Recruiting

I am not saying he is not talented. But, inorder to be a succesful football player you have to have the work ethic. If he does not work hardl he will just be like any other tackle. People are always pumping his ego, and since he is young he is buying into it. Work ethic + skill = starter. But like I said have you seen him play? 99% have not and if you did you might be scratching your head.

Are we really questioning the value of the number one recruit in college football?? really???

Just trying to cushion the blow for when he inevitably signs somewhere else.

According to Rivals we have 18 recruits (19 with Pride and 20 with Mcneal if he joins the Gophers). It sounds like we have 28 openings give or take 1 or 2, which means we have space for 8 or 9 players. With this in mind, what positions do we still need to fill? And, are there any must players? I will start. It appears to me that minimally we absolutely need 1 speedy/highly rated running back, 2 solid Dt's, 2 DB's, 1 WR, 1 LB, 1 DE and 1 special OT. As far as players go, besides Henderson I would love to see B Allen and/or Ash and Huff, Grant or Williams go here. Ok, your turn. In your opinion, what positions and/or players are necessary to make this an outstanding recruiting class for the Maroon and Gold?

Wait? Bryce McNeal?

some one saw McNeal at the game and of course the transfer speculation begins. To be fair we've been through this a time or two before and it turned out to be true. But it seems like a relatively small amount of smoke to expect any fire.

I've already mentally prepared for the likely loss of Seantrel. I would be much more hurt by the loss of Beau Allen, which I think a lot of people feel. Seantrel is the type of guy we can hope to retain, Beau is the type of guy we should retain. I can much more easily rationalize in my head why a guy would choose USC over us in comparison to Wisconsin.

Ditto McNeal to Clemson. I know McNeal is kind of a weird bird with a weird situation, but we can't be losing players to mid-level teams in other conferences.

I've already mentally prepared for the likely loss of Seantrel. I would be much more hurt by the loss of Beau Allen, which I think a lot of people feel. Seantrel is the type of guy we can hope to retain, Beau is the type of guy we should retain. I can much more easily rationalize in my head why a guy would choose USC over us in comparison to Wisconsin.

Ditto McNeal to Clemson. I know McNeal is kind of a weird bird with a weird situation, but we can't be losing players to mid-level teams in other conferences.

I agree 110-percent. Could not have said it better.

Lipscomb

If he chooses to come back to the U, how many years of eligibility will he have remaining since he is red shirting at a JC? Also did they fill his Scholarship this year, so if he does come back will it count as one of the scholarships we have left?

If he chooses to come back to the U, how many years of eligibility will he have remaining since he is red shirting at a JC? Also did they fill his Scholarship this year, so if he does come back will it count as one of the scholarships we have left?

Players have 5 years to play 4 (1 redshirt year + 4 that count). He is using the redshirt year so assuming he has to be in Juco for another year he would have 3 years to play 3 at Minnesota.

We are currently using the full allotment of scholarships (85-3 for APR=82). Between Campion requiring back surgery (grayshirting until January) and Lipscomb not qualifying it opened up an opportunity for Rengel (he had been asked to grayshirt to rehab his knee) to start school in the fall instead of January.

If/when Lipscomb commits to Minnesota when he finishes Juco he will be considered a recruit in that recruiting class and will count against our scholarships at that time.

Does he have to be a Juco for two years, is there no possibility of him coming in next year with 4 years left?

Does he have to be a Juco for two years, is there no possibility of him coming in next year with 4 years left?

I never heard officially whether he was a non-qualifier or if it had something to do with transcript issues when he transfered high schools after Katrina. If he was a non-qualifier (more likely scenario) he needs to graduate from junior college which would make him a 2011 recruit and leave him with 3 years of eligibility. If it was a transcript issue there is a chance he could fulfill the remaining course(s) and enroll for 2010 but I suspect we would be hearing a lot more about him right now if that was the case so that seems unlikely.

Ok Thank You! One more question, how bad is his knee injury?

Unknown....I wouldn't worry about Hasan that much if Calvin Phillips makes it over in a year. He's already a 4 star on scout but once again, he has baggage to go along with him.

I am not giving up on Lipscomb, I think if he wants to be a Gopher let's bring him in. He has the combination of nice size and speed that we need.

How fast is Phillips?

All of this is a mute point unless the O-Line gets much better.

Top Bottom