Recruiting

loki

Reaction score
I am a huge gopher fan so don't go after me and say I am not a fan for writing this. Maybe I am not being patiient enough and I don't say this lightly but I am not impressed with many of the recent Brewster recruits. They seem very Masonish to me. Brewsters strength is recruiting and it has seem to have gone down recently. I am not all about the star system and ok with some
2* star athletes but we have some big holes to fill (OL, RB, DT, DB, etc...) and if you want to compete with the big boys you need to pull in at least high 3's and 4* star players. Somebody pull me back from the brink and help me understand why I am wrong.

It seems to me that when Brewster first came here, he was so pumped up and working at what seemed to be 110% at all times to try and get this team on another level. His first two recruiting classes definitely showed that but at some point you have to wonder if the continuous grind to try and bring talent from all over the country has started to wear on him a bit.

He doesn't have much to work with in his own back yard which he once had while he was at Texas. Now that the depth charts are starting to fill out some more, playing time is a harder sell and it appears it will be much more difficult to bring in the highly regarded recruits from the south when they may have to sit a few years as opposed to stepping in right away. But who knows, we still are actually in the running for a lot of solid prospects. Most of them are going to weigh all their options before they make a commitment to anyone.

I am a huge gopher fan so don't go after me and say I am not a fan for writing this. Maybe I am not being patiient enough and I don't say this lightly but I am not impressed with many of the recent Brewster recruits. They seem very Masonish to me. Brewsters strength is recruiting and it has seem to have gone down recently. I am not all about the star system and ok with some
2* star athletes but we have some big holes to fill (OL, RB, DT, DB, etc...) and if you want to compete with the big boys you need to pull in at least high 3's and 4* star players. Somebody pull me back from the brink and help me understand why I am wrong.

You are not wrong. You are correct. I think his lack of an extension is hurting recruiting this year. At least I hope that is the problem. Not saying he should be getting an automatic extension after what happened last year with the Iowa game, but it is an easy point to make for competing recruiters.

I think we're just a little too early to pass judgement on this class. Give it a few weeks.

Idk I agree on one hand but don't on the other. I think we need to give this class till signing day before we start judging it. I can understand your concern though because I've had some of the same thoughts...like the 2* and not rated guys I'm like really why?...I mean I know Decker was a 2* but still that's rare. I mean stars really aren't everything obviously...that's why I always like to find a video before passing judgment...but still its a pretty good gauge and your right if we're gonna complete at a high level we NEED to consistently bring in 3* and 4* recruits at positions of need. Its just the way it is.

It is pretty standard for a new coach to have a bump in recruiting the first 2 years because they can preach change, playing time, etc.. Beyond those seasons then you cannot sell that as easy anymore and recruits want to see winning on the field and competing for championships, which we are not there yet. While our talent is improving it is at many other programs in the big ten as well(i.e. Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan State, etc..). My real concern is that while our baseline talent level may be improving, we are not gaining any ground on our fellow conference schools because they are increasing talent at the same or greater rate. Then it comes down to who has the better coaching and the verdict is still out here especially with the level of turnover on the staff, which hurts recruiting as well.

Oh man, classic. He's recruiting TOO hard! Oh god, hilarious stuff. Delusional but hilarious! :clap:

Why are people paying such close attention to stars at this time of the year. All the rating services make mid year and end of the year adjustments. If you look closely you'll see a a lot of misinformation as to weight, 40 times even position. Lately some of this has been getting cleaned up so maybe an update is due, but until it is, I wouldn't worry.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

Recruiting expectations have been set unrealistically high. That's it.

If you look at Rivals' top 250, the vast majority of the commits have been to perrenial top 25 programs, something Minnesota hasn't been in 40 years. We had great recruiting classes the last two years in part due to Brewster, and in part due to the immediacy of playing time, which is particularly a huge draw for Junior College players. We have also taken chances on numerous players for academic reasons, which has been met with questionable success. There is almost always a spike in recruiting when a coaching staff takes over, if there is a perceived lack of results, things tend to dip. We can ensure that doesn't happen this season, but it hasn't happened yet.

Some people are going to misconstrue my statement as a bash on Minnesota. If anything, this is a huge compliment to what Brewster has accomplished recruiting-wise, but the small drop off should not be a surprise to anyone. We aren't going to recruit like a top 25 program consistantly until we actually are a top 25 program consistantly.

im not worried anymore. i believe when its all said and done we will be just fine. i do think that Pete is right though. when a coach is out there recruiting a kid they want to make sure the same guy will be in place for his 4 or 5 years he is at the university. also if you read comments from the visitors it seems like our coaches are telling the recruits to make 100% sure they are going to stay with their pledge. i feel like the coaches are telling the players that if they are going to take other visits than take them before making a snap decision.

usually when there is a jump in recruiting it is due to the instate kids committing not out of state recruits

When it's all over, there will be no drop off. Patience.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

Recruiting expectations have been set unrealistically high. That's it.

If you look at Rivals' top 250, the vast majority of the commits have been to perrenial top 25 programs, something Minnesota hasn't been in 40 years. We had great recruiting classes the last two years in part due to Brewster, and in part due to the immediacy of playing time, which is particularly a huge draw for Junior College players. We have also taken chances on numerous players for academic reasons, which has been met with questionable success. There is almost always a spike in recruiting when a coaching staff takes over, if there is a perceived lack of results, things tend to dip. We can ensure that doesn't happen this season, but it hasn't happened yet.

Some people are going to misconstrue my statement as a bash on Minnesota. If anything, this is a huge compliment to what Brewster has accomplished recruiting-wise, but the small drop off should not be a surprise to anyone. We aren't going to recruit like a top 25 program consistantly until we actually are a top 25 program consistantly.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Oh man, classic. He's recruiting TOO hard! Oh god, hilarious stuff. Delusional but hilarious! :clap:

Barrero, do you know much about college football? I hear you don't sound like you know what you are talking about on your show much so I just want to make sure :pig:

Barrero, do you know much about college football? I hear you don't sound like you know what you are talking about on your show much so I just want to make sure :pig:

Demi does not equal Danny B.
Demi is most likely a bobo working for Barrero. Dan Barrero wouldn't lower himself to post on this site.
Whatever/whoever Demi is, he/she isn't very smart.

this class has 15 commits, out of 28. it has two excellent four star minnesota players (tell me we would have lended these guys when mason was here). a three star QB and two three star linemen out of WISCONSIN, think about that a minute, the gophers nabbing three star linemen from wisconsin. as well as two three stars from illinois.

so the gophers have 13 spots (or 14-15 if brewster oversigns).

we have a good shot at two of the top three minnesota kids, allen and okeyumi, and a possibility with henderson.

not to mention other players we have a legit shot at.

EDIT: not to mention the two possible 4* commits the gophers have for the 2011 class, pretty sure the gophers are the only team in the big ten already filling out their 2011 class. i think we might be a little spoiled.

RB: dontae williams 4*
ehtan grant 4*
andre johnson 3*
deandre johnson 3*
james c white 3*

receivers:
toby durham 3*
marq. hill 3*
kenny bell 3*

OL:
ragoo 3*
gayden 4*
packer mack 3*

LB:
onyeli 3*
kissenbeth 3*

DB:
price 3*
bouie 3*
campbell 3*

not to mention the overall class is 5th in the big ten and could very easily pass up MSU wil a couple high profile commits. go to rivals and compare minnesota's commit list to illinois, wisconsin, MSU, iowa. it is as good, if not better. as schnoodler said, give it some time.

also we have two possible four star recruits lined up for 2011. i think that the gophers are the only team already rounding out the 2011 class;)

What if we get Gayden (for a 2nd time) and Ragoo? Obviously we keep a spot for Henderson as well.
That's an awful lot of OL in this class. Gayden would play right away next year (or don't bother brining him in as a JC), and Henderson obvioulsy would play too. When would some of these other guys get on the field? We have a lot of RFrosh and Sophs in the system for OL. After losing Lipscomb, I would love to see us oversign RBs, DTs, LBs, and DBs before OL.

I'm looking to bigger recruitniks than me to chime in here, but hasn't Gayden moved on to considering other teams?

Yes, we aren't going to get Gayden.

can you tell me exactly why you say that?

according to this article he said:

"and football, I just want a chance to play on the field next year."

i'm pretty sure he would get a good look at the field next year.

i know that he hasn't been too keen to talk about minnesota, but that doesn't mean that we are off his list.

also we have two possible four star recruits lined up for 2011. i think that the gophers are the only team already rounding out the 2011 class;)

Not to be too much of a downer but one of those recruits (Phillips) is in trouble with the law and I think kicked off his high school team for a period? The other (Olson) is apparently wide open in his recruiting, according to his coach.

not to mention the overall class is 5th in the big ten and could very easily pass up MSU wil a couple high profile commits. go to rivals and compare minnesota's commit list to illinois, wisconsin, MSU, iowa. it is as good, if not better. as schnoodler said, give it some time.

this is all relative. you can go to scout.com and minnesota's class in the B10 is ranked 8th. they only schools in the B10 they minnesota better than are iowa, purdue and northwestern.

Folks it takes time. Take at the 2002 class ranking for Cal on either Rivals or Scout then look at 2003, 2004, and 2005 (monster class)

As a poster said earlier it's easy at first because you have all sorts of playing time, but in year three recruits want to see results. However, what you have going for you in your new stadium and the locker rooms. You have the biggest locker room in the country.

If 8-4 comes through the class will be really solid and Brewster will start building depth. It takes time to build up to Ohio St. Michigan and Penn St. It takes the better portion of a decade to get to the point where you can have the necessary depth to maintain consistency in winning and challenge the big boys.

To again use Cal as an example. Coach Tedford was able to get close to the BCS in year three but the depth wasn't there. Through the last 4 years there have been various issues but the depth has continued to grow to the point where the expectations each year are 9+ win seasons and in certain years BCS type seasons.

Us Cal fans are hoping this will be a BCS type season, but make no mistake we are expecting a BCS caliber season in 2010 as well. (Return SR QB, return 4 starters on Oline etc.)

The other point is being able to go national with recruiting. Obviously Minnesota's recruiting strategy is much different than Cal's merely from the standpoint that there are nowhere near as many recruits in Minnesota and the Gophers are forced to go outsdie the state to recruits but what I'm talking about is being able to go into California, Texas, Florida, Louisana, etc and sell top notch recruits to take a look.

It's take Cal 8 years to finally be able to recruit on a national scale.

Main message of my post is be patient with recruiting. It's not an overnight process. Of course getting Seantrel would be a huge step in the right direction.

I understand the concern here, but U just want to note some things here. Calling the current group of commits "Masonish" is flawed. Now, if every single recruit in the class from here on out is 2* or less, maybe then you could say that. But Mason's best classes barely even touch the quality of this one already, and there are several highly rated guys out there who could very well choose Minnesota still. It does look like it will be a notch down from the '08 class, yes, but it's too early to really declare this class anything. Especially since all the ratings are preliminary and who knows who will actually end up where. For all we know, Willie Tatum could end up being a 4* with a good senior year. But what we do know, is that the staff went out, identified guys they liked, and offered them scholarships. I don't think Brewster and the staff would just "settle" on lesser talent, I think we're seeing the affect of the staff being ultra proactive in their recruiting in identifying guys they want, caring little about what recruiting services say about them. And if you look at all three (Rivals, Scout, and ESPN), you'll see quite a range of ratings for different guys. Tom Parish is a 5.7 3* on Rivals, while being a 73 rated 2* on ESPN. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the staff is offering them, they want them here, and if they want them here, I will reserve judgment till I see the product on the field.

Top Bottom