Recruiting

loki

Reaction score
According to Rivals we have 18 recruits (19 with Pride and 20 with Mcneal if he joins the Gophers). It sounds like we have 28 openings give or take 1 or 2, which means we have space for 8 or 9 players. With this in mind, what positions do we still need to fill? And, are there any must players? I will start. It appears to me that minimally we absolutely need 1 speedy/highly rated running back, 2 solid Dt's, 2 DB's, 1 WR, 1 LB, 1 DE and 1 special OT. As far as players go, besides Henderson I would love to see B Allen and/or Ash and Huff, Grant or Williams go here. Ok, your turn. In your opinion, what positions and/or players are necessary to make this an outstanding recruiting class for the Maroon and Gold?

It would be nice to grab a great RB. But I don't think we need depth there so I hope we don't recruit anymore unless we get a very good one. Right now my only big concern is CB's'. We need some numbers there to end this depth problem that seems to be ongoing at this position.

If you're talking about Bryce I don't think he would count as a recruit this year, he would count against the program scholarship limits but not the yearly ones. Unless i've missed something about it.

Forgive me but how do gray shirts work into the yearly count again?

I can't remember, I think they count against the next year. But I also think there are other issues at play as well. Grunk is the guy with the details. maybe he'll chime in. Bryce is in school at Clemson though right? So he's a transfer I believe if he comes here. Which would mean he would only count against the program schollie limits and not the yearly.

I think we will take as many lineman as possible. Any lineman who is willing to commit we will accept. We desperately need OL help, and we can always use DL. That being said, a Perfect way this class could end is with Henderson, B. Allen, Gayden, and Ash. Which is why I said PERFECT. I can dream can't I?

I think we will take as many lineman as possible. Any lineman who is willing to commit we will accept. We desperately need OL help, and we can always use DL. That being said, a Perfect way this class could end is with Henderson, B. Allen, Gayden, and Ash. Which is why I said PERFECT. I can dream can't I?

I would add J. Guy DT from TX and RB D. Williams as long as were dreaming ;)

Here are my thoughts for the remaining scholarships. These are assuming we have 8 more to give, and the current commits all stay with us.

Defensive Tackle--I would really like to have Beau Allen here, although Richard Ash is higher rated. Antonio Ford would also be good. Any of these three would be excellent.

Cornerback--Hopefully Price stays with us. From the list of guys that we appear to have a chance at-Rashad Knight and RobDonavan Lewis look like the best. Tyrone Bouie visited in September, is a 3-star according to Rivals, but does not have a real great offer list as of yet.

Defensive End--Nduka Onyeali or Tobi Okuyemi would fit well here. We may need more than one here.

Linebacker--We are listed as having high interest from Kevin Kisseberth from Klein, TX, a 3-star OLB. That would be fine with me. AJ Tarpley from Wayzata would also be very nice if we could get him away from Stanford. We appear to have some decent commits here so far and some young guys already on the roster who should be good here the next few years, so I would not be too disappointed if we did not get any more LBs.

Offensive Tackle--Obviously Seantrel Henderson would be huge here. According to Rivals, we have an offer to Dan Foose from New Jersey, 3 star 6'6" 310 lbs. That would be a good fall-back. One question on our offensive tackles-where do Brooks Michel and Ed Olson project as players? If they are tackles, I will be happy with this position if we don't get Seantrel.

Wide Receiver--Marquise Hill is a nice commit, but we probably need another here. Dominique Sanders, who visited this weekend, might fit here. He is listed as an athlete, so who knows where he would end up. Chris Hawkins and Toby Durham are both Rivals 3 stars and have both visited. I'd take either one, and I would be fine if we ended up with more than one WR beyond Hill.

Tight End--Not many people talk about this, but I really hope we find somebody here. We have seen how much damage Tow-Arnett has been able to do at times this year. If Hageman is now a DE, that means we have Eric Lair as the only pass-catching TE beyond this year unless we convert somebody that is on the current roster. We don't have many TEs on our recruting lists. The best appears to be Kendall Montgomery, Rivals 3-star from Florida.

Running Back--I am not as concerned if we don't get a big recruit here. We have Kirkwood committed, it looks like he could be good. If Calvin Phillips ends up here in 2011, we may have a real player. Also, Lamonte Edwards could end up as a RB. However, I certainly would not be uspet if we landed Josh Huff, Dontae Williams, Brandon Gainer, or Rajaan Bennett.

No doubt our depth is improving. To me, the class this year is solid so far, but needs some big recruits to really push it over the top. Here's hoping that we finish strong both in recruiting and on the field.

I think Edwards will be a stud 'Pound the Rock' RB. In the same mold as Minor from Michigan. Is this crazy? I have not seen much of him, but this is going off doing a little research and from what I have heard from others and on here. Or will he be a fast LB?

Either way is fine with me, and with Phillips in 2011 and Kirkwood this yr, as well as Edwards, I don't see the need for a stud RB. Now, Next year hopefully Lipscomb will come back, and with Phillips as well, that is down right SCARY at rb.

Very nice post, but it should be noted that Kisseberth is being recruited as a tight end.

as already said, very nice post, gopherbeef!

Concur! I'd like to see at least one big time pass rusher and a couple of physical defensive backs among the remaining recruits.

Defensive Tackle--I would really like to have Beau Allen here, although Richard Ash is higher rated. Antonio Ford would also be good. Any of these three would be excellent.
I wouldn't forget about Harold Legania either. He's made a visit here and his offer still stands. Ford seems very unlikely, but Ash is a nice shot.

Cornerback--Hopefully Price stays with us. From the list of guys that we appear to have a chance at-Rashad Knight and RobDonavan Lewis look like the best. Tyrone Bouie visited in September, is a 3-star according to Rivals, but does not have a real great offer list as of yet.
Kenny Bell is another guy worth keeping an eye on. There are about 3-4 other guys with standing offers at CB, but I think those are the main guys worth considering.

Defensive End--Nduka Onyeali or Tobi Okuyemi would fit well here. We may need more than one here.
We also have standing offers for Wendell Beckwith and Vincent Johnson. Neither have other BCS offers, but that seems to be our MO this year. I also question if Onyeali has the size to play DE.

Offensive Tackle--Obviously Seantrel Henderson would be huge here. According to Rivals, we have an offer to Dan Foose from New Jersey, 3 star 6'6" 310 lbs. That would be a good fall-back.
Foose isn't interested, rivals just hasn't updated.

Running Back--I am not as concerned if we don't get a big recruit here. We have Kirkwood committed, it looks like he could be good. If Calvin Phillips ends up here in 2011, we may have a real player. Also, Lamonte Edwards could end up as a RB. However, I certainly would not be uspet if we landed Josh Huff, Dontae Williams, Brandon Gainer, or Rajaan Bennett.
I'm still holding out hope for Andre Dawson, who seems likely to commit to one of his B10 offers. I'm not sure why Iowa doesn't want him at RB, but I think they are wrong.

Nice job overall. Hopefully when I get done updating the recruiting database this information will be easier to find.

I'm still holding out hope for Andre Dawson, who seems likely to commit to one of his B10 offers. I'm not sure why Iowa doesn't want him at RB, but I think they are wrong.

Because he's basically a not as good version of Marcus Coker, and they're really deep at running back once Hampton gets healthy (he, A-Rob, and Wegher will all just be sophomores next year). I think Dawson probably winds up at Illinois, although Iowa State is also a possibility if they ever offer.

I like Dawson more than Coker. From what I've heard from Iowa recruiting people, Dawson basically wants to play immediately, and may even go to N. Iowa or a MAC school to do it. I'm guessing someone will talk him out of that though.

I wouldn't forget about Harold Legania either. He's made a visit here and his offer still stands. Ford seems very unlikely, but Ash is a nice shot.

Kenny Bell is another guy worth keeping an eye on. There are about 3-4 other guys with standing offers at CB, but I think those are the main guys worth considering.

We also have standing offers for Wendell Beckwith and Vincent Johnson. Neither have other BCS offers, but that seems to be our MO this year. I also question if Onyeali has the size to play DE.

Foose isn't interested, rivals just hasn't updated.

Nice job overall. Hopefully when I get done updating the recruiting database this information will be easier to find.

We're not recruiting Dawson as a running back either (WR).

why do we have standing offers for johnson and beckwith? are they that good? also what are the chances that dawson comes to the U? if he wants playing time early than he would/should be thinking about us because the illini are stacked with young backs

All i know is that we are going to get Dontae Williams

All i know is that we are going to get Dontae Williams

No....we are not. His is committing to Oregon on October 31. It is all but set in stone. I thought we would have a chance, but that was until I found out his best friend is going to be the future quarterback and he already tried to commit but they wouldn't let him because they do not let recruits commit to the team until they have taken an official visit. Their facilities are such an unfair recruiting tool, and it doesn't help that they are playing extremely well right now. A couple more solid years and the gophers will land a player like him.

After the last few weeks, I am not nearly as uneasy as I was with our RB situation. If Whaley can stay out of trouble, I think he will be the #1 back next year, if not this year.

No....we are not. His is committing to Oregon on October 31. It is all but set in stone. I thought we would have a chance, but that was until I found out his best friend is going to be the future quarterback and he already tried to commit but they wouldn't let him because they do not let recruits commit to the team until they have taken an official visit. Their facilities are such an unfair recruiting tool, and it doesn't help that they are playing extremely well right now. A couple more solid years and the gophers will land a player like him.
We've already landed players like him. As far as prospects go, Michael Carter and Marquies Gray were both better.

That said, you're right, he's going to Oregon.

why do we have standing offers for johnson and beckwith? are they that good? also what are the chances that dawson comes to the U? if he wants playing time early than he would/should be thinking about us because the illini are stacked with young backs
Becuase we have a lot of DE's graduating and they are hard to find I would guess. Probably the same reason we offered to Josh Tauefa.

ESPN seems high on Beckwith, although he needs to put on weight. I know nothing about Johnson except that he came in on a visit last week.

Have any of you seen Henderson play? If you did not know he was ranked number one in the country you would think he is just another high school lineman. Remember, he is big for high school but just the same old same old for height and weight compared to other college tackles. All the college coaches as well as his handlers have ruined the kids work ethic by sucking up to him. The reason Pride got an offer is because he is good friends with Henderson. You guys put to much on stars from Rivals, etc. Like a coach at Boston College said " it is the National Enquirer of recuriting".

Is Roszell Gayden still in the picture? I've gotten mixed information on him. JUCO guys on the line are often a shot in the dark (see Wills), but he's ranked very highly.

It would be great to get Henderson and Allen, but in their absence, my thoughts are right in line with gopherbeef's, whose post is excellent.

Have any of you seen Henderson play? If you did not know he was ranked number one in the country you would think he is just another high school lineman. Remember, he is big for high school but just the same old same old for height and weight compared to other college tackles. All the college coaches as well as his handlers have ruined the kids work ethic by sucking up to him. The reason Pride got an offer is because he is good friends with Henderson. You guys put to much on stars from Rivals, etc. Like a coach at Boston College said " it is the National Enquirer of recuriting".

No, I have not seen him play, but I would hope that all of the people ranking him and all of the coaches recruiting him have a clue what they are doing. To be the #1 ranked player by pretty much all of the recruiting services is likely not an accident.

AND, 6'8" 300 lbs prior to his senior year in HS is "same old same old" for college tackles? Maybe the weight, today, but look after a couple years in a college weight program and he is probably 320-330 lbs.

So, with that post, are you saying that we should not go after Henderson because he is just "another high school lineman"?

The rating services are certainly not perfect, but I would imagine that many, many more 4 and 5 star recruits end up being college and pro stars than lesser ranked players.

No, I have not seen him play, but I would hope that all of the people ranking him and all of the coaches recruiting him have a clue what they are doing. To be the #1 ranked player by pretty much all of the recruiting services is likely not an accident.

AND, 6'8" 300 lbs prior to his senior year in HS is "same old same old" for college tackles? Maybe the weight, today, but look after a couple years in a college weight program and he is probably 320-330 lbs.So, with that post, are you saying that we should not go after Henderson because he is just "another high school lineman"?

The rating services are certainly not perfect, but I would imagine that many, many more 4 and 5 star recruits end up being college and pro stars than lesser ranked players.

Just an FYI he is already 330+ in the weight category

Top Bottom