Recruiting

We spent 30 years in the dump that the Vikings built and all people did was complain about not being on campus. Now we have a great on campus stadium and some are talking about wanting to play at US Bank Stadium, what is wrong with you people

People are talking about playing one game there, not every home game over 30 years. Slight difference...

How did that recruiting thing work for us in the early 1980's when we had the Metrodome? How did that recruiting work when we built the indoor practice facilities in the early 1980's? How did that recruiting thing work for us when we built TCF Stadium? The new facilities will be nice, but don't for a second think it is going to automatically bring in players that we wouldn't have gotten before the it was built. Recruiting classes in the middle of the BIG10 is about as good as we can hope for, honestly.

Building a shed for football in the 80's is not exactly a practice facility.

Let's review, PJ Fleck hired January 6, 2017. National Signing Day February 1, 2017. 24 days or 3 weeks if you prefer. Did not lose any instate commitment. Hired a staff, filled a recruiting class with players that meet his checklist. And the woe is us crowd is in charge with this will never change. Wake up he made it clear he is recruiting 2018 and 2019 already. He said he could bring in 6 defensive tackles next year. He stated DT is the hardest to find. In college or the pros. In looking into his staff we will see players from Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kentucky. The Hiring of Bryce Paup will sell those defensive players who want a chance to play at the next level. Ed Warinner is a also a signal to a recruit that you can go as far in this game as your talent will take you.

It nice to have facilities, but better to have personalities who can develop you.

I agree with this take except Wisconsin. They've been pretty damn good for the last 15 years. It will probably take us quite a few years of similar (Rose Bowls, 10+ win seasons) to expect similar types of recruits. I actually am surprised Wisconsin does not recruit better than they do. As much as I hate them, it is a fun place to watch a game. They win at a pretty high level.

Don't mix up team results with recruiting class rankings. Hasn't it been reported repeatedly that the Sconny typically doesn't get highly rated players. I think our recent classes under Kill were not too far away from Sconny or Iowa. PJ should be able more than close those gaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if we'd ever be able to sustain that success over a long period of time, but I believe Fleck can and will deliver Minnesota a top-20 recruiting class at some point.

First of all we are too cold, too long without championships, too negative, too few division 1 players coming out of Minnesota, too few pro-Gopher media folks, too ............, too short, too slow, what else did Coach Fleck say when describing himself. Coach Fleck eats challenges like this for breakfast. 13 and 0 at WMU and played the guys east of us pretty darn good in the Cotton Bowl. We have something very special going on here. I suggest we all buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Someone once asked a sportswriter if he thought Nick Sabin would ever coach again in the pros. The sportswriter replied, "Why would he want to give up the number one pick at every team position each recruiting year?" The advantages schools like Alabama and Ohio State have in recruiting are insurmountable for most college football programs to achieve, let alone exceed. These include recent decades of winning traditions, television exposure, fan bases, facilities and quality of head coaches and their staffs.
What Minnesota has to be concerned with is the Big Ten West. Here the story is much different. Minnesota now has the facilities, administration backing (e.g., willingness to pay up for a head coach, borrow to build the new training facility and so forth) and relative success recently. The Gophers should be able to players better than Iowa and as good as Wisconsin very soon. If Fleck can get a few four stars each year as Nebraska still does, Minnesota could end up #1 in recruiting in the Big 10 West. On the other hand, four star recruits among those schools not in the top 20 in recruiting (a similar list, year and year out) are few and far between.

I will have what this guy is drinking! Lol

About Wisconsin, I think there are two things in play.

-Madison Wi itself is a very appealing place to recruit to. The city if very nice with the two large lakes and a great campus, plus Camp Randall does have incredible atmosphere. The town is bigger than your average nice college town, yet the scale is manageable and you can still get to Chicago and Mliwaukee in a hurry if you are looking for a change of pace.

-Barry Alverez, Donna S, Pat Richter- The AD has been in a very strong position at UW since Barry was hired as FB coach and still is today. The AD, President, and Regents are all on the same page, and there is a great level of commitment and stability all the way down to the HC of FB and BB, that leads to great results.

#2 is the main reason UW has been almost great for a long time.

Not to get too deep into (again) into what went down here recently, and we are all wallowing in but things would have been dealt with very differently in Madison. And not, I am not suggesting the Barry and his leaders would have just brushed the case under the rug, they would have gotten control of the situation early, been out in front of the story and moved forward together in a coherent way that would have sent a different message to the media that would have helped in forming public opinion. Leadership at UW has to deal with title 1X as well, but I suspect Kimberly Hewitt and their version of EOAA would not have driven the whole agenda.

As Sid and everyone always point out, there is a reason it has been 50 years since a Big Ten Championship, and it all starts with the leadership and lack of it. Paying 3.5M to a coach and building a good facility are a good start, but if the leaders are what they are, then it might not matter.

I don't mean a formal relationship. I meant more like games at US Bank. I like that Fleck is going to pro sporting events and that sort of thing. I think one of our selling points is that we are in a major metropolitan area and it's nice to embrace those perks.

Could the U get a box at US Bank stadium and take the recruits to a Vikings game on Sunday before they left?

I believe some recruits took US Bank Stadium tour recently. Took that as a good start.

Top Bottom