Recruiting the South

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
From the Footballscoop piece on Brian Kelly. https://footballscoop.com/news/lsus...g-is-superior-in-the-south-possible-nfl-plans

Reiterating his belief that LSU affords him a better opportunity to win a national championship at college football’s top level, Kelly also issued his take on why recruiting in the South is both more convenient and featuring a greater depth of talent.

“Lack of distractions. They’re not sitting in front of PlayStations,” Kelly said. “There’s not a lot of other things that take them away from field sports; they’re outside playing for the most part.

“Whether it’s being involved in football or track and field or training, they’re involved in this game. It’s something that they can do year-round. The weather obviously has a lot to do with it, the ability to play spring football. All of those things, although they seem small, when you add them up, each one contributes to really good high school football, really good feeder systems relative to colleges that are down there. In particular, kids grow up wanting to play at the flagship school. There’s not a lot of state universities that have that. Maybe Ohio State and LSU benefit the most from in-state where (kids say), ‘I want to go play for the Buckeyes. I want to go play for the Tigers.’ Because of that, it makes for really good recruiting.”

Is he implying a lack of electricity in the south prevents them from playing video games? Something like that could get him canceled. 😂
Or a lack of money implying kids can't afford them? That's a touchy subject and I think it deserves a follow up conversation and possible firing.

That reads like BK is just throwing out weird-o anecdotes ...

Some of those don't make any sense at all.

For BK the biggest reason for his move I suspect was

1.) ND administration really seems less interested in football.

2.) Money.

Everything else is an after the fact excuse.

The biggest difference between a 3 star from Minnesota and a 3 star from “the south” is that the 3 star from Minnesota has likely played far less football. More room to grow IMO.
Agreed....and while you might be getting a more polished player from the south, that player may have also hit his peak.

2.) Money.

It also let him get in touch with his natural Louisiana accent.

2.) Money.

I think you could be on to something with #1. Unlike others, I don't hate Notre Dame - I generally like them more than I don't, but I don't tune into NBC to watch every game.

It wouldn't surprise me if ND administration is comfortable with the football program being competitive but doesn't want to put the money into it to take them to the next level. I also think there is a lot of pressure to keep Notre Dame the way it always has been. I am assuming changing much is a hard thing around there.

I think you could be on to something with #1. Unlike others, I don't hate Notre Dame - I generally like them more than I don't, but I don't tune into NBC to watch every game.

It wouldn't surprise me if ND administration is comfortable with the football program being competitive but doesn't want to put the money into it to take them to the next level. I also think there is a lot of pressure to keep Notre Dame the way it always has been. I am assuming changing much is a hard thing around there.
It certianly seemed to be the case with the whole Andy Ludwig situation:

2.) Money.

I don't buy #1 for a second. They have been pretty quick to fire HCs. It's a big part of the identity of the university.

Or a lack of money implying kids can't afford them? That's a touchy subject and I think it deserves a follow up conversation and possible firing.
I also read this and thought that he was basically saying that it’s easier for him to get poor people focused on football

I also read this and thought that he was basically saying that it’s easier for him to get poor people focused on football
Wonder if there is data about being outside vs playing video games. I know in my neighborhood there are kids you only see once the snow is gone. Yesterday the park was full of kids/parents playing football, basketball and baseball. Last time that happened was 6 months ago. Althought Kelly has no data, access in the south to outdoor play if higher than in the north.

A glance at college and pro football teams show one salient fact.
Black players are represented in far greater numbers than their percentage in the whole population.
There are more Black players in the South so it is indeed easier to recruit in the South.
Frost said as much when he left FL for NE.

Agreed....and while you might be getting a more polished player from the south, that player may have also hit his peak.
That's a real stretch. Are high school seniors in the South a different age than those in Minnesota? Six, seven years older? Athletes hit peak performance generally in mid to late 20s.

Wonder if there is data about being outside vs playing video games. I know in my neighborhood there are kids you only see once the snow is gone. Yesterday the park was full of kids/parents playing football, basketball and baseball. Last time that happened was 6 months ago. Althought Kelly has no data, access in the south to outdoor play if higher than in the north.
My thoughts on this stemmed from the video game comment more than anything.

Jeez you guys are looking for something that isn't there, unless I'm just not familiar with some of, wait for it...."y'alls" sarcasm. (That's my Brian Kelly accent there.)

I read it and thought that southern kids are out being active while northern kids can't be. Don't you also notice how competitive the southern colleges are at baseball too?

When the weather is nice, people tend to spend more time outside. You guys are overthinking that concept.

This is why I was way more excited over Justin Walley committing versus Steven Ortiz and why I'm excited about Tariq Watson.

That's a real stretch. Are high school seniors in the South a different age than those in Minnesota? Six, seven years older? Athletes hit peak performance generally in mid to late 20s.
"My penny stock has waaaaaaaaay more room to grow than your shares of Amazon!"

Football----southern kids can play 7 on 7 all year long....
Baseball---obviously southern kids can play all year long....
Basketball---not so much
"Peaking" probably wasn't the right word. What you see (and the exposure southern kids get) is a recruit who may be much shinier(?) and more honed but not necessarily a better athlete/player.

Jeez you guys are looking for something that isn't there, unless I'm just not familiar with some of, wait for it...."y'alls" sarcasm. (That's my Brian Kelly accent there.)

I read it and thought that southern kids are out being active while northern kids can't be. Don't you also notice how competitive the southern colleges are at baseball too?

When the weather is nice, people tend to spend more time outside. You guys are overthinking that concept.
Exactly.

The reason the south produces the most talent in football is the same reason why states like MN, MI, and MA produce the most talent in hockey. The respective climates offer more opportunities to play each game. I really don't think it's that deep.

Basketball---not so much
"Peaking" probably wasn't the right word. What you see (and the exposure southern kids get) is a recruit who may be much shinier(?) and more honed but not necessarily a better athlete/player.
I was in Texas for Spring break and drove by a fully padded you football practice taking place in March.

I feel like first warm trend the whole neighborhood is outside.

Mid July dog days…. may as well be winter again as far as people traffic.

Basketball---not so much
Granted. But coaches are mostly looking for guys furthest along who will be ready to play earlier. Nobody can afford a recruiting class of project maybies some of whom might help you as 5th year seniors.

This becomes even more true with the portal. Guys who see little hope after a year or two (eg. Knuth) are going to leave.j

He may not have meant it this way but he's really saying it's an advantage to recruit where a greater percentage of kids are poor. He's not necessarily wrong. Unfortunately for many kids, sports may be one of the only ways for them to get out of the tough situation they're in.

He may not have meant it this way but he's really saying it's an advantage to recruit where a greater percentage of kids are poor. He's not necessarily wrong. Unfortunately for many kids, sports may be one of the only ways for them to get out of the tough situation they're in.
Don't think he meant it and don't think it's true. It's an advantage to recruit where kids play the highest caliber high school football. That is why Fleck has put so much effort into working Georgia, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana.

Don't think he meant it and don't think it's true. It's an advantage to recruit where kids play the highest caliber high school football. That is why Fleck has put so much effort into working Georgia, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana.
How else would you interpret "There’s not a lot of other things that take them away from field sports"? There's still electricity and playstations and iphones and movie theaters. The only thing that prevents those things from being available would be if you're poor.

Top Bottom