers from P5 schools. This is something that we haven’t really seen here. Seems like a lot of years we really only have one impact guy like a Coughlin or Hageman and then have to piece the rest together with Walkons and lightly recruited guys. It’s too bad Nubin was not able to redshirt, I don’t recall seeing him on the field at all lately. Can’t remember if he was getting much run early in the year. Is he just playing on special teams?

Didn't P. J. Fleck mention that Gopher Football is a developmental program, and that he prefers HS recruits over JCs and transfers unless there is a void that needs to be filled? He prefers to red shirt as many players as possible for that reason.

A day will come when the Gophers can regularly get four or five 4-Stars with high 3-Stars in each class effectively putting the Gophers in the top 25 recruiting.

“How could they be better if they aren’t playing now?” Makes sense that the dline could be shaping up to be much more formidable that we are used to seeing. Fleck has signed a bunch of guys now that had a plethora of offers from P5 schools. This is something that we haven’t really seen here. Seems like a lot of years we really only have one impact guy like a Coughlin or Hageman and then have to piece the rest together with Walkons and lightly recruited guys. It’s too bad Nubin was not able to redshirt, I don’t recall seeing him on the field at all lately. Can’t remember if he was getting much run early in the year. Is he just playing on special teams?
Nubin has played every game on special teams. He’s gotten action at safety in a few of the blowout wins and would be the first player in if there was injury to AWj.

Top Bottom